GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From RNS315 -> RNS510 Quick Q

damiennn

Ready to race!
Just purchased a used RNS510 version E / SSD, to replace my RNS315.

I read somewhere that I may need to disconnect the compass module located basically under the antenna in the rear of the car.

Can someone confirm this is really the case?

Also, is there anything else I need to mess with, OR after the compass disconnect, I should be good to go (plug and play)?

Thank you!

M

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Yes you need to disconnect the compass module or you'll get screwy readings on the display. Just gently pull the headliner down at the top center and unplug it.

damiennn

Ready to race!
Ok, yeah.. I thought so. I was hoping I could just use vagcom but seems the module itself needs to be removed. Thank you!

M

Yes you need to disconnect the compass module or you'll get screwy readings on the display. Just gently pull the headliner down at the top center and unplug it.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
actually guy above me is right. I didn't see that you were swapping nav radios. the compass module is only on non nav cars.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
pretty much plug and play, but RNS315 has built in bluetooth, RNS510 does not, you'll need a bluetooth module if it didnt come with your purchase

damiennn

Ready to race!
Oh shoot! Thats awesome. I would hate to ruin the headliner.

I read on TDI forums you had to do that IF you had a compass display on your MFI, which I do.

Glad not to have to mess with that.

Thanks all!

M

actually guy above me is right. I didn't see that you were swapping nav radios. the compass module is only on non nav cars.

damiennn

Ready to race!
Sooo .. I got my head unit + the BT module, but no harness.

Saw below 2 offerings, but cant determine which I need.
Would anyone have some insight?

My actual unit + BT module is below for reference.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
I did the same upgrade about 2 years ago. You need the harness in the top picture you posted. I ordered mine off ebay as well, $37 shipped and have never had any issue with it. This was at the end of 2016, I think their even cheaper now.
You dont technically need another microphone since there is one already there from your RNS315, but its up to you. I found it easier to just splice in the microphone cable that was already there instead of running a new one, but again up to you. I've never had a single problem with the spliced in microphone.
The smaller connector with the white tab is the bluetooth connector that you will run out the back of the headunit and down toward the passanger side floor area. Then either under the carpet along the channel to the BT module, or the slightly lazier way of tucking the wire up under the plastic piece near the shifter area till you get to under the seat.

damiennn

Ready to race!
Thank you! So freaking helpful! Almost bought both.

Yep on the mic thing.. no way I'm re-routing a new one.

Cheers man! :thumbup:

I did the same upgrade about 2 years ago. You need the harness in the top picture you posted. I ordered mine off ebay as well, $37 shipped and have never had any issue with it. This was at the end of 2016, I think their even cheaper now.
You dont technically need another microphone since there is one already there from your RNS315, but its up to you. I found it easier to just splice in the microphone cable that was already there instead of running a new one, but again up to you. I've never had a single problem with the spliced in microphone.
The smaller connector with the white tab is the bluetooth connector that you will run out the back of the headunit and down toward the passanger side floor area. Then either under the carpet along the channel to the BT module, or the slightly lazier way of tucking the wire up under the plastic piece near the shifter area till you get to under the seat.

damiennn

Ready to race!
Shoot - one more Q.. I need / have 9w7, right?

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah routing the microphone is a pain in the ass, thats why I spliced it. In the picture of the harness, that small black connector is what connects to the microphone, which is near the overhead lights. Follow that wire and cut it like a foot or so from the main harness connector.
Thats what you will splice your existing microphone wire into. Easiest way to verify is look at the pin placement for the microphone wire on the harness you buy. Then find the same pin on your cars existing harness. That will be the cars existing microphone wire and the one you will be splicing into the new harness. If I remember correctly the microphone wire contains 2 smaller wires, black & white, so its super easy to slice in, just match the colors.

That BT Module part # looks familiar. Im pretty sure thats a 9w7 but you'd have to look it up to confirm. You can use any of them (9w2/9w3/9w7) but you will want the 9w7 bc it has A2DP which will display song info etc on the RNS510 and also allow you to change songs with the steering wheel controls.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie

damiennn

Ready to race!
Again, thank you Sir! :)

Yeah routing the microphone is a pain in the ass, thats why I spliced it. In the picture of the harness, that small black connector is what connects to the microphone, which is near the overhead lights. Follow that wire and cut it like a foot or so from the main harness connector.
Thats what you will splice your existing microphone wire into. Easiest way to verify is look at the pin placement for the microphone wire on the harness you buy. Then find the same pin on your cars existing harness. That will be the cars existing microphone wire and the one you will be splicing into the new harness. If I remember correctly the microphone wire contains 2 smaller wires, black & white, so its super easy to slice in, just match the colors.

That BT Module part # looks familiar. Im pretty sure thats a 9w7 but you'd have to look it up to confirm. You can use any of them (9w2/9w3/9w7) but you will want the 9w7 bc it has A2DP which will display song info etc on the RNS510 and also allow you to change songs with the steering wheel controls.