GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about the coolant.

Mudig

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so yesterday as I was driving the coolant warning light came up. I was still driving and the meter was still exactly where it should be so nothing was overheating. Anyway, I checked and the coolant was a little low. The warning hasn't come up ever since then though. Obviously though I will go and get that fixed, I don't want anything to happen to the engine.

Anyway, I was reading the booklet to see which kind it needs and it said that it requires the G12 plus or plus plus which are purple. If the coolant is brownish then that means it has been mixed. The weird thing is that for me anyway it is brown in my car, well almost golden.

This worries me since it says that if it's mixed it can cause damage to the engine. I bought this car back in feb and always noticed it being brownish, but I never knew it actually is suppose to be purple. I got this car straight from the dealer brand new, why is the coolant not purple when it's supposed to be? Did they mix it with some other product? Is anyone's elses not purple too?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
If your coolant got mixed it would be gel by now; so don't worry about that. Go get a gallong of G12; mix it up 50/50 and top off if needed.

Mudig

Passed Driver's Ed
So I can just poor the new on top of the old? I don't have to train the old out? How much water should be mixed in?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

AudiSport4000

5cyl turbo
G11 was the OEM Audi/VW greenish/blueish coolant back in the day. Of course G12 came out in the mid 90's somewhere (95.5 perhaps?).
G12+ is more purple and I see it more in Audi's than I do VW's.

plat

Ready to race!
So I can just poor the new on top of the old? I don't have to train the old out? How much water should be mixed in?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If you are sure that the existing coolant was not contaminated with a wrong coolant, do a 50/50 mix of distilled water and the G12 coolant. Distilled water is usually sold in gallon jugs in Pharmacies. According to the owners manual, if the factory coolant was mixed with the wrong coolant, the entire cooling system should be drained and refilled with the G12 stuff.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
Ok so yesterday as I was driving the coolant warning light came up. I was still driving and the meter was still exactly where it should be so nothing was overheating. Anyway, I checked and the coolant was a little low. The warning hasn't come up ever since then though. Obviously though I will go and get that fixed, I don't want anything to happen to the engine.

I can guarant-god-dam-tee you that this is an electonic problem, not a coolant problem. Ours just started doing EXACTLY this within the past couple days - at 9500 miles. Sensor/electronic gremlins, brought to you from German engineers who are just too cute to do things in any sense of a 'normal' way.
:mad0259:

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
wow, funny I was just about to post about this. had the EXACT same thing happen to me today at about 11850 miles or so. pulled over and checked and everything was fine, restarted and no problems. weird.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
Don't worry, JackFlak - it'll happen again down the road. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

FWIW, I'm just glad it happened beFORE the 10k maintenance visit, and not after. They can fix that while they're fixing the bogus tire inflation 'warning' light that is permanently on (while all four tires are at a perfectly-matched 35 psi). :bonk:

7sevo7

The same exact thing just happened to me today. Driving home from work and coolant light goes on. My fluid was low also. Looks pink. I going out and getting some to too up the coolant tank.