GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Expected Performance?

LostAggie

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got my 2012 GTI with DSG a couple of weeks back and I am considering mods.

I don't want to do anything too extreme so I am looking at Stage 1 ECU and maybe CAI.

What can I expect with regards to performance with regards to 0 to 60 time?

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
At 75mph (at least on my 6spd manual, in 6th gear) the car is at 2.5k+, which is the beginning of the powerband.

Since tuning the car, I've been able to just punch it and go, even in 6th. Noticed that with Stg1 and it's only gotten better with more modding.

SRT2GTI

Banned
Better throttle response, higher boost, better driving experience, slight slight increase in MPGs, Alot more torque. It's well worth doing. My car is 1 month old and it was modified 1 week ago.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I just got my 2012 GTI with DSG a couple of weeks back and I am considering mods.

I don't want to do anything too extreme so I am looking at Stage 1 ECU and maybe CAI.

What can I expect with regards to performance with regards to 0 to 60 time?

My last car was 5.8 sec. and after Stage I tune my GTI feels the same or just a tick faster. Remember your GTI is a canyon carver not a drag racer! I can tear up the curves now with the stage I power curve!

LostAggie

Passed Driver's Ed
My last car was 5.8 sec. and after Stage I tune my GTI feels the same or just a tick faster. Remember your GTI is a canyon carver not a drag racer! I can tear up the curves now with the stage I power curve!

Yeah I realize my question was off target from what I am really looking for...

I am thinking APR Stage 1 (can't find any other tune options near Phoenix) but I am undecided on CAI... Afraid with all the dust to mess with that...

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed

I am thinking APR Stage 1 (can't find any other tune options near Phoenix) but I am undecided on CAI... Afraid with all the dust to mess with that...

I know that most people on these boards that get their cars tuned also put in a CAI. I haven't gone that route as of yet, mainly because I'm concerned about longevity. The gains are minimal, if any (about 7 to 10 hp), and the trade off is larger particles allowed through the filter and possible oil contamination of your MAF sensor. However, I have yet to see a single member of the board complain about these issues, so maybe I'm just being paranoid :)

I'm hoping to get a DP down the line, possibly next year sometime. I figure I already put more than enough money into my new car for this year (and my wife would heartily agree)

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
In regards to the Cai mod i recommend it highly. Its cheap and dose make the car a lot smother to drive.
Plus if you get to hear your turbo : )
I am reluctant to add more power mods. Because i have a led foot and just got a speeding ticket ! nooooooooo.

But when the time comes im going stage 2 or ko4. Donations are currently being accepted. Thanks

BigRobSA

Ready to race!

I wouldn't worry about "dust" with an improved intake, just don't get an oiled filter. Get a dry filter.

Also, assuming the "Aggie" portion of your handle is due to going to A&M....Gigem!:thumbsup:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion

APR is awesome, the tune is amazing, and the company is global. From what I hear they will help take care of you if anything goes wrong and it rarely does. I've chosen to skip the CAI altogether...they really only get you 3-5 whp from what i've read and it's basically just for sound. SORRY GUYS WHO LOVE THEM. I went with an AFE pro dry filter in my stock intake for slightly better air flow. Aftermarket intakes help way up in the rev range but can hurt low end power a bit so if you're not a racecar driver i don't see the point honestly. The stage I tune alone will TRANSFORM your GTI!

LostAggie

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't worry about "dust" with an improved intake, just don't get an oiled filter. Get a dry filter.

Also, assuming the "Aggie" portion of your handle is due to going to A&M....Gigem!:thumbsup:

Class of 00! WHOOP!

What CAIs would you suggest that use dry filters?

APR is awesome, the tune is amazing, and the company is global. From what I hear they will help take care of you if anything goes wrong and it rarely does. I've chosen to skip the CAI altogether...they really only get you 3-5 whp from what i've read and it's basically just for sound. SORRY GUYS WHO LOVE THEM. I went with an AFE pro dry filter in my stock intake for slightly better air flow. Aftermarket intakes help way up in the rev range but can hurt low end power a bit so if you're not a racecar driver i don't see the point honestly. The stage I tune alone will TRANSFORM your GTI!

I just passed my 1,000 miles so tune is around the corner. Probably will do @ next APR sell. Have two daughters and wife that i have to start saving for Xmas for... It seems APR has the best local support in AZ.

Have some time to evaluate intake options...