GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

planning ahead...

pashley

Ready to race!
Hey all. So I've had my MK6 GTI since 2011. Love this car and have had a blast modding it out and making it mine. But...as with anything nearing 7 years old, I'm getting a little bored and want to move on to my next project. I'm thinking this year or early next.

So my issue...I've got about $7k in mods on this car and I'm not sure if I should part out or attempt to sell "as is." Selling as is would be the easiest, but has anyone had any luck selling a heavily modified car as is? If so, how did you go about it? Facebook? Forums like this? I'm pretty sure I wont be able to trade this in now since it might be of questionable street legality...I could part this thing out, but the market for mk6 parts is dwindling a bit and I'm not sure it would be worth the time and money to get these parts off. Anyone have any stories or thoughts? Anyone want to buy my car ;-) ?

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
I've unfortunately always lived by the rule of you never get what you put into it. My gti is my daily and I have my project 95 cobra with about $15k invested into it but I know the car is only worth about 8-9. So my route was definitely leaning towards doing a part out. Like you said though I'm not sure of the demand for these parts but I know for myself I'm always looking for aftermarket parts and cant seem to find any on sites like craigslist around me. So I would prolly recommend selling on the forum here or Facebook and ebay if your going to go the part out route.

Jaber

Modero
Modded cars are much harder to sell, even for a lower price. You never make the money back either that you spent on mods. I'd part it out as much as you can and try to sell it as close to stock as possible.

This. Although based on your mod list, there isn't much that are quick to remove and easy to sell. And if you're not going to do the work yourself, might not be worth the time and money to pay someone else to do it.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I would personally never buy a modded car, and I know many others live by the same philosophy. Looking at your mods, you might just have to suck it up, sell it for what you can get, and take a loss.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
change your mind and keep it!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I don't even worry about this kind of stuff. My last car I traded it in with everything on it. The only things I removed was the wheels and the sub/amp.

I'll probably do the same thing on this car. I'll remove the sub and amp, while leaving all the wiring in the car, and I'll put my oem wheels back on so I can keep my neuspeeds, but all the rest of my mods are staying on the car.

I don't have the time or patience to remove all the parts off the car, plus the majority of OEM parts I've thrown away. I don't have my original suspension parts, clutch, pulley, exhaust, rear sway bar, or intake. Probably the only mod I'll remove and sell would be the tyrol sport hatch brace.

I don't even want to try to sell the car myself. I have an accident on my carfax and a bunch of mods. I'm not gonna get shit for it either way. I'd rather just trade it in and be done with it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I don't even worry about this kind of stuff. My last car I traded it in with everything on it. The only things I removed was the wheels and the sub/amp.

I'll probably do the same thing on this car. I'll remove the sub and amp, while leaving all the wiring in the car, and I'll put my oem wheels back on so I can keep my neuspeeds, but all the rest of my mods are staying on the car.

I don't have the time or patience to remove all the parts off the car, plus the majority of OEM parts I've thrown away. I don't have my original suspension parts, clutch, pulley, exhaust, rear sway bar, or intake. Probably the only mod I'll remove and sell would be the tyrol sport hatch brace.

I don't even want to try to sell the car myself. I have an accident on my carfax and a bunch of mods. I'm not gonna get shit for it either way. I'd rather just trade it in and be done with it.

Sounds like its my ideal daily driver lol. I'd buy a modded car, not for a project but for a daily. I built my own car that turned into a racecar, now I'm looking for a fun(ish) daily and I don't want to do the work on it. I'd totally buy a k04'd gti to drive around with some mods.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like its my ideal daily driver lol. I'd buy a modded car, not for a project but for a daily. I built my own car that turned into a racecar, now I'm looking for a fun(ish) daily and I don't want to do the work on it. I'd totally buy a k04'd gti to drive around with some mods.

lol
"Hey guys i need a reliable daily does anyone have a k04 gti laying around i could buy"

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

lol, it'd be a solid car to put a k04 on. It's got pretty much everything you'd want on a k04 gti. It's been a solid car itself and hasn't given me any issues. I'm just not looking forward to the day I have to sell it. Between things like the accident, the smfw clutch, and I know a dealer is gonna have an issue with the car not having a cat converter. I'm not expecting to get much back, but mk8's aren't even out yet so I have a couple years before I need to worry about all this. I don't think I'd try to sell it myself, but I have thought about it a little bit, and I feel like I would try to advertise it as a k04 ready GTI.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Modded cars are much harder to sell, even for a lower price. You never make the money back either that you spent on mods. I'd part it out as much as you can and try to sell it as close to stock as possible.

+1 Many people run the other way when they see a modded car for sale.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I've seen plenty of dealers reassemble things wrong. They'll leave clips undone, wiring not correctly secure, etc. At least if the dealer messes up you can take it to them and hold them responsible. If some dude mods his car you have no idea how much care was taken in the process. Were clips broken during the disassembly, were nuts/bolts torqued correctly, were quality parts used, were all pieces lined up and reattached correctly, etc.?

There's no way in hell I'd buy a car with any chassis or power-train mods. I'd allow some basic cosmetic/convenience mods, but that's it. You have absolutely no support in the event something goes wrong.