GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Install Pricing?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So went to another 2 local shops today and yup they looked at this down pipe baffled, both charged me 300 & 350 to install an o2bung and instal whole down pipe...they also said it would take about 3 hours -_- so I'm going to safely assume these people don't know what they're doing when it comes to gti exhaust systems
well like maybe you should have talked to an exhaust shop about modifying it before you pulled the trigger on the cheap one you knew needed to be modified.

have you gone to an actual muffler place yet? They may be more reasonable when it comes to the modifying of the exhuast if you show them exactly where the bung needs to be and what the flange set up needs.

Or ya know sell the dp to someone else and buy the cheapest CBFA downpipe you can get.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
well like maybe you should have talked to an exhaust shop about modifying it before you pulled the trigger on the cheap one you knew needed to be modified.

have you gone to an actual muffler place yet? They may be more reasonable when it comes to the modifying of the exhuast if you show them exactly where the bung needs to be and what the flange set up needs.

Or ya know sell the dp to someone else and buy the cheapest CBFA downpipe you can get.

i have found pictures that show exactly what needs to be done when it comes to where to add o2 bung and how to cut the flange holes, hopefully this will clarify and help them understand alot easier than me trying to translate what i need in broken spanish lol... I was pretty limited to shops as I get out of work at 530 and most shops close here from 5-6 so im literally just walking in wherever they are open lol....Im going to wait until Saturday and just spend a day going shop to shop, and doing the modification and installl is still cheaper than buying a cbfa downpipe from what Ive searched, finding a budget cbfa downpipe was my first option just didnt seem to workout for me

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i have found pictures that show exactly what needs to be done when it comes to where to add o2 bung and how to cut the flange holes, hopefully this will clarify and help them understand alot easier than me trying to translate what i need in broken spanish lol... I was pretty limited to shops as I get out of work at 530 and most shops close here from 5-6 so im literally just walking in wherever they are open lol....Im going to wait until Saturday and just spend a day going shop to shop, and doing the modification and installl is still cheaper than buying a cbfa downpipe from what Ive searched, finding a budget cbfa downpipe was my first option just didnt seem to workout for me
i think they are around $300 for a budget one. But to each your own good look, i hope you find a shop that will do it for you economically and not F your stuff up.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113396
Here is a CTS downpipe on the forum for $200.00 if you wanted to looks for a CBFA downpipe on the cheap

nagokart

Ready to race!
I installed a Beluga CCTA DP onto my CBFA. I brought the DP to the muffler shop and had them weld the o2 bung on for $35. I used a rotary tool to modify the DP to fit onto CBFA engines and installed it myself in under 2 hours. Was literally just cutting and boring out a hole. There are pics all over that show what to modify. I would purchase a new turbo gasket and use that to measure out what to cut.

Invest in a dremel or comparable rotary tool, purchase some stands, and just DIY. Not only will you have a rotary tool in your kit, you'll have plenty of money in your pocket leftover for other mods, and the satisfaction of installing it yourself.

indosilver

The downpipe install isn't too bad, but it is kind of a pain getting to all the flange bolts. Other than that though modifying the DP doesn't cost $400 lol. Like others said, do some googling and do this project yourself, even the welding isn't hard and doesn't have to be pretty being on the underside of the car

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
Did my full Billy Boat 3 “ exhaust on Golf R at a friends drive way for $150 [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
So, got the beluga downpipe modded and installed finally...to my resonator deleted stock cat back(got the resonator delete about 8/9 months ago)...lets just say I screwed up lmao, I didn't think the resonator delete would have altered the sound that much with the cat less dp, but boyyyyyyy is this thing LOUD!!! This is obnoxiously loud, and not the good kind at least for my taste....that dsg fart in "manual" mode sounds like gunshotsx2, I WOT down 2 blocks, everyone's head is turning...definitely not the ricer attention I want or need at this day in age lol, it's safe to say next week I'm getting the resonator put back on, hopefully it'll quiet down a bit and if not, I guess it's time to start hunting down a nicer catback, might just go full beluga and get the back half for $200-300

Laimface

Ready to race!
So, got the beluga downpipe modded and installed finally...to my resonator deleted stock cat back(got the resonator delete about 8/9 months ago)...lets just say I screwed up lmao, I didn't think the resonator delete would have altered the sound that much with the cat less dp, but boyyyyyyy is this thing LOUD!!! This is obnoxiously loud, and not the good kind at least for my taste....that dsg fart in "manual" mode sounds like gunshotsx2, I WOT down 2 blocks, everyone's head is turning...definitely not the ricer attention I want or need at this day in age lol, it's safe to say next week I'm getting the resonator put back on, hopefully it'll quiet down a bit and if not, I guess it's time to start hunting down a nicer catback, might just go full beluga and get the back half for $200-300

Don't panic! I made the same mistake. A $40 Vibrant bottle resonator fixed it right up!!

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1792-Bottle-Style-Resonator/dp/B000E3VHVO

Sounds 100% better with the res:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

How much did the modifications and install end up costing you?

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
How much did the modifications and install end up costing you?

Was able to get it down to $275(best i could find, most european shops wanted $350-$500) and just bit the bullet, took about 2 hours....no cel or anything,until this afternoon lol I should be going cobb/strat tune in about a month so if anything I might just leave the CEL until then....but now I need to find either a high flow cat or deciede if putting resonator back on would be best to quiet this down

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Was able to get it down to $275(best i could find, most european shops wanted $350-$500) and just bit the bullet, took about 2 hours....no cel or anything,until this afternoon lol I should be going cobb/strat tune in about a month so if anything I might just leave the CEL until then....but now I need to find either a high flow cat or deciede if putting resonator back on would be best to quiet this down
my vote would be to try a resonator. they are usually cheaper than cats so thats a plus too. Also i ran with the CEL from the downpipe for a month or so before my tune.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
my vote would be to try a resonator. they are usually cheaper than cats so thats a plus too. Also i ran with the CEL from the downpipe for a month or so before my tune.

Resonator would be cheapest since I still have my stock one in the garage....yeah ill add that first and then deciede if its quiet enough, if not ill just buy a cat right there from the shop.....if it doesnt cost an arm and a leg:thumbup:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Resonator would be cheapest since I still have my stock one in the garage....yeah ill add that first and then deciede if its quiet enough, if not ill just buy a cat right there from the shop.....if it doesnt cost an arm and a leg:thumbup:
i think most cats would cost about 100-200+ depending on how nice of quality the cat is.

Lol looks like it was right and you should have just bought one of thsoe 4-500 CBFA catted downpipes like people recommended to you.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
i think most cats would cost about 100-200+ depending on how nice of quality the cat is.

Lol looks like it was right and you should have just bought one of thsoe 4-500 CBFA catted downpipes like people recommended to you.

Noise was the last thing on my mind when it came to getting downpipes, was convinced it wouldnt be too loud as no one really complains in the catless world ? Lol but this is my first owned car/modded car so i guess you live and learn....ive seen some magnaflow cats for $90 and then those ebay/amazon 50$ ones like the person above recommended but I'll see what I endup doing, will update as I go lol

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Noise was the last thing on my mind when it came to getting downpipes, was convinced it wouldnt be too loud as no one really complains in the catless world �� Lol but this is my first owned car/modded car so i guess you live and learn....ive seen some magnaflow cats for $90 and then those ebay/amazon 50$ ones like the person above recommended but I'll see what I endup doing, will update as I go lol
ahh thats true most of us Catless people are straight houligans lol
and yeahh lol we like loud things.