GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this a good plan for mods?

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
I already posted this at the top of the page, but most tuners just set the 02 Catalyst monitor's readiness to Not Ready instead of writing code to allow more flow in the sensor. It's cheaper and far faster and leaves room for them to make more money when you have to buy the 02 sensor.

Interesting, that would make sense.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I already posted this at the top of the page, but most tuners just set the 02 Catalyst monitor's readiness to Not Ready instead of writing code to allow more flow in the sensor. It's cheaper and far faster and leaves room for them to make more money when you have to buy the 02 sensor.
That's just for stage 2. I was talking about stage 1. Stage 1 tunes do not touch the actual readiness settings of the sensors.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
That's just for stage 2. I was talking about stage 1. Stage 1 tunes do not touch the actual readiness settings of the sensors.

That is correct. Although I can't imagine why you would get the DP and not go straight to stage 2? Just cheating yourself of a better, faster car.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
That is correct. Although I can't imagine why you would get the DP and not go straight to stage 2? Just cheating yourself of a better, faster car.
I'm going stage 1 + downpipe & spacers... I don't want to mess with changing tunes when smog time comes around. Just swapping pipes. The upgraded downpipe alone gives you almost as much power as the tune will. An extra 3psi (from ~16psi to ~19psi) is hardly any gain.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
this

I'm going stage 1 + downpipe & spacers... I don't want to mess with changing tunes when smog time comes around. Just swapping pipes. The upgraded downpipe alone gives you almost as much power as the tune will. An extra 3psi (from ~16psi to ~19psi) is hardly any gain.

its not adding 3 psi, stage 2 completely changes the power band. If you get a tune that offers program switching just get a stock file loaded that way you don't have to worry about getting reflashed for emissions. I drove on stage 1+ with a downpipe for several months, getting the proper tune for the downpipe added torque made everything much much better.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
Yes stage 2 adds 3psi over stage 1. It adjusts a lot of other little things to compensate for the extra boost, but that's primarily what it does. The power band altering is just a side effect of all the little adjustments. I've had multiple people say they enjoyed stage 1 with a downpipe as a daily driver. That and the fact that 93 octane doesn't exist in northern california...

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yes stage 2 adds 3psi over stage 1. It adjusts a lot of other little things to compensate for the extra boost, but that's primarily what it does. The power band altering is just a side effect of all the little adjustments. I've had multiple people say they enjoyed stage 1 with a downpipe as a daily driver. That and the fact that 93 octane doesn't exist in northern california...

They do make 91 octane stage 2 tunes... Also yes boost goes up a few lbs on stage 2, but they do change the whole power delivery. Why mess around trying to get stage one to not throw a Code for the downpipe when you can get stage two and throw no codes. Also there are multiple threads on here telling you how to set readiness for testing on stage two.

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
I believe they are only a distributor for the left over stock. Things are no longer being manufactured.

There are TONS of threads on downpipes, sound clips, and reviews. All comes down to personal preference and how much $ you have or are willing to spend.

First line is not true. They still make parts. While I originally was having difficulty with them, in the end they took care of me.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
First line is not true. They still make parts. While I originally was having difficulty with them, in the end they took care of me.

Im glad you are. Im awaiting on replies on a few emails to be answered from 7 months, 5months, and 3 months ago about items that were "back ordered".

Ill avoid them all together.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion

If your plan is just to go Stage 1, why spend the money on a downpipe at all? It may increase power a little bit, but certainly not enough to warrant the cost. A stage 1 tune will not be calibrated to take advantage of the better air flow, so I doubt you'll see much in the way of gains.

Spacers on a downpipe are very hit or miss as well. If you don't mind swapping the entire pipe when you have to go for testing, you may as well go catless and stage 2 until it's test time, swap the downpipe back to stock and flash the tune back to stock (APR, Revo, and GIAC I know for sure offer the capability to switch programs at home). That way you have full benefits with no downside.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Sounds good to me, however, I'd put the intercooler before the intake.

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
Im glad you are. Im awaiting on replies on a few emails to be answered from 7 months, 5months, and 3 months ago about items that were "back ordered".

Ill avoid them all together.

They're are most responsive through Facebook just so you know.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
They're are most responsive through Facebook just so you know.

True. Just seems dumb to have a email system if youre not going to use it.