GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Been doing a bunch of research into the PCV and just bought a fully adjustable PCV to run off the IE valve cover which should allow me to pull vacuum from the IE manifold and set it up right. I've seen so many setups now for the 2.5L and experimented enough with my own to know that the PCV is more important than just emissions. I have been curious about IE running the PCV on the stock valve cover to their CAI when installing the SRI. They must be removing the diaphragm in the PCV as there is nowhere near enough vacuum pulling from before the throttle body (as opposed to after it) to operate the PCV correctly. I think it' less important in a lower compression engine as far as blowing seals and what not but where overall engine health and blowby is concerned that's a different story. By removing sufficient vacuum to the crankcase you create a condition that greatly increases blowby. It's counterintuitive but it has definitely been my experience and I think getting an adjustable (tunable) PCV on there where I can tell how much vacuum is pulled and when the PCV transitions between idle and cruising will greatly reduce the blowby condition and make for a healthier engine. This is provided the SRI will pull sufficient vacuum which I believe it will. Once I get the new setup done I'll write up all the different configurations I've tried with pros and cons and recommendations as I think after this one I will have configured the intake in every way possible.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Been doing a bunch of research into the PCV and just bought a fully adjustable PCV to run off the IE valve cover which should allow me to pull vacuum from the IE manifold and set it up right. I've seen so many setups now for the 2.5L and experimented enough with my own to know that the PCV is more important than just emissions. I have been curious about IE running the PCV on the stock valve cover to their CAI when installing the SRI. They must be removing the diaphragm in the PCV as there is nowhere near enough vacuum pulling from before the throttle body (as opposed to after it) to operate the PCV correctly. I think it' less important in a lower compression engine as far as blowing seals and what not but where overall engine health and blowby is concerned that's a different story. By removing sufficient vacuum to the crankcase you create a condition that greatly increases blowby. It's counterintuitive but it has definitely been my experience and I think getting an adjustable (tunable) PCV on there where I can tell how much vacuum is pulled and when the PCV transitions between idle and cruising will greatly reduce the blowby condition and make for a healthier engine. This is provided the SRI will pull sufficient vacuum which I believe it will. Once I get the new setup done I'll write up all the different configurations I've tried with pros and cons and recommendations as I think after this one I will have configured the intake in every way possible.
If I read this correctly, sounds like you're planning on adding a vacuum port on the IE SRI, how else can you pull enough vacuum.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
If I read this correctly, sounds like you're planning on adding a vacuum port on the IE SRI, how else can you pull enough vacuum.

I am going to use one of the existing 1/8” and the 1/4" vacuum port on the bottom of the IM fed up to a 3/8" line which is the size of the PCV input/output. When pulling vacuum the line can be much smaller than if venting to atm or low vacuum.

I saw some pretty big engines venting with only a 3/8" line so the little 2.5L should be no problem.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I am going to use one of the existing 1/8” and the 1/4" vacuum port on the bottom of the IM fed up to a 3/8" line which is the size of the PCV input/output. When pulling vacuum the line can be much smaller than if venting to atm or low vacuum.

I saw some pretty big engines venting with only a 3/8" line so the little 2.5L should be no problem.
I'd go with the 1/4 inch vacuum port. If and when I get my hands on an IE SRI I won't hesitate to tap a 1/2 to 3/4 inch vacuum port.

Was out today negotiating a price on a dyno pull, can't get the same price as last time BS.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I'd go with the 1/4 inch vacuum port. If and when I get my hands on an IE SRI I won't hesitate to tap a 1/2 to 3/4 inch vacuum port.

Was out today negotiating a price on a dyno pull, can't get the same price as last time BS.

Gonna use both the 1/8 and 1/4.. I found a funky adapter for a coke machine to plumb 2 lines into a single 3/8 that looks like a tuning fork. I figure 1/8 + 1/4 = 3/8. Too bad where flow is concerned this is not really the case.

NotAFastVW

Installed a dieselgeek short shifter this morning. LOVE IT. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the Spullen poly dogbone insert and put in a 034 billet insert and see if the vibration at idle is improved.

I can vouch for dieselgeek, I have had one of these short shifters on the car since we bought the 2.5. I dont know how much smoother its gotten over the years, but I've definitely gotten used to it and prefer/appreciate the notchy-ness over other shifters. Love to hear how you like it a few months down the road.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Gonna use both the 1/8 and 1/4.. I found a funky adapter for a coke machine to plumb 2 lines into a single 3/8 that looks like a tuning fork. I figure 1/8 + 1/4 = 3/8. Too bad where flow is concerned this is not really the case.
I don't know if it adds :confused: but then again you're not using the stock Air/Oil Separator, which opens and closes based on the vacuum level present to actuate against the spring tension and the diaphragm surface area.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I don't know if it adds :confused: but then again you're not using the stock Air/Oil Separator, which opens and closes based on the vacuum level present to actuate against the spring tension and the diaphragm surface area.

The PCV in this case will act as both as it is setup to operate at a specific vacuum. So it's closed until a specific vacuum is reached then the spring takes over.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
An experiment today. Trying to make the golf a little easier to drive in the low rpm's especially starting in 1st. I believe the intake is just too short and it's causing driveability issues. So far it's a really a nice change.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
An experiment today. Trying to make the golf a little easier to drive in the low rpm's especially starting in 1st. I believe the intake is just too short and it's causing driveability issues. So far it's a really a nice change.

Yup lengthing the intake pipe works a bit, several inches longer than MINE. Kinda in between the Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake and the Afe Power intake that follows the intake tract length of the Stock VW Engine Cover/Filter. You gotta get rid of that lil filter tho, and get a big GULP bell mouth.... but then again you're in a bind for space.

I wish you could try my IE Stage2 with Stock IM experiment, you may fall in love with it. It pulls from Idle on up in 4th gear.... and that Lambo sound is back.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya adding the short shifter made it really hard to get a clean shift the way the intake was setup. Lengthening the pipe toned down the throttle so it's not so jumpy.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya adding the short shifter made it really hard to get a clean shift the way the intake was setup. Lengthening the pipe toned down the throttle so it's not so jumpy.
I have noticed that the idle rpm of Stage2 is a tiny bit higher than with IE Stage1 and there is a ton of torque just off idle. Yes it is a bit harder to sync with the clutch maybe this is what you are dealing with, I come up and match a bit quicker now to deal with it, a bit like the old 911s.

BUT the Stage2 Tune was designed for minimal 6 inch runner length of the IE SRI now I have it working with the long runners of the Stock IM.

IDK about that Shifter Mod, I have to pass for now.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I'll get to try it out in a year or so when I have to put the stock IM back on for the smog check. I'm not planning on changing tunes as stage 2 should pass emissions no problem.