GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seeking or Advice for Netogiating with Sales Associate

krammer

Passed Driver's Ed
I want 2010 GTI w/DSG, sunroof, 18in rims, autoban package, what is a good price ?
Also is there a computer chip for this car and will it default my warranty?

Thanks

Krammer :wosschilder980:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
edmunds.com can show you invoice pricing obviously the closer you can get to invoice the better

yes there is a chip available for the car, however they can deny warranty work only if they can determine it was caused by the chip. so if your windows stop working, they'll still fix it because it has nothing to do w/ your car being chipped

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
I want 2010 GTI w/DSG, sunroof, 18in rims, autoban package, what is a good price ?
Also is there a computer chip for this car and will it default my warranty?

Thanks

Krammer :wosschilder980:

My advice is do NOT negotiate with a "sales associate". Make your way to the Internet Sales Manager or, even better, the Internet Sales Director. These two positions have the power to make deals. You can complete the majority of your negotiations by phone.

Begin by educating yourself. Know in advance what you think is a fair price for the car based on the options that you want. edmunds.com and kbb.com would be a good place to start. When speaking to anyone from the dealership, demonstrate that you have done your research.

Don't let yourself get caught up in one of the marathon negotiation sessions at the dealer. These guys do this for a living and are capable of using all sorts of tactics to wear you down. Test drive the car, let them throw some numbers at you and LEAVE within 30 minutes or less. Follow up phone sessions will occur at which time you can make an offer, but as I mentioned, work with the Internet folks.

As a point of reference...Two months ago I purchased a "launch car": carbon gray, 4-door, autobahn, 18" wheels, sunroof, HIDs, bluetooth. MSRP: 30, 134. Final OTD (TTL, etc...): 30,000. I think it was a reasonable deal, but you have end of quarter, end of year to use to your advantage. Dealers want sales on the books before end of year.

Good luck...

Last edited:

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
I agree about the internet sales. I got a great deal on exactly that setup + dynaudio.

ChicityGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Internet is definately key. If you have the opprotunity avaliable to you, try and play multiple dealerships off against eachother in terms of price. Tell the right off the bat what you are looking for and let them know that you are shopping against their competition.

Another pricing site to check out with be truecar.com. They will give you dealer invoice, true cost (what the dealers will actually pay after scanbacks) and charts to what the exact car you are looking to purchase has been sold for in your area. I was able to get my mkvi spec'd out to everything I wanted (18", xenon, sunroof, dynaudio, bluetooth, manual) less than dealer invoice using this site and working 3 dealers against eachother.

Best of luck in your purchase!

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
Internet is definately key. If you have the opprotunity avaliable to you, try and play multiple dealerships off against eachother in terms of price. Tell the right off the bat what you are looking for and let them know that you are shopping against their competition.

Another pricing site to check out with be truecar.com. They will give you dealer invoice, true cost (what the dealers will actually pay after scanbacks) and charts to what the exact car you are looking to purchase has been sold for in your area. I was able to get my mkvi spec'd out to everything I wanted (18", xenon, sunroof, dynaudio, bluetooth, manual) less than dealer invoice using this site and working 3 dealers against eachother.

Best of luck in your purchase!

agreed - using zag.com i got $250 below dealer invoice...

I think you can deal with a salesperson but just remember two very important things:

1) do your homework and know what you want going in. Here on the east coast, you can get a GTI for invoice or very close to it (I was $100 over).

2) Remember you're the boss not the sales person. If you don't like anything or feel the slighest bit uncomfortable, the front door is your best friend and use it as desired. And yes, I've gotten up while a sleezy dealer was talking, told the sales manager get the F outta my way biotch while he was trying to pitch me hard after a test drive and just walked out the door. It's a free country! :bellyroll:

The internet is wonderful yes but I have bought my last two new cars in person and gotten what I considered very reasonable deals on both.

path

Ready to race!
do your homework

know what you can afford

know what you want to pay for the car

find an online calculator to see what your projected payments will be for the term you want

don't discuss down payments or trades until you have finalized the price for the car

know the KBB value of your trade in

never negotiate for a payment, the discussion of payments should be the finance manager printing it on your P&S agreement (remember you knew what it would be before you walked in)

***MOST IMPORTANTLY***

BE PREPARED TO WALK AWAY