GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat issue? Temp gauge going backward!

Jever

Ready to race!
When I am first warming the car up the temp gauge will go backwards with the heat on even on level 2 or 3 if I come to a stop light etc. When I get going again it will continue to warm back up is this normal?

Luis G

Passed Driver's Ed
how cold was it..... Sounds normal if was very cold out... my car will warm up very slow or not at all if I just sit. If I am moving then the car warms up pretty quick.

Jever

Ready to race!
how cold was it..... Sounds normal if was very cold out... my car will warm up very slow or not at all if I just sit. If I am moving then the car warms up pretty quick.

Yeah it will warm up faster the faster I am going due to the load on the engine.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
yup if it's cold outside and the cars warming up AND you have your heat on it will cool down.

wait til the car is finished heating up then turn on the heat.

putting the heater on when the car is overheating to cool it down is a trick i learned with my old eclipse haha

MNGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in MN and my car does that. Especially when it is 0F or less out. I also found if you run a higher RPM it will warm up faster.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
yeah but thats way worse for your engine since your oil is still cold.

This. Keep it below 3k RPM until at least double the time it takes for your water temp is normal. Remember that your oil has to heat up a lot more than your coolant does- and it's the oil, not the coolant, that prevents engine damage in normal operation. Wish we had an oil temp gauge...

krische

vdubber in training
When I am first warming the car up the temp gauge will go backwards with the heat on even on level 2 or 3 if I come to a stop light etc. When I get going again it will continue to warm back up is this normal?

Yeah mine does this too. I would assume with direct injection, the engine is using barely any gasoline when idling. Very little gas means very little heat, probably not enough to compensate for the cold air coming in and the cabin heater taking away.

Jever

Ready to race!
My car does the same. I asked about it on another thread, and the consensus there was that it is not normal. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12626

I haven't got around to it yet, but am still planning on taking the car back to the dealer to have this looked into further. It sure seems to me like a thermostat that's stuck open.

The car would not ever get hot if it was stuck open. If everyone elses car is doing it trust me the car is healthy