GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 Golf R or MK7 GTI

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
I posted this on the MK7 forum, but figured I'd get some opinions here as well.

This topic has been talked about a bunch of times, but I still can't decide what to get. A little background on my current situation. I had a MK6 Gti for 35 months. I recently got into a car crash and the car is now totaled. Insurance gave me a decent amount for my Mk6 GTI, and now I'm in desperate need of a car. It's been about 4 weeks and I've been driving my grandpas rape van around that gets about 12 MPG.

Anyways I'm torn between the two because a used Golf R is about the same price as the GTI I want with all the options. I've made a list of pros and cons, but still can't decide. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

MK6 GOLF R PROS
-AWD
-Faster stock

CONS
-MPG not as good
-More expensive to tune
-Financing rate may not be as good compared to the GTI

I would say interior is about tied for both.

MK7 GTI SE PROS
-better MPG
-brand new warranty
-cheaper to tune
-tune gets you faster
than a tuned golf R

CONS
-FWD
-the "blown turbo" issue
-other issues that are not known yet (and yes I plan on tuning/modding it)

At the end of the day it basically comes down to the AWD factor. I live in Chicago and our winters can be pretty brutal. I've never had that big of any issue with my previous FWD cars, but AWD would be really nice. One of the main reasons to go with the MK7 GTI is because I like the new body style. I've had a MK6 Golf 2.5, and a MK6 GTI so I'm pretty use to the body style. A refresh would be nice.

I've read other debates about these two cars, and a lot of people are saying to go with the Golf R because it has AWD. I went and test drove a Golf R the other day and it drove great. If I could I would just get a MK7 R, but I can't afford it. Anyways, let me know what you think.

Also I found a pretty good deal on a MK7 GTI SE with lighting package in the color I want. The Golf R I've been looking at is about $900 more with about 15,000 miles (also the color I want).

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What are the prices you're looking at for both cars.

This is a tough choice to make, and I have been semi debating it myself.

PuYang

Ready to race!
I would personally choose mk6 Golf R.

I actually wrote quite a long response, but all of it was just personal opinion from a guy who hasn't driven a MK7 GTI before. (I have no interest in them at all). So I deleted it and just wanted to tell you mk6 R ;D

I guess this post doesn't really help though haha

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
Other issues you haven't considered:
Golf R has the EA113 motor which means timing belt, carbon build up, HPFP, cam follower.

Really what it boils down to is this:
A Golf R is all the car you will ever probably need (has K04, bigger brakes and a built block stock) and whatever it's missing can easily be made up with bolt-on's and a better tune. Stock it's better than the MK7, modified it's better than the MK7. You don't really need an LSD because AWD.

The MK7 has a better turbo than the MK6/MK5, but we don't know enough about its reliability to consider it a solid turbo. I feel like the Ultra Stage 1 tunes are going to be detuned at some point because the stock turbo can't handle that kind of boost. Really finding a MK7 that can handle it will be akin to rolling the dice, in my opinion.

Eventually you might want to drop a K04 into the MK7. This adds a considerable amount of cost to the build. You'll also want a mechanical LSD at some point because the XDS+, while good, isn't great and the electronically controlled mechanical LSD is a much better option. You didn't say you were getting PP so that's an added considerable cost.

A jump from a MK4 or MK5 to a MK7 is big. A jump from a MK6 to a MK7 isn't that big. There's a reason there are videos of K04 MK6's putting a beating on tuned MK7's and it's because as the K04 guys put it, "The MK7 just isn't there yet!"

There are a LOT of unknowns with the MK7 and not just build quality. It remains to be seen if the new TSI has the same water pump issues and if turbo failure is going to persist.

Other benefits of the Golf R:
It literally has a built engine (lower compression forged pistons, reinforced block, stronger connecting rods, higher flow injectors, upgraded bearings and camshafts).
It will still have a higher resale value than the MK7.
Bigger brakes by default.

Really it's no brainer. The R is better in every way even if you have to pay for a timing belt and cam follower here and there. It has all the GOALS you would want for a GTI from the factory backed by warranty and engineers that, frankly, are paid way more and way more qualified than any tuner shop or aftermarket parts engineers. Right now I'm pricing used R's for my MK5 trade in. I'm not even CONSIDERING MK7 GTI's. I don't consider another GTI enough of an upgrade to justify the investment into a new car. If I don't get an R, I would get an A3 quattro or a WRX.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
In Chicago, I would go for the AWD unless you are parking this car in the winter.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
MK7. New car, newer body, better warranty. I personally will never buy a model year old car again.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
What are the prices you're looking at for both cars.

This is a tough choice to make, and I have been semi debating it myself.

2015 GTI SE with lighting package: $27,980 (plus TTL)
2 door, manual,sunroof,fender audio.

2013 Golf R: $29,494 (plus TTL)
2 door, manual, sunroof, dynaudio.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
2015 GTI SE with lighting package: $27,980 (plus TTL)
2 door, manual,sunroof,fender audio.

2013 Golf R: $29,494 (plus TTL)
2 door, manual, sunroof, dynaudio.

golf R is 5k too expensive.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
I would personally choose mk6 Golf R.

I actually wrote quite a long response, but all of it was just personal opinion from a guy who hasn't driven a MK7 GTI before. (I have no interest in them at all). So I deleted it and just wanted to tell you mk6 R ;D

I guess this post doesn't really help though haha
I haven't driven the MK7 yet either. I feel like it can't be that much different from my mk6 gti.

Other issues you haven't considered:
Golf R has the EA113 motor which means timing belt, carbon build up, HPFP, cam follower.

Really what it boils down to is this:
A Golf R is all the car you will ever probably need (has K04, bigger brakes and a built block stock) and whatever it's missing can easily be made up with bolt-on's and a better tune. Stock it's better than the MK7, modified it's better than the MK7. You don't really need an LSD because AWD.

The MK7 has a better turbo than the MK6/MK5, but we don't know enough about its reliability to consider it a solid turbo. I feel like the Ultra Stage 1 tunes are going to be detuned at some point because the stock turbo can't handle that kind of boost. Really finding a MK7 that can handle it will be akin to rolling the dice, in my opinion. Probably my #1 fear right now since hearing about all these turbos failing.

Eventually you might want to drop a K04 into the MK7. This adds a considerable amount of cost to the build. You'll also want a mechanical LSD at some point because the XDS+, while good, isn't great and the electronically controlled mechanical LSD is a much better option. You didn't say you were getting PP so that's an added considerable cost. Wasn't planning on doing the PP because I don't have time to wait for it. I also probably wouldn't add a k04 or LSD to the mk7. I plan on modding it, but not anything too crazy. On my mk6 gti I was stage 2 (downpipes,cutback,intake,stage 2 clutch) and I was pretty content with the power.

Really it's no brainer. The R is better in every way even if you have to pay for a timing belt and cam follower here and there. It has all the GOALS you would want for a GTI from the factory backed by warranty and engineers that, frankly, are paid way more and way more qualified than any tuner shop or aftermarket parts engineers. Right now I'm pricing used R's for my MK5 trade in. I'm not even CONSIDERING MK7 GTI's. I don't consider another GTI enough of an upgrade to justify the investment into a new car. If I don't get an R, I would get an A3 quattro or a WRX.
Thanks for all the input!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
even with only 16,7000 miles? I can't find anything around 25k without upwards of 40,000 miles on it.

Then wait it out... the R in question was 35k new, they were offering 3-5k off sticker. So the car you're looking at, has literally almost no depreciation.

I'd go with the Mk7... if the mk6 R is MORE money.

Also i drove these cars back to back. The stock mk7 feels more powerful at lower rpms, and has as good or better brakes as the mk6 R even though those are "upgraded".

The mk7 owners average around 30 mpg, the mk6 R owners are closer to 22-23. That is a HUGE delta.

While the R has some advantages I'd spend some time thinking this over.

Also are they giving discounts off sticker on the mk7s yet?

AXO

Go Kart Champion
MK7 GTI :thumbsup::word:

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Then wait it out... the R in question was 35k new, they were offering 3-5k off sticker. So the car you're looking at, has literally almost no depreciation.

I'd go with the Mk7... if the mk6 R is MORE money.

Also i drove these cars back to back. The stock mk7 feels more powerful at lower rpms, and has as good or better brakes as the mk6 R even though those are "upgraded".

The mk7 owners average around 30 mpg, the mk6 R owners are closer to 22-23. That is a HUGE delta.

While the R has some advantages I'd spend some time thinking this over.

Also are they giving discounts off sticker on the mk7s yet?

If I could I would definitely wait, but I don't have time to wait. I have about 20 more days left to find a car because my insurance is paying the TTL. After 30 days they won't pay for the TTL.
In this situation the R is more by about $1400. I do drive quite often so the extra MPG would definitely help.
As far as discounts, the dealer price on the MK7 is actually $29,480 (the window sticker from VW says $29,480) but they are discounting it to $27,980.