GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me build a Civic Type R competitor!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
APR’s downpipe with GESI catalyst might pass. Send AWE an email and see if their Mk6 downpipe runs an HJS cat like their Mk7 downpipe does. Milltek’s UK manufacturer site states that their downpipe come with HJS cats, but some of the US distributor pictures differ, it might be worth an email to inquire. With an HJS cat I’d bet that it’ll pass an emissions test.

Your other option is to purchase an HJS catalyst and a downpipe and have the HJS cat welded in.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
APR’s downpipe with GESI catalyst might pass. Send AWE an email and see if their Mk6 downpipe runs an HJS cat like their Mk7 downpipe does. Milltek’s UK manufacturer site states that their downpipe come with HJS cats, but some of the US distributor pictures differ, it might be worth an email to inquire. With an HJS cat I’d bet that it’ll pass an emissions test.

Your other option is to purchase an HJS catalyst and a downpipe and have the HJS cat welded in.

I'll give APR a call.. Thanks for the info!

Doing some research, it appears that with the stock turbo, we can only get 280hp/340tq with the APR tune which I consider to be the best outside of a COBB pro tune. With an OTS COBB stage 2, we even get less at roughly 260hp/310tq. So this is still far off 306hp/295tq for the Type R which weighs even slightly less.

I also need an LSD. Dunno if we even have choices for that.

Suspension wise, I think "I'll cry once" and get the Bilstein PSS10 unless there's a cheaper alternative that's adjustable. I believe the Koni may be but it's a PITA to have to take the rear shock apart (and rebound only) to adjust it.

Many might say, "why don't you just get a new to you Mk7?". Simply, the wife is of the notion that it will still be cheaper to get these parts than to get a new to me car. Logical? Dunno... but for now, I have approval to mod up.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

Doing some research, it appears that with the stock turbo, we can only get 280hp/340tq with the APR tune which I consider to be the best outside of a COBB pro tune. With an OTS COBB stage 2, we even get less at roughly 260hp/310tq. So this is still far off 396hp/295tq for the Type R which weighs even slightly less.

Suspension wise, I think "I'll cry once" and get the Bilstein PSS10 unless there's a cheaper alternative that's adjustable. I believe the Koni may be but it's a PITA to have to take the rear shock apart (and rebound only) to adjust it.

Many might say, "why don't you just get a new to you Mk7?". Simply, the wife is of the notion that it will still be cheaper to get these parts than to get a new to me car. Logical? Dunno... but for now, I have approval to mod up.

I don't think the Type-R has nearly 400hp. More like 300hp... I think a K04 would help beat one but definitely nothing from the K03 will help. Not enough power and these cars are heavy.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Doing some research, it appears that with the stock turbo, we can only get 280hp/340tq with the APR tune which I consider to be the best outside of a COBB pro tune. With an OTS COBB stage 2, we even get less at roughly 260hp/310tq. So this is still far off 396hp/295tq for the Type R which weighs even slightly less.

There's plenty of LSD options out there. Wavetrac is what I have, love it so far.
I don't think the Type-R has nearly 400hp. More like 300hp... I think a K04 would help beat one but definitely nothing from the K03 will help. Not enough power and these cars are heavy.
k04 will beat them...by alot. Ask me how I know :)

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
There's plenty of LSD options out there. Wavetrac is what I have, love it so far.

k04 will beat them...by alot. Ask me how I know :)

O wow. Not bad. I bet my stage 2 could give one a run for its money. I was dead even with a Focus RS that was stage 1 mountune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
If you're talking about straight line performance, its possible to be a CTR killer or competitor. But in terms of on road course, I don't think you can even get near it.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
If you're talking about straight line performance, its possible to be a CTR killer or competitor. But in terms of on road course, I don't think you can even get near it.

Lol I’d love to see how well one of those things does on an actual track. In4race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Maybe the ones I passed at the track had bad drivers :iono:

Most likely, I've passed a CTR at my local track pretty easily as well, but you can say the same passing up Porsches, ferraris with bad drivers on a given HPDE day. But I've seen CTR at Laguna Seca lap times in stock form faster than any fully modded GTI I've seen, but the driver is of course also really good. But yeah, but with professional drivers, CTR is made to be fast, it was designed to go fast on a race track. The car has stiffer chassis, better suspension design than a MK6, better factory aero. You can't just slap on parts and expect it to be better than a factory engineered car that was meant to go fast on a track that also set the FWD nurburing record. Just for example, some vid I found at Laguna Seca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRZlf3vaU5I

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

Whoops... fat fingered it... I meant 308hp/295tq. I corrected.

But our GTI weighs just about the same as the CTR. Both are around 3100 lbs depending on options.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Most likely, I've passed a CTR at my local track pretty easily as well, but you can say the same passing up Porsches, ferraris with bad drivers on a given HPDE day. But I've seen CTR at Laguna Seca lap times in stock form faster than any fully modded GTI I've seen, but the driver is of course also really good. But yeah, but with professional drivers, CTR is made to fast, it was designed to go fast on a race track. The car has stiffer chassis, better suspension design than a MK6, better factory aero. You can't just slap on parts and expect it to be better than a factory engineered car that was meant to go fast given a proper driver and setting the FWD nurburing record. Just for example,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRZlf3vaU5I

I'm not saying they aren't capable, they are. GTI's are too if you build them up just like any car. I wouldn't put a CTR in a different league.

I've passed gt3's as well, all about the driver and how comfortable they are.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I'm not saying they aren't capable, they are. GTI's are too if you build them up just like any car. I wouldn't put a CTR in a different league.

I've passed gt3's as well, all about the driver and how comfortable they are.

^^ I passed a 1000hp GTR on Gingerman. He would mash the throttle and be on my ass until we were at a turn lol.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
A lot of those guys with expensive cars treat track days like a cruise...

they tend to only drag race in straights and baby it through turns...they showed up to the track day cause in their head the track car they bought should in theory be fast...
but dont realize its only fast with a fast driver. sorry 70 year old george, your gt3rs is cool at cars and coffee but im passing you in my lil vw at the track. Always somebody faster with far less horsepower

random pic cause i cant find my point by photos

Last edited: