GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5 steering wheel to GTI or Golf R

gugu1981

Passed Driver's Ed
bringing this one back from the dead.

Some clarification: your current airbag/horn assembly is a match for your current clockspring.

So if you are going from a base model golf plastic steering wheel WITHOUT multi function and WITHOUT paddle shifter, and you do not care about adding multi function nor paddleshifter, then you can use GTI/R wheel(with or without multi function, with or without paddle shifter), and reuse your airbag/horn + harness. It's a 30 minute task(and realistically, after I have done it a few times, i can swap back to my cheap plastic steering wheel in about 10 minutes) to swap it. You will not have multi function, and you will not have paddle shifting after the swap.

To add either multi function or paddler shifter, you will need the appropriate harness and clockspring.

If you are going from a TDI with mutli function and/or paddle shifter, the airbag shape is different, and will not fit. So you will definitely need a new airbag/horn assembly. At this time, I am not sure whether the harness is compatible or not. I will have to see the back side of the TDI airbag/horn assembly to have a better idea.
IF the harness fits, then you can swap in a GTI/R steering wheel + airbag/horn with the same functionality in about 45 minutes.

I do NOT recommend mixing harness and clockspring from different equipment cars. I tried briefly using a multi function steering wheel with the appropriate harness with my non multi function clockspring. I figured at the very least, the horn should work. Turns out it doesn't, and the dash has an airbag error light after the battery is reconnected. Although the error light can be cleared and does not come back, I am not confident that the airbag will deploy when needed.

Here's a mandatory picture of the upgrade.

Peter

Last edited:

jbondbmw

Ready to race!
Anyone find a better price on a non-multifunction/non-paddle wheel than this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.5/Interior/Steering_Wheels/ES1172725/

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002

MAGICGTI

I'm trying to figure out what insert to buy to replace the GTI emblem. Saw the piano black insert but $110 is robbery...anyone?

Tiggy1

Go Kart Champion
you know the GTI/GLI badge comes out right, took mine out of my golf :D

jbondbmw

Ready to race!
I went with the APR badge as it was the cheapest silver trim piece I could find. My car has no APR stuff, but the logo is very small.

MAGICGTI

I'll put my pic up but bought a used GTI MFSW, bought the blank panel and swapped it with the buttons, and replaced the GTI badge with a piano black R piece. Looks good and feels great. Also did the GTI leather emergency brake handle.

Vroomer

Banned
You could always get one of these: http://wheelskins.com/ They look decent if you take the time to put them on right and the wheel will be way more comfortable. Spending upward of $500 for a new wheel for an economy car seems kind of silly.

MAGICGTI

You could always get one of these: http://wheelskins.com/ They look decent if you take the time to put them on right and the wheel will be way more comfortable. Spending upward of $500 for a new wheel for an economy car seems kind of silly.

$500? I bought my used wheel for $275 and the trim for around another $100 and that's me being picky. Can sell the MFSW buttons online. Airbag is reusable.

Totally changes the feel of the car. It's really not an economy car, much nicer than that with a leather wheel and emergency brake handle.

jbondbmw

Ready to race!
I did the same thing. After selling the buttons off it cost be me less than $300.

Excuse the dirty car, damn winter.

I also upgraded to the RNS510. It sure doesn't feel like an economy car.