GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Delemma! What do you guys think?

fullback

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently bought a K&N filter for my golf 6 2.5L. I tell my friend and fellow golf owner and he flips out saying that a performance filter will damage my MAF. It sounded reasonable so I brought it up with the mechanic at the dealership and he told me that a K&N was a great idea. I'm inclined to agree with a VW mechanic on this one but I have heard enough people tell me about damaging my MAF that I'm still confused. What do you guys think?

EvL BuNNY

Ready to race!
your friend doesnt know what he's talking about...

Bender1

Banned
any "oiled" filter (like a K&N) can damage an MAF - that said it is rare and is normally a result of the person over oiling it after cleaning it.

Do it right and you should be ok.

That said, dry flow filters are the hotness. I think AEM makes them.

EvL BuNNY

Ready to race!
your better off getting a full intake system... ill be going with the bsh race intake after i get a downpipe

mortis

Ready to race!
Toyota uses the K&N filters on several FJ Cruiser and Tacoma models we sell. No problems.

fullback

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the help and the statement from the K&N site made up my mind. I went ahead and installed the filter and it sounds and drives great.

DarkCloak

Banned
It does occur on 1.8Ts (although still rare) from the mk4gti/mk1 TT era. It occured with my friends TT225 you could feel the oil on the MAF after throwing a CEL. After he switched to a foam filter all was good. We were able to just clean off the MAF with CARB cleaner and the CELs never came back.

The fact that APR and others are using cottin K&N styles leads me to guess that this is not a concern of theirs.