GOLFMKV

Australia MK6 GTi build thread

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Australia K04 MK6 GTi build thread

Hi Guys,

Here's my build thread:

MY10 Golf Gti - DSG - 18's

Seems like it's silly to have what I did want on the car listed here as it's kinda changed direction a little after going to Sydney Jambo and seeing the cars race. I want me some of that. So I've revised the brief and we're heading for the following records:
- Fastest and quickest K04 GTi in Australia - DONE
- Fastest and quickest K04 GTi in the world

The most powerful title thing is nice but with such a huge disparity in dyno readings it's not really worth talking about. So here's the details and the list.

All the work has been carried out by Arthur and Mark @ Exoticars. All dyno runs have been done at Advan Performance.

Power level & mods
141.1kw atw @ Advan Performance 19/02/13 - Stock car (K03)
160.9kw atw @ Advan Performance 27/02/13 - GIAC Stage 1 tune only (K03)
221.1kw atw @ Advan Performance 16/04/13 - GIAC K04 tune, CTS K04, CTS dump pipe, CTS Intake, CTS Intercooler (K04)
235.1kw atw @ Advan Performance 05/06/13 - GIAC K04 tune, CTS K04, CTS dump pipe, CTS Intake, CTS Intercooler (K04)

1/4 Mile time & mods
14.48@96 @ WSID 20/02/13 - Stock car w/ Khumo KU36 - PUMP GAS
13.71@100.43 @ WSID 27/02/13 - Stage 1 GIAC tune w/ Hoosier DOT Radials - PUMP GAS
12.831@110.57 @ WSID 03/03/13 - GIAC/CTS K04 w/ Hoosier DOT Radials - PUMP GAS
12.266@113.64 @ WSID 29/05/13 - GIAC/CTS K04 w/ Hoosier DOT Radials - PUMP GAS

1/4 mile & dyno videos
231.1kw atw Dyno run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdyqOQYZg_0

12.266@113.64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKv8dxrbd8

Mod list @ 12/06/13
Engine/Gearbox
- CTS Turbos Intake
- CTS Turbos Dump Pipe
- CTS Turbos Cat back exhaust
- CTS Turbos K04 Kit
- CTS Turbos Intercooler
- GIAC Stage 2 tune
- Forge BOV
- SPM engine/gearbox/dogbone mounts
- Volkswagen Racing dogbone puck replacement
- eBay boost and throttle pipes
- ATA built 6 speed DSG (new synchros, 600hp clutch set, new solenoids and valves)
- Snow Performance Boost Cooler WMI kit

Suspension/Handling/Brakes
- Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
- Khumo Ecsta SX KU36 225/40/18
- KW V3 coilovers
- Porsche 986 BBK conversion

Interior/Exterior
- NewSouth Performance boost gauge kit
- Carbon fibre front lower lip
- Carbon fibre rear valance
- OEM VW RVC
- OEM Premium Bluetooth system (9W7)
- LED Level and boost actuation lights for WMI
- LED Activation switch for WMI

Next week it's in for some love:

And

Last edited:

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Stage 1 progress

We had previously established a baseline as you would have seen in our previous post of:

Quarter mile: 14.48 @ 96 @ WSID 20/02/13 - Stock car w/ Khumo KU36
Power level & mods: 141.1kw atw @ Advan Performance 19/02/13 - Stock

With the benchmark set it was time to start adding a few changes into the mix to see what we could expect performance wise.

First stop was the guys at GIAC. We grabbed an off the shelf tune and after a few days of driving the car took to the tune and we felt a huge change.

The strength through the entire midrange was improved, it was quicker across the board and much easier to drive. We're a little miffed as to why VW left the power levels on the standard car so low but after the Stage 1 tune from GIAC we're not complaining.

So with a little time for the ECU to learn we headed over to WSID to see what we could expect from the car. It's important to note that the only changes to the car from the first time around were:

• GIAC stage 1 tune
  • Hoosier DOT radials on the front
So all ready to go with a decent burnout on the used Hoosiers and we managed to run a best of 13.7 @ 100.43

Better than we were expecting on such a hot and humid night. We were very happy with the result. The best MPH we ran wasn't far off that with a mid 101MPH seen earlier in the night.

It seems as though the numbers stack up and and this stage the little GTi has delivered right on the money. A vast improvement from the previously run 14.48 @ 96 mph

It needs more horsepower ASAP to pick up more MPH and get out of the hole quicker. But from one small change and the addition of some stickier tyres that we really struggled to heat up we're chuffed.

To view a quick video of the run click HERE

At the same time the tune was going in we upgraded the GTi with a Porsche Boxster big brake kit. It consists of new mounts and Porsche 986 brake calipers. The good thing is that you're able to use your factory 312mm discs.

We also added some KW V3 suspension that's been fitted as well.

*NEWSFLASH* - Just back from the dyno at Advan Performance and the little silver nugget put out 160.9kw atw! Not bad for a simple stage 1 GIAC tune. We're really happy. The car has zero octane booster, no race fuel and no water meth.
http://exoticarsperformance.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/img_2518.jpg

I have a lot to catch up on. My Dad has a Golf R that's run 12.1 and my brothers MK6 GTi ran up 345kw atw on Tuesday.

It sucks being the slowest.

Last edited:

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Sorry guys - Pics didn't work cause I was a douche and was linking from a yet to be launched website I'm building. Der.

Anyways - Here it is!

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
You grow up with a little brother. You're bigger, faster and stronger. Then one day, that all changes.

That day was Sunday when aforementioned little brother ran 11.4 @ 130 with more in it. So, the solution??? Sunday phone call to Arthur @ Exoticars. Monday morning drop off. Friday/Saturday pick up with some new goodies. Namely:
- CTS Turbos dump pipe
- CTS Turbos intake
- CTS Turbos K04 kit
- GIAC Stage X tune

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Here's some progress shots:

Got Porsche biatch?

Sweet looking CTS dump pipe. The bend looks WAY better than the Milltek version. I've had both.

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
My little box of goodies...

Here's what's inside the box

And some more

K03 Vs K04

And one more time

Just one more

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Awesome build, love that color:thumbsup:. I'm looking forward to some 1/4 mile and dyno results. Any plans for water/meth in the future?

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Awesome build, love that color:thumbsup:. I'm looking forward to some 1/4 mile and dyno results. Any plans for water/meth in the future?

Thanks mate. There's a few more things happening today. Will post some more pics.
- CTS intercooler
- Forge BOV
- Goodridge rear braided lines

And some other bits

We'll be putting WMI on next month as soon as the setup has been sorted. Will need it for sure. That and some rods...

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Car needs to go fast STAT. Need to keep up with the 4WD brigade.

In

Dump pipe #1

Dump pipe #2

Seriously impressed with the quality of the CTS Turbos gear. Amazing.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Thanks mate. There's a few more things happening today. Will post some more pics.
- CTS intercooler
- Forge BOV
- Goodridge rear braided lines

And some other bits

We'll be putting WMI on next month as soon as the setup has been sorted. Will need it for sure. That and some rods...
Why rods? Just for peace of mind? You should be fine on stock internals with k04+meth.

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Why rods? Just for peace of mind? You should be fine on stock internals with k04+meth.
Cause I want to stick as much boost in it as I can with WMI and not have to worry about leaning on it.

As much peace as mind as it is for us to be able to try new things without worrying about throwing a leg out of bed.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Cause I want to stick as much boost in it as I can with WMI and not have to worry about leaning on it.

As much peace as mind as it is for us to be able to try new things without worrying about throwing a leg out of bed.
:word:, just remembered that GIAC is coming out with that new file too,
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57165
Do you plan on running it? I'm all over that the day it comes out, maybe I should do rods too:D

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Nice build mate!

I never understood why the Golf Cabrios and Golf R's come with LED tails but not the GTI's in Oz. :iono:

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Nice build mate!

I never understood why the Golf Cabrios and Golf R's come with LED tails but not the GTI's in Oz. :iono:

Thanks mate.

Yeah tell me about it. They stick them on the ED35 as well.

I want them but at $800 for the OEM I'd rather a WMI kit or mounts or something that will make the car faster.

Waiting on an update from my shop. Stand by!