GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trailer Hitch

lawgdawg

Ready to race!
I'll post a pic tomorrow with my bike racked. I went with Uhaul and it does not look bad. Much better looking than having a sail (roof rack) on the roof 100% of the time.

Please post the pic. But I bought the roof rack from VW and it is super easy to take on and off.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I'll throw in that I installed (or attempted) to install the Curt hitch from etrailer. The mount hit my exhaust. Long story short, I added 1/2" of spacer to get it low enough to not hit. I contacted Curt and am working with them on what might be wrong with my hitch. Naturally, they told me it was designed and fit up on a 2010, but they are making an initial effort to help me get this right. It does hang down kind of low, but it still does the job for caring my bikes. I'll let you know how this goes, if their no help, I'll have to design my own with some of their parts.
Jason

Is that the Curt 11074? I haven't installed one yet but I'm concerned about how low it would hang. The only way I would carry my bicycles is with a hitch but with the GTI already being low-ish is this going to cause problems either on unpaved roads or in the winter pulling out of my un-shovelled driveway?

I've been driving a Subaru Forester with a hitch and haven't had any problems, but, of course, it's a lot higher off the ground.

What do you guys think?

adroit rider

Passed Driver's Ed
I need to reboot my PC to get my camera to sync. I will do this over the weekend. I also got pictures of the fore and aft space when the bike is racked and garage door closed.

adroit rider

Passed Driver's Ed
Hitch Photos

Only problem with the Thelma is that I cannot fold up the rack because the hitch is too far inboard to the car. I might see if I can adjust it out.

adroit rider

Passed Driver's Ed
On the topic of clearance...

The hitch does reduce rear clearance and would transfer any impact to the frame of the car (instead of exhaust).

I don't plan to take this off road and have a CRV for such occasions. There is a risk for some MTB races in Michigan as you don't know the parking situation until you show and they force you into a corn field...

I also like the rack because it gives you full access to the hatch and the ability to put a box on top.

dxtd

I'll throw in that I installed (or attempted) to install the Curt hitch from etrailer. The mount hit my exhaust. Long story short, I added 1/2" of spacer to get it low enough to not hit. I contacted Curt and am working with them on what might be wrong with my hitch. Naturally, they told me it was designed and fit up on a 2010, but they are making an initial effort to help me get this right. It does hang down kind of low, but it still does the job for caring my bikes. I'll let you know how this goes, if their no help, I'll have to design my own with some of their parts.
Jason

Did you call customer service or technical support? I'm having the same issue.
I did talk to someone there but it was not much help.

path

Ready to race!
i have a hitch mounted bike rack on my jeep, and a roof mounted rack on my GTI. there is no question a hitch rack is easier to use, install and maintain. however, having your rear door blocked from opening when your rack is mounted is a giant pain in the ass.

i noticed the pictures of the Saris rack, and it seems that the rear door is only blocked when it is actually carrying a bike, so that is better than my Thule...but I still stand by my opinion

Jekyll991

Ready to race!

It was way too low and close to the car, so I took a riser hitch receiver and welded a 2" adapter to the top of it, works pretty well but I'm going to have to take a tap to the hole that goes into the actual hitch so I can bolt it in and reduce wobbling. It looks goofy but works perfectly, I can fold it up with plenty of clearance, and open my hatch with 2 bikes on there with 30" bars.

It's the one from Curt manufacturing or something, only like $130.

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow! Thank you to all who have replied! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks "2010 UG" for link :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 372
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 247

klrmtn

Did you call customer service or technical support? I'm having the same issue.
I did talk to someone there but it was not much help.

Yes I did, I contacted Curt via email and was very pleased with the response. They sent me a second hitch to try. I didn't think it would work any better, but low and behold, it worked great. They wanted the first hitch back to try to see what was wrong with it since it didn't fit. They told me they would let me know what they found. As long as you get the new hitch, it should fit fine.
I have a Thule Double track that works great to haul the bikes. As was said, you can't open the hitch with bikes on, but it's fine without the bikes. Don't get the locks, they don't work very well and they are in a plastic housing anyway.
Jason

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
Where was your exhaust hitting? I have noticed rattling going over bumps with music off, but I couldn't see any signs of rubbing.