GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Coolant Temps

iSpeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Sup fellas!

I recently installed a K04 kit in my 2011 GTI with a plethora of supporting mods. It runs great and strong but I'm noticing the running coolant temps jump to 220 or higher sometimes when I am in the city with the A/C on. The fan kicks in hard when it gets above 220(I'm reading the temps via the Torque app) and it will run for a solid 5-10 mins after I turn the car off.

I'm wondering if its common or should I be looking into a better radiator or is this a sign of a water pump starting to go?

Thanks!

iSpeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Whats the highest you've seen? 220 is fairly typical. Ive seen that on warm days especially in the city.

227 is the highest I've seen it. It regularly gets to 224 when I'm hot roddin in the city. My brother has a Mk6 GLi with the same mods and his never gets above 210 so it has me wondering...

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
227 is the highest I've seen it. It regularly gets to 224 when I'm hot roddin in the city. My brother has a Mk6 GLi with the same mods and his never gets above 210 so it has me wondering...
Flush your rad, add new coolant and bleed the air out. OR thermostat???

mraaf

Passed Driver's Ed
Different coolant mixture after k04 install

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
Torque reads like 10-15 degrees higher than the actual temp, I use to run it till I got my Cobb AP and VCDS.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Torque reads like 10-15 degrees higher than the actual temp, I use to run it till I got my Cobb AP and VCDS.

Interesting. I have Torque, OBDEleven and VCDS. Ill compare on my lunchbreak. I know theres multiple coolant temp measurements in VCDS, like radiator outlet, inlet etc. I wonder what Torque reads off of.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I was comparing my measurements today. The G62 coolant temp sensor in obdeleven and the torque reading seemed to be the same. I saw temps go from 204-220 after car was fully warmed in mostly stop and go traffic on my commute home. 82F ambient temp. It liked to sit around 204 when cruising though.

iSpeed

Passed Driver's Ed
This is good news to hear guys!

When I did the K04 install I lost a lot of radiator fluid and replaced it with half a gallon of 50/50 G13.

I was looking at getting a performance radiator but I'll do the radiator flush first and see if that helps.
As a side note, I will say that when I installed the CTS intercooler I noticed the car gots hotter quicker. I'm wondering if the thicker IC doesn't allow as much air to flow through the radiator considering the radiator sits behind the IC.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Is there an after-market thermostat that you know about that opens fully sooner?

Why though? 220 aint that bad.
I regularly sit at 210sih normal driving and sometimes 215-220 while in heavy traffic.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
What intercooler are you running? Front-mounts (in front of everything, especially if the OEM sandwich mount IC is left in place) have been known to cause higher coolant temps due to the airflow obstruction that they are.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
What intercooler are you running? Front-mounts (in front of everything, especially if the OEM sandwich mount IC is left in place) have been known to cause higher coolant temps due to the airflow obstruction that they are.

Yep this has been my problem on the track. I'm switching to a sandwich mount IC this year and adding an oil cooler.

iSpeed

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running a CTS Turbo OEM location IC. I never could understand why anyone would put an fmic and not remove the OEM IC.

On the other hand, I was doing some cleaning in the engine bay yesterday and happened to look inside the engine fuse box out of curiosity. I found a 20amp fuse just laying in the box. It's as if someone pulled it and left it there. I had to look up where it went as there were 3 open slots available. I found out it was for the F11 slot which controls the Engine Coolant Blower Motor, I knew that was my problem and sure enough it was. After a couple days of hot traffic driving and hard pulls the temp never gets above 210 now.

The last time my car was in the dealership I had a big argument with the service manager as it took them 8 fakin weeks to fix my car. I went through 5 loaner cars before I said enough was enough and I want my car back! I'd be willing to bet the mechanic purposely pulled that fuse as a Fak You! It just seems strange that the fuse was lying in the fuse box and not popped at all.