GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are our doors supposed to be misaligned?

egti

Ready to race!
Tried to adjust the striker plate today because of some door rattle and found that both my front doors are not aligned. I got them aligned after the adjustment (after being yelled at by the wife for not helping with dinner and stuff -- she is still mad now), but the rattle is still there if not louder. Come to think of it, if the doors are not aligned, it will be stretched a bit and it tightens things up so less rattle?

XZT123

Ready to race!
I 'm not sure exactly what you are talking about (maybe a pic would help), but somewhere on here I saw someone wrap some electrical tape around the hook on the striker plate to stiffen up the door and prevent rattle.

Scumby

Passed Driver's Ed
My '09 Passat had a misaligned rear passenger door on the driver's side. Took about 60 seconds to fix, but knowing it was there was quite bothersome nonetheless. Bought it C.P.O, and made me wonder about the rest of the car. Funny how I had to replace 2 fuel injectors within 2 weeks of each other. Oh well. You gotta pay to play. Thank God for VW warranties.

lennonjon

Passed Driver's Ed
Misaligned in what way?

I asked a VW mechanic about this when I was getting my 10k service. Specifically, the rear edge of my front doors stick out slightly more than the rear doors (not noticeable unless you are really trying to find something "misaligned". He told me they due to the aerodynamics of the car they are supposed to be that way to prevent wind and dirt from sand-blasting the front edge of the rear door.

Sounds like B.S. to me, but a Toyota mechanic friend of mine told me that he has heard of that on some cars and doesn't see why the mechanic would not have realigned the doors if in fact they are misaligned. Its an easy job they get paid an hour to complete... :iono:

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
I had same issue, I had to DO IT MYSELF , by fixing it
all you need is a jack to support the door up and a wrench.
( and some time because you'll be doing it by trial and error till its right )
You will need a big triple square for the striker plate tho if u
don't have it already.