GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on Unibrace & sways

Winoman

Ready to race!
Hi - new to the forum but have been lurking awhile...

I'm just begining to mod my 2010 (black 2 door) GTI. I have some experience with the B5 Audi S4 (that I still own) and much is similar - Audi-VW. So while I have some ideas what I want to do - based on what I've done and like on my Audi - I'm approaching the GTI a bit differently (mainly as I'm not the only driver so I want it to remain civil). So I posted the following in the sway bar sticky above but not sure folks will see it so I'm starting my own thread. Any input/advice appreciated. I'm particularly interested in the need for the Unibraces...given their expense....

I'm planning to put Koni coilovers on my 2010 GTI very soon and I also am thinking of adding the Hotchkis f/r sways. I have the Hotchkis sways with a KW v3 setup on my Audi and couldn't be happier. I think they are medium stiff all around - body roll is non-existant, car is very planted, ride firm but not harsh and I can induce oversteer both off throtle and even under power with turn in - totaly transformed the car. Not sure fully what to expect in the FRD GTI but there is certainly much room for improvement. I'd like to keep the car a little softer ride then the Audi (as my wife drives it as well and does not at all like the Audi ride quality or otherwise...).

I see either the Whiteline ALK or (even better) the Superaloy control arm upgrade as must dos at some point and am also intrigued by the unibrace(s)....XB is out of the question for me though (family would not approve of my impinging on the interior haul it space...) - would UB and RB help my planned setup with the sways. They seem rather expensive for what they are - even with the group buy. Anyone have any insight on these or on my suspension plans in general?

BTW - I found full Hotchkis f/r setup on Amazon for $400....seems like a deal...

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Sway bars are a high bang for the buck. Braces much less so

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
The Unibrace primarily address chassis flex. The analogy has been made to a shoe box with one end cut out. Imagine how it will twist. The XB reinforces that open end. Now picture the forces applied to it as you steer the front end, the UB reinforces the chassis length wise to stiffen it up and improves the feedback by eliminating that slop in the chassis.

This is all pretty independent if suspension and suspension issues. Sway bars are used to address steering characteristics (over/under) and roll (the suspension giving on one side as you get into a turn).

They solve different problems. They are each independently noticeable and worthwhile. But you need to decide what problem you want to address, and go from there.

Winoman

Ready to race!
TXBDan - I notice you have Hotchkis front & rear sways on your GTI - how do you like them and how are they set up? (stiffness front & back)

Last edited:

Winoman

Ready to race!
Thanks for the explanation Tim. I had read that the effect of the braces to some extent mimicked sways or vice versa (chassis stiffness)...at least in part. I've had (very good) experience with sways - not sure how much of a need stiffening the chassis up would be (though I could see the benefit)...

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the explanation Tim. I had read that the effect of the braces to some extent mimicked sways or vice versa (chassis stiffness)...at least in part. I've had (very good) experience with sways - not sure how much of a need stiffening the chassis up would be (though I could see the benefit)...

I have the Unibrace UB and XB but no sways. With the XB fixing the open shoe box problem, it can be perceived as similar to sways - but get into a turn at speed, and you'll still roll. But it really does tie the car together - quite literally - very nicely. With the UB, steering response is improved dramatically. You turn the wheel, and the car responds instantly... It's pretty insane.

Really the benefit is that by eliminating chassis flex, you're transferring that energy that would be lost into the suspension system, allowing it to do exactly its job. The energy lost to flex before the suspension is allowed to handle it is not insignificant.

I'm just getting into my suspension now to address ride quality, handling, and roll - though. Going springs/struts instead of coil overs - and *may* look into sway bars later.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Well after reading this thread looks like I will be getting a uni xb and ub.

:thumbsup: don't forget the new RB! I understand it compliments the UB to clean up the rear end a bit more. I ordered mine in the current group buy, will be on the car tomorrow.

(I don't get paid for this - just really like my unibraces, haha)

Winoman

Ready to race!
Thanks again Tim - a really great explanation. For now the braces are on my "future" list - but I have a much better appreciation how their added stiffness benefits handling (steering response) and how that could be a really good thing. Still its down on my list a bit - but something I will keep an eye on doing eventually (wish it wasn't so damn $$$$ though...like everthign I guess...still my plan was not to spend on the GTI like I've done on the Audi....)

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
I have all of the above --

Front and Rear APR adjustable Sways, and UNIbrace XB, UB and RB

was done in stages -
APR bars front and rear, same time -- really tightened up the overall steering feel of the car, as well as staying MUCH flatter in turns...

UB came next -- a bit less flex, not incredible notable....

RB next -- definitely felt the rear end was buttoned up nicely... rear ends tracks well in the twisties, not as much noticible "shift" from turn to turn

XB finale -- SERIOUS cabin flex reduction -- and when you have all 3 in, it's like they're working in harmony together to keep your rig screwed to the road

i just got my new "color matched" XB, so my black one will be up for sale tomorrow BTW...:D

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I ordered a UB and XB in the group buy. I got the tracking email with installation instructions... Yeah, I'm gonna sell the XB immediately and put the money toward an RB or something else. That looks way too involved for me, and I want keep my hatch space.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I ordered a UB and XB in the group buy. I got the tracking email with installation instructions... Yeah, I'm gonna sell the XB immediately and put the money toward an RB or something else. That looks way too involved for me, and I want keep my hatch space.

Haha... It's not as bad as it looks :) plus once installed, to take it out you just fold down the seats and undo four screws. I keep a spare driver by the spare tire just incase I need the cargo room.

Winoman

Ready to race!
Noize - I've recently read your entire build log with great interest....

The XB is just out of the question for me. Too intrusive into the cabin and this is the family use car not my beastly modded car per se...so a no go.

UB & RB seem worthwhile - I can certainly see it...but again - even with the groups buy they're nearly $500...hard to justify (for a family/daily driver)...and certainly not over the beefier sways - so I think for sure I do them first.

Rooster - very impressive mod list - car must run/ride sweet. I noticed you did the W.A.L.K. - would you recommend that or the unibrace upgrades as the one to do before the other? How do you like APR sways BTW? (same as Hotchkis I understand) How do you have them set up - stiffness front/rear and have you changed to different settings at all?

Winoman

Ready to race!
Right now my GTI is totally stock.

My near term mods (will occur over the next 2 weeks) - 1st - 18" Neuspeed RSe12 (black) wheels with Michilen Super Sports, REVO stage 1 tune, Diesel Geek Sigma 6 SS, P3cars multi-boost guage, side marker grey lens

By the end of May (if not sooner) I'll likely put the Koni coilovers & Hotchkis fr & rear sways on

And at some point down the road I'd like to add either Supaloy control arms or the Whiteline WALK bushings and possibly the Unibrace UB (& maybe RB)....and intake (thinking Forge Twintake at the moment) and SPM dps & street/race hybird exhaust (keeping the cats)....anyway thats the current plan....oh and mybe a bit of window tint - one that will cut the heat a bit....

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
The big deal is the XB.

It need some harder install that the other piece, but at the end, this one really do the best job.

XB is out of the question for me though (family would not approve of my impinging on the interior haul it space...)

Your wrong here, you can remove it in about 1 min with an allen key that u can keep in the car permanently for this task.

Do it, u won't regret it, your chassis will thank you later.

What I love about it too is the esthetic part; this is my fav mod to show off. kinda stealth, and efficient.