GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5qt of Motul and a new filter at 6k

whalesalad

Ready to race!
I totally feel a difference in the car. It felt sluggish before, and it feels like a hyper little dog now. I can throw it around much easier. For a while I was getting that "paranoia" about loss of power but now my car feels refreshed! It also warms up quicker, as others have said here on the forum.

Bought the kit from DBC Performance. Came with 5QT of Motul, the OEM filter, and the bolt. I opted for my own bolt though, a magnetic one from ECS tuning.

BTWm, The oil I drained out was black as night. My buds were actually surprised at how dark it was. Been driving it hard with the APR tune :D

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I'm starting to feel the sluggishness as I approach 7K on stock oil. :(

Oil change comes soon :D

What viscosity did you use?

SE-TYPE-R-Bam!

Ready to race!
motul is some of the best oil you can use.

i know the manual says 10K guys, my dealer even told me i could do 10K on my MK5, but i've always done my changes at 5K (i think a lot of you get free services right? but only every 10K) and it just leaves you with a bit more piece of mind.

this is extreme, but here is what happens when you don't change your oil

Attachments

• oil-sludge-98-BMW.JPG
    oil-sludge-98-BMW.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 325

zee

Go Kart Champion
this is extreme, but here is what happens when you don't change your oil for 50,000 miles

Quote fixed. The BMW owner did not know better and it is a far cry from the 10,000 mile recommended oil changes which have been proven to not cause harm to our engines.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Actually, the only reason I haven't changed it yet is that I haven't gotten to it... I prefer doing it myself :p

SE-TYPE-R-Bam!

Ready to race!
Quote fixed. The BMW owner did not know better and it is a far cry from the 10,000 mile recommended oil changes which have been proven to not cause harm to our engines.

it was kind of a joke... i said it was to the extreme.

i'm sure 10,000 mile changes are fine. i was just suggesting for piece of mind go 5. it's what i, and many other owners do.

then again, i am modded, and i do enjoy the high side of my tachometer.

zee

Go Kart Champion
it was kind of a joke... i said it was to the extreme.

i'm sure 10,000 mile changes are fine. i was just suggesting for piece of mind go 5. it's what i, and many other owners do.

then again, i am modded, and i do enjoy the high side of my tachometer.

The way you worded it left room for interpretation in a negative way that is why I completed the 50,000kms quote. Kinda like the Mr Lube ads from a few years ago which shows engine sludge and then says change it every 3K or else. Conventional oil can do about 3K, but synthetic oils can easily do double, triple or even quadruple that depending on the engine.

A stock or modded FSI is hard on oil, but I have not seen any information that proves that a modded TSI is also hard on oil. Just lots of opinion without any oil report. Sure changing it early is good for a piece of mind.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
BTWm, The oil I drained out was black as night. My buds were actually surprised at how dark it was. Been driving it hard with the APR tune :D

That's just synthetic oil. Black doesn't mean it isn't working as it should.
I think it's a waste to change out your oil that early. But, it's your money....but it's our environment.

Bender1

Banned
That's just synthetic oil. Black doesn't mean it isn't working as it should.
I think it's a waste to change out your oil that early. But, it's your money....but it's our environment.

Yup - synthetic oil will be black as night after a few HUNDRED miles.

SE-TYPE-R-Bam!

Ready to race!
The way you worded it left room for interpretation in a negative way that is why I completed the 50,000kms quote. Kinda like the Mr Lube ads from a few years ago which shows engine sludge and then says change it every 3K or else. Conventional oil can do about 3K, but synthetic oils can easily do double, triple or even quadruple that depending on the engine.

A stock or modded FSI is hard on oil, but I have not seen any information that proves that a modded TSI is also hard on oil. Just lots of opinion without any oil report. Sure changing it early is good for a piece of mind.

hey man i'm not calling out TSI's. if it were any car on synthetic i'd change at 5K. any car at conventional 3K.

the engine never had anything to do with my comment. :iono:

Bender1

Banned
hey man i'm not calling out TSI's. if it were any car on synthetic i'd change at 5K. any car at conventional 3K.

the engine never had anything to do with my comment. :iono:

But the engine matters.

Some engines can easily go 10k on Syn without putting a dent in it, some you MUST do at 5.

5 is fine for safety, but plenty wont benefit from that change schedule at all.