GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MPG question.

Hulley1

Ready to race!
I'm sure its been said but here goes.
When I'm in a quick/fun car its hard to keep my foor out of it. For those of you who can, what kind of MPG do you get? I'm talking about a stock GTI ( I'm getting a manual). I've heard as high a 37 hwy. Is this about correct?
Also, do you need to run premium fuel? I dont like to depend on knock sensors so if premium is whats required thats fine. I also have a BMW that I run premium in.
One more thing, when/if you run different grades of fuel, does that change the mpg?
thanks
Steve

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
premium fuel all the time. and the highest i've gotten so far on the highway was 34 mpg and that was going around 60-65 mph. My car is only 100 miles old so as the car breaks in i hope the mpgs go up :D

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I always run 93. With stop and go traffic for daily commuting, and some highway, I can average 27mpg+ (real time, not computer estimated - shows 28mpg) all day long.

highway cruising only, I've gotten 32-34mpg - some have got higher.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
In the 3k I have driven the car I have averaged 29 but I have seen as high as 36 on a 14 commute to work that includes a cold start. Gotten love it. As what the guys in their WRX's get (22 mpg), the STI guys (19 mpg) or teh MS3 guys (22 mpg).

SteveMD

Ready to race!
Slight detour here but anyone know the cause of the discrepancy between the MFD and real world MPGs? It would seem to me that the car knows how much gas is being used and how far the car has travelled yet mine is always off by at least 10%.

My best tank was 380 miles driving like a grandad and I got 13.5 back in there so that's about 28. The MFD told me 31.

At a constant 65mph, the car does about 35mpg (on the MFD) - I tested this on cruise for a 30 mile stretch of interstate. At 70mph it is about 32mpg (on the MFD).

thekaptn

Ready to race!
From Dallas to Houston I usually get 35-36 mpg in my dsg with a northerly wind. If the wind is coming from the south (gulf) I get about 32-33. Damn wind.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Depends on the weather but my best is 38mpg on a tank it was something around 545 miles on one tank. My overall average after 10,000 miles is 29.3 by from my excel spread sheet keeping track of miles and fill ups. If you do highway driving it is great but my tanks that are just driving around town I sometimes only get 24/25 out of it. I guess you have to pay to play though.

Hulley1

Ready to race!
Thats great to hear guys. Makes me feel better about trading my Silverado in a few weeks ago! I'm wondering if the on-board MPG read-out is vacuum based like some cars. That could lead to the discrepancies.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
idk how the MFI calculates the MPG but its usually off by +1,-1. Which i think is acceptable. I just use it for an idea of what i'm getting and then figure out the exact when i fill the tank.