GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brand new GTI 4 door with mis-aligned rear door?! Common problem?

jayczer0one

Ready to race!
Hi, what size of bit did you guys use to adjust the strike plate? I've gone to the dealership route a few times due to my windnoise issue and everytime I find something still off. The windnoise issue is now totally fixed but now the drivers door is just pushed in that makes it not aligned to the body and makes the top rubber (outer) seal pushed in as well. I just want to do it myself to do it right and within my desired specs. Any links to the part would be really helpfull as well. Thanks!

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
I've heard that happen several times..it has something to do with the rubber sealant, vdubby will take care of it in no time

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Hi, what size of bit did you guys use to adjust the strike plate? I've gone to the dealership route a few times due to my windnoise issue and everytime I find something still off. The windnoise issue is now totally fixed but now the drivers door is just pushed in that makes it not aligned to the body and makes the top rubber (outer) seal pushed in as well. I just want to do it myself to do it right and within my desired specs. Any links to the part would be really helpfull as well. Thanks!

Not sure what bit size it is but I bought a cheap Stanley brand tool from Wal-Mart that has multiple torx allen wrench style attachments that fold out sort of like a pocet knife. This works perfectly for adjusting the striker plate. Hard to believe that Quality Control at VW is not so great...can't believe I had to fix my new car right out of the factory.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I just noticed the passenger side door is a little off as well. It looks a bit further out up at the top of the door....you can literally push the outside b pillar cover in and out (hearing that lovely creak when you do). It will not line up evenly vertically...very irritating.

I simply hate asking the dealership here to touch shit like this...they always make matters worse. At the same time, I refuse to just accept flaws like this.

P

plac

ya... i wouldnt say its common.. but it happens.. my 2008:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I haven't seen a single MK6 at the showroom with perfectly aligned doors, looks like they are made to be like this lol

I would say that VW has some piss poor quality control... Parts are mostly high quality but they are just throwing on the doors without checking if the are aligned. Keep in mind these are built in Germany so quality is supposedly very important... My Mom just got a brand new Kia Optima this weekend and the fit/finish is impeccable. I kind of thought it was funny that my car that cost $10k more didn't even come with the doors aligned correctly!

echlon

Ready to race!
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I also brought my car to the dealer as my drivers door was sticking out considerably more than my rear passenger one. Took a look at the rest of my doors and my rear passenger side was also sticking out and my rear driver side door seem to be a little higher too.

Anyways, just asked the dealer to adjust the drivers door as the rest didn't really bother me but now the drivers door takes a lot of force to close. Opening and closing the door feels very weird and is also louder. The door is also sticking up higher than the rear one making a huge gap between the door seals at the top of the door.

Thank god I found this thread as I have already asked them nicely to re-adjust twice and they can't seem to get it perfect, will try moving the backplate tomorrow and see how it goes :thumbsup:, need to find the correct tool first ..

So anyone else with door alignment issues might as well do it yourself so you'll be happy with the results.