GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Stage 2 Inspection

RussellHBH

I recently went for an inspection and my Catalyst and O2S both failed, as they were not ready. I have a Cobb intake, 93 Stage 2 tune and a turboback exhaust. My battery died a few weekends ago, however I have driven a few hundred miles since then. I called Cobb and they said that I just needed to drive it more. I only need one of them to be ready to pass.

Here's the kicker...

I'm already passed my inspection date, and I have illegal tint on my car. (Live in NY) Not knowing I was gonna fail for emissions, I had my friend inspect it, so he could pass me with tint. So now I have about 5 days to figure out how to get my O2S to ready for a test.

I've been told to "just drive it" and do the VW drive cycle. But it seems that 200+ miles is more than enough to ready an O2S.

Please help

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
If you google o2 sensor mini cat you will find an o2 sensor spacer with a built in catalytic converter. This will have your sensor reading as if you had a cat in the first place.

If you have CBFA, someitimes it can be tricky but start with putting it on the last o2 sensor.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
With CBFA and different down pipes, it basically comes down to trial and error with spacer configurations. Double check with COBB that they didn’t supply a Stage 2 file that suppresses the CEL. If that’s the case, you’ll never achieve readiness.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Maybe its not miles per say and more the type of driving that the computer is expecting in order to pass the readiness. Did you do highway and city driving? Slow acceleration and decel? A guy I work with had to do it for his BMW and it took a good bit of miles to get it to finally pass. He found something online that told him the different things that needed to be done.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Either buy a VCDS cable or find someone around you with one. You can force readiness in about 10-15 minutes. It'll only work if the tune didn't suppress the CEL, as I mentioned in my previous comment. If you passed before with the same configuration, give it more drive cycles as GolNat said or use VCDS. Good luck!

ahard48

Ready to race!

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I do have a CBFA. Are you certain this would work?

Hey bro I have the same set up, grab a 42draftdesigns 02 spacer and tune down to stage 1. You won't pass with stage 2. After you flash to stage 1 and drive for about 5 miles, assuming everything else was ready before, you will pass. I live in Jersey and that's all we have to pass here is emissions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Hey bro I have the same set up, grab a 42draftdesigns 02 spacer and tune down to stage 1. You won't pass with stage 2. After you flash to stage 1 and drive for about 5 miles, assuming everything else was ready before, you will pass. I live in Jersey and that's all we have to pass here is emissions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is an important note I forgot to mention. You will almost always need to flash to stage 1 (as I did) or stock & drive around for a few miles to get readiness.

I had to re-flash like 3 times because I kept getting codes. Just drive it nice and easy below 3k rpm however crazy that sounds.

RussellHBH

Bought an O2S Spacer and will try to tune back down when I get it installed. Thanks for the help everyone!