GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No-Start Condition - Rough Idle / Stalling

RenFuchs

In the past month or so I've started encountering random no-starts with my 2011 GTI CCTA.

I first encountered this when under acceleration on an on-ramp when it stalled but started right back up once I pulled over.

The second time was after leaving a parking lot, it stalled and refused to start until I waited.

If the car is cold, it starts without issue. If it is warm, it will sometimes have a delayed start or once the engine turns over, it will idle rough for a few seconds before stalling. The only option is to wait an hr or so which seems to be enough time for the car to cool and it starts normally. There is no power loss or any other symptoms when the car is running.

So far I've replaced the fuel filter and have not been able to borrow a VAG Com to scan it. I'm going to try and do that this week but wanted to see if yall had any ideas?

I ran into something similar with my MKIV TDI when the fuel pump died but it wasnt intermittent like this. From what I've read on forums it could be the Low Pressure Fuel Pump, High Pressure Fuel Pump, Coil Packs, or Spark Plugs.

Here is a video I took the last time it wouldnt start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4bP6_mfLk

Edit:
Forgot to mention that the car is stock.

Last edited:

goodwin7

I have a 2012 GTI and was having the same issue recently. The car would start fine when cold, never had any issues or codes. When it was warm after being driven for an hour or more it would idle extremely rough ( around 500-800 rpm) and then stall. I would let it sit for an hour or more and it would start normally. I called the local dealership because my car is under CPO warranty still and they said they never heard of this issue. I didn't have any check engine light or code to tell them. I had to take the car in for recall on LPFP anyway so they said they would check it. According to the dealership the issue was the LPFP and since the service I have not has a single issue and as a bonus my fuel mileage as increased on the highway from avg. 29 to avg. 34. So thank you CPO warranty.

Blk1U

Passed Driver's Ed
Basically had the same issue myself. Just like the previous poster, CPO warranty replaced LPFP, and haven't had a problem since.

volatov

Did the LPFP replacement help all of you? I have a 2012 GTI that's having the same issue. I can't find a recall or TSB on this problem.