GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New here... between the Focus ST and the GTI

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
... I have a bit of an idea how the VW's hold up since my sister has an 09 Jetta. I'm gonna check out a new GTI at the dealer hopefully today and see how I like it :)

Of course you'll get a lot of bias toward the GTI on this forum!

As for comparing a Jetta - I had one as a loaner a few months ago and the interior is NOWHERE near as good as the GTI. Trust me, wait until you drive one. I'm not one to really go crazy over an interior (heck, I almost bought a MazdaSpeed 3) but it's a big difference.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The last gen Jetta was much more upscale than the current one. And the GLI of the current gen is nearly identical to the GTI.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
The Ford service experience leaves a LOT to be desired. I've had nothing but good things to say about my VW experience thus far.

X2. I have a GT and while I love the car, I hate Ford dealers. Biggest bunch of idiots I've ever encountered. VW dealer always treated me right. It felt like two completely different worlds.

As for the ST vs GTI, I would personally go with the GTI. Looks, both interior and exterior are subjective but over all I just feel the GTI is a better car. Usable rear seats, better gas mileage, better aftermarket, and I personally just like the way the car drives around town better.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright guys... test drove them both. There is absolutely no comparison between the two... GTI all day!!!! I talked numbers with the person at the dealer. They have the exact car I want (model, color...everything). They gave me a good price on my car for trade in, and I got a good sale price on the GTI too. This Saturday I will be the proud new owner of a 2013 GTI!! Thanks for everyone that chimed in here. I drove both cars, but like I said... no comparison. The GTI is so much more solid, the interior is so much nicer, and it drives so much smoother (and dare I say, it's more fun to drive than the ST). The ST was OK... but I actually looked forward to getting back into my car after driving it lol. The shifter position was awkward too.
Bender: Really? That's awesome! Already decided on a GTI. But maybe we can meet up sometime as fellow GTI owners lol.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Congrats! I drove the ST when it first came out and...no thanks. Gti all day everyday.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, GTI all the way! The fit and finish in the interior is seriously as nice as my friends 2012 Audi A4 Prestige.
Unfortunately, my computer decided to crap out on me last week which set things back a bit. I put a deposit down on the car today and I'm picking it up by the end of the month. Soon to be the owner of a candy white 2013 GTI! :D

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
I test drove an st awhile ago it was loaded with racaros and blah blah blah. The shifter feels nearly identical to the GTI. The handling feels darn close as well. The power isn't extremely noticeably different and the interior feels just as shitty as our 08 focus. Speaking of the interior if your over 180 lbs and 5'10 don't plan on being comfortable in the racaros, there a pain to get in and out of as well.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
Picked up my baby today :)
2013 candy white GTI w/ convenience and sunroof

Storch

Go Kart Champion
good choice, i work for ford and the st is nothing more than an overrated shitbox

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
good choice, i work for ford and the st is nothing more than an overrated shitbox

Yeah, I didn't feel like the ST even compared to the GTI. The GTI's fit an finish is so much better. And even though the ST is quick I feel like the GTI is still more fun to drive and it's definitely a lot smoother.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
So...need some opinions. I've had my GTI for a couple months now and while I love it, I'm already getting bored and have the itch to modify it. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now so I'm trying to figure out which mod I should do first since it'll probably be a little while before I do the next one. $600 is my limit. So... here's my list:
1. Stage 1 APR tune
2. DieselGeek short throw shifter
3. Stainless steel brake lines and stoptech pads (I hate the mushy pedal feel the car has stock)
4. DG or VWR springs (I'd ideally like to go for the Bilstein B14-PSS later on though)
What do you guys think is going to be the most worthwhile first mod?

So...need some opinions. I've had my GTI for a couple months now and while I love it, I'm already getting bored and have the itch to modify it. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now so I'm trying to figure out which mod I should do first since it'll probably be a little while before I do the next one. $600 is my limit. So... here's my list:
1. Stage 1 APR tune
2. DieselGeek short throw shifter
3. Stainless steel brake lines and stoptech pads (I hate the mushy pedal feel the car has stock)
4. DG or VWR springs (I'd ideally like to go for the Bilstein B14-PSS later on though)
What do you guys think is going to be the most worthwhile first mod?

tune, then lower it then short shifter, last should be brakes, you have brand new brakes, don't buy something that is not needed yet. swap em out at 20k, the mushy feeling is due to bushings. go buy tyrol brake stiffener kit, and the feeling won't be there. its 100$. you can then go to pads and ss lines.