GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone modified their KESSY key housing?

///Audience

Ready to race!
More specifically, has anyone had luck removing the chip from their VW key fob and fit it into a different fob?

I've never understood why VW kept the same flip key for the KESSY equipped vehicles. Considering we may only need to use an actual key on a very rare occasion, it would be nice to have a key like any of the Nissan/Hyundai/Porcshe/Chrysler keys that have a slimmed down and much sleeker key fob that doesn't flip open all the time while in your pocket.

I can't see it being too terribly difficult to modify the internal chip to fit into a different housing. Getting the textile key to fit would be a different story.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I agree, I hate the key popping open in my pocket. I was always curious if we could run a touareg key.

///Audience

Ready to race!
I'm just wondering if it's as simple as pulling out the chip and sticking it in a different housing. Only question would be how to retain the lock/unlock buttons, though , with KESSY, I hardly ever even use them

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
is there a way to start the car with a dead fob? I was out a few weeks ago and got into the car and the mfd kept saying key out of range then finally it started.

my bmw and lexus still had an ignition cylinder to use the key to start the car

Jaber

Modero
is there a way to start the car with a dead fob? I was out a few weeks ago and got into the car and the mfd kept saying key out of range then finally it started.

my bmw and lexus still had an ignition cylinder to use the key to start the car

Hold your keyfob up to where the key would normally go in and push the start button.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I'm just wondering if it's as simple as pulling out the chip and sticking it in a different housing. Only question would be how to retain the lock/unlock buttons, though , with KESSY, I hardly ever even use them

Ehh that seems risky. If you mess up one of your keys you will need to take your car to the dealer to reprogram it. Since only dealers can do this task they will rape you for it.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Ehh that seems risky. If you mess up one of your keys you will need to take your car to the dealer to reprogram it. Since only dealers can do this task they will rape you for it.

Eh, I've got a spare. :p I might try taking one apart just to see what comprises the Kessy chip. I have a feeling it's TINY and most of the fob is wasted space/battery/buttons.

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
This will probably come in handy. Skip to 3:06.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I've replaced the housing on my wife's Passat. Not sure if the newer keys are different, but I'd say the most important thing is if the circuit board in the GTI kessy key matches the area in the Toureg housing (which it doesn't look like it does but who knows).

The transponder is a little glass vial (a little smaller than a tic tac) that was heavily glued in the Passat's old key. I had to soak it in adhesive remover for a bit before it came out. If you break it, then you'll have to pay the dealer $$$.