GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Drain Plug Question

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
So ive been reading on here that 2012 gti's have a different drain plug then others. My question is ive never changed my oil before and i was wondering if i should buy a new or different plug then th one it has now. Ive heard switching to the hex style bolt instead of the allen head bolt would be better. Inputs please the last thread i could find on this subject was 2 years ago so i figured id get new inputs. Also the dealer until now has changed my oil and my car is to low for me to tell which one i have in there now. I guess i will find out tomorrow.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Change it to the old style.

My stupid allen drain plug is stripped amd stuck in my pan. Just ended up buying a little pump that sucks it out of the dipstick tube so I dont have to jack with it.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
I ended up reusing the old one i had on there it was allen drain bolt and was painted black. My dealer was confused on which one to give me because it only showed on that was supposed to be used on my car . Is there a part number for the original drain bolt?

Jpembry

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a '12 and I just changed my oil a few weeks ago. I also had the silly 6mm hex bolt. I replaced it with a magnetic one from ecs tuning. Others have suggested how sensitive the drain bolt is to proper torque settings so make sure you get a torque wrench on it

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I have a '12 and I just changed my oil a few weeks ago. I also had the silly 6mm hex bolt. I replaced it with a magnetic one from ecs tuning. Others have suggested how sensitive the drain bolt is to proper torque settings so make sure you get a torque wrench on it

22ft lbs...

GTIProject

Ready to race!
2012's with the hex plug can use the updated T45 Torx with round crush washer, or an 18mm plug with a thin re-useable washer on it. Biggest issue being that the OE plug is installed into the pan before the pan is powder coated, so when you remove it there is a lip where the sealing ring is supposed to go. If you use a drain bolt with a fatter sealing ring (or don't scrape down the surface) you get oil leaks.