GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GENERAL G-MAX RS XL - Anyone tried these tires?

OlderSlower

I just ordered a set of General's new summer tires, has anyone tried them yet? The price and early reviews make them seem like a no brainer...

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Lmao, I am actually researching the hell out of this tire at this exact moment. The price point (mail in rebate also) has me seriously considering these. I am about 90% convinced to give them a try.

I just want to make sure they can handle stage 2 power and it seems like they should more then capable.

OlderSlower

It's still a little chilly to put them on here in Ohio, but I am eager to try them. My shop does lots of racing and even the Michelin lover racer there says it's a no brainer to give them a try on the street. Can't wait to see.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Just ordered a set. Will report back how they are.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I almost got these, because the price was right, but then heard they could be a little noisy and went with a more conservative (and longer life) DWS06 instead. I know the Extreme Contact Sport would've been the better choice, grip wise, but I wanted a longer lasting tire in general...so that's my reasoning for not going with them.

What's weird though is that when they had people review them last year, they were saying they'd have a 45k mile warranty on them.....but now that they're out, there's no mileage warranty:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/generals-g-max-rs-may-change-the-way-uhp-tires-are-made/

Kind of a bummer

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
removed duplicate URL ...

hmmmmm

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

repost

OlderSlower

I picked up my car with the new tires and my initial impression is very positive. The car just feels planted and goes right where I want it to. I know that is completely subjective, but so far so good...

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I picked up my car with the new tires and my initial impression is very positive. The car just feels planted and goes right where I want it to. I know that is completely subjective, but so far so good...

How is it handing the stage 2 power?

Mine should be on by the weekend if the temps stay warmer.

OlderSlower

No problem with Stage 2 power. The friend who turned me on to these tires has a Stage 2+ Mk6 GTI. He has the General GMAX RS on his car. He always used to spin the tires in second gear, but with the GMAX's he doesn't.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
After 600 miles the tires seem to be fully broken in. The only other tires for this car I have to compare these too are the stock Dunlop tires. My tires of choice for my Fit were BFG Sport Comp 2 UHP for the summer.

Tire Size: 225/45/17
Price from TR after mail in rebate: $330

Comfort: I find that road noise and harshness is the same as the Dunlop's. The Dunlops might be a little better. I felt that the Dunlops were plenty quiet and handled bumps very well. Coming from a Honda Fit though the GTI is like a library and the BFG tires I had were noisy AF. I did not notice much of a difference going from 18" to 17" but my local roads are pretty decent.

Steering: The tires are very responsive to steering input. Even though I went to a smaller diameter tire which usually translates to slower steering response I felt that they were on par with the Dunlop's but gave me better road feel while cornering.

Performance Dry: I have yet to find a corner on nearby public road that I can push these to their limit. I found that they are very linear as g forces are increased through a corner and have yet to break them loose or make them squeal. When pushed hard it does feel as though the sidewall rolls a bit but they are 17's and not max performance summer tires. I am Uni 1+ at the moment and they get the power to the asphalt amazingly. The Dunlop's would chirp and activate TC all the time. The temps have not been any warmer then about high 60's but at night when the temps drop they do struggle to grip which to me is to be expected.

Performance Wet: Okay, so I have wet driving impressions and I am very impressed with the wet performance. I would say they are better then the BFG's and definitely better then the stock all seasons. When raining hard with standing water on the road there is no hint of hydro planning (didn't go past 70ish). When the roads are damp I don't even notice the dampness. On hard acceleration you will get wheel spin but not much.

Time will tell how they wear but I am very impressed and pleased with these tires for the price. Are there better tires? Absolutely, but for the price and back road warrior I think they are perfect.

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Nice tire review GolNat, thanks. They sound like a good tire for a daily driver - back road warrior use. I have a friend who had the BFG Comp 2 tires on his MK7. He liked them, but found them noisy. He raved about their wet weather performance. I've found that any tire will get loud if it isn't rotated enough.

When I wear out my Conti DWS 06 tires I may try a set of those Generals.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Continental Tire owns General Tire and the General Tire line has alot of products made in Germany and the EU, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is prolly a lot of similar technologies between the G-MAX RS XL and the DWS 06.

+1 Agreed, looks like a good option for a daily driver requiring soft side wall.