GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter tire recommendation, are the WS80 bad on the mk6?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The WS80 are a bit better in the snow and a whole lot better on not snowy roads. I live in Colorado and you drive I70 to get to the ski resorts, it's a 4 lane main highway through the mountains so it has steep grades and lots and lots of bends since roads like that basically have to parallel creeks and rivers to get their route. The GTI with the Artic Altimax could not keep up with the normal flow of 60-65 mph traffic on I-70 when it was dry without ESP kicking in all over the place trying to keep the car on the road. It was scary at times how little grip that had on that road. In the snow I liked them but in every opther condition they were super noodley feeling, it felt like I was driving on Jello. The WS80's are much much better, I felt safer in all conditions with those. I just bought a set for my wife's mk6 Jetta.

Malibuboats91

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,

I am on the market for a new set of winter tires. I am running michelin PSS 18" for the summer but want to do a big downsize for the winter. Thinking of going 205/55R16 to save money and have overall better performance in the snow.

I was looking at both the nordfrost 100 and the Blizzak WS80. Talking to my dealership, they advised against using the WS80 on this car as the fitment is not perfect and the tire would wear out faster than advertised. Yet, I see alot of people running those tires on the mk6 and I havent heard any complaints...it's supposed to be a great tire.

All in all, I am looking for the best bang for the buck on a 16" winter tire that will keep me and my family safe in the quebec winter. The WS80 seemed perfect but the dealership greatly recommended the nordfrost....all the reviews I saw seemed to point to the fact the WS80 was the more capable tire.

Any recommendations?

thanks alot

OP sorry for hijacking your thread. Just a heads up, Discount Tire Direct has a sale going on right now where you can get $160 off a set of 4 wheels and/or tires if you get their credit card. $320 off a setup is a pretty damn good deal IMO. Good luck!

The WS80 are a bit better in the snow and a whole lot better on not snowy roads. I live in Colorado and you drive I70 to get to the ski resorts, it's a 4 lane main highway through the mountains so it has steep grades and lots and lots of bends since roads like that basically have to parallel creeks and rivers to get their route. The GTI with the Artic Altimax could not keep up with the normal flow of 60-65 mph traffic on I-70 when it was dry without ESP kicking in all over the place trying to keep the car on the road. It was scary at times how little grip that had on that road. In the snow I liked them but in every opther condition they were super noodley feeling, it felt like I was driving on Jello. The WS80's are much much better, I felt safer in all conditions with those. I just bought a set for my wife's mk6 Jetta.

Thanks for that information! The Generals definitely have scared the shit out of me a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti330ex1

Ready to race!

Any difference in tire size between the two?

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
/ Update

Ok....so I just got WS80 16 inch mounted on 16x7.5 et 46...

Went for a quick run to get gas... Coming from my 265 front 225 rears PSS...

Turns out one wheel was poorly attached... So previous impressions ... my bad.

Actually quite decent handling in the rain, will update further down the road.

Previous tires were gislaved , themselves plagued by vibrations... but I had really worn them out, so that plays a role.

Last edited:

Malibuboats91

Ready to race!
Ok....so I just got WS80 16 inch mounted on 16x7.5 et 46...

Went for a quick run to get gas... Coming from my 265 front 225 rears PSS...

Lets put it this way... car will change directions once... after that it is float city... And I do have an LSD.. doesn't seem to matter, This was in the light rain, wet asphslt 7 degrees celsius, the corners were 20-30-40 km per hour

I don't remember my used snows to be quite like that... they were gislaved , themselves plagued by vibrations... but I had really worn them out, so that plays a role.

So you don't like them? Have you run a 16" wheel before? My 16" General Altimax's were exactly like that. Needless to say I just ordered 17" Xi3's lol. Hopefully I get as good of traction as the Blizzak though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Winter tires are a compromise. They are to get you around safely on snow & ice covered roads. They are not made to carve corners, unless they are covered with snow. I think it is a very good compromise.