GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Golf R or 2012 Mustang GT?

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
test drive them and it will be clear why they usually arent cross-shopped. i considered a v6 2012 mustang, but then i drove one for a week on vacation, and while I liked it, it was clear it wasn't what i wanted.

spessx

Ready to race!
test drive them and it will be clear why they usually arent cross-shopped. i considered a v6 2012 mustang, but then i drove one for a week on vacation, and while I liked it, it was clear it wasn't what i wanted.

Yeah, the rentals are the old school cheap hard plastic. You have to order a premium package to get the nice trim and seats. Even still, with the premium package and brembos you're right at the price of the golf r. Plus, ford dealers will probably negotiate more than VW dealers will on the Golf R's.

-s

ImmI

Ready to race!
performance friction pads - the brand? and it says V6 instead of V8? not sure how much I trust that info, but overall, sounds like small upgrades.

The brand is actually Performance Friction :laugh:

Yeah just a few typos here and there, but the info is correct.

Minor upgrades but certainly welcome ones.

bmxr

Ready to race!
I think it's a logical fallacy to assume these cars are not cross shopped a lot. I really wanted an '11 Mustang when I bought my GTI, and drove them more than the GTI. At the end of the day, I stuck to my budget to skip the GT, and opted for tbe GTI over the V6 Mustang as a nod to the four doors and Audi-ish interior over the only slightly better performance. If I had an"R budget", there is no doubt I would have opted for the GT and lived with the shortcomings...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think it's a logical fallacy to assume these cars are not cross shopped a lot.

I really wanted an '11 Mustang when I bought my GTI, and drove them more than the GTI. At the end of the day, I stuck to my budget to skip the GT, and opted for tbe GTI over the V6 Mustang as a nod to the four doors and Audi-ish interior over the only slightly better performance. If I had an"R budget", there is no doubt I would have opted for the GT and lived with the shortcomings...

I don't know about "a lot", but I think for the reasons/words highlighted above, most people wouldn't even go drive one if they have those concerns of budget, doors, and performance differences - you can see that on paper/on the internet. But yes, sure - some people do cross shop them, but I think very little do / actually go and drive those others cars to see, as the doors, interior, budget is something you can see just from looking online.

bmxr

Ready to race!
I don't know about "a lot", but I think for the reasons/words highlighted above, most people wouldn't even go drive one if they have those concerns of budget, doors, and performance differences - you can see that on paper/on the internet. But yes, sure - some people do cross shop them, but I think very little do / actually go and drive those others cars to see, as the doors, interior, budget is something you can see just from looking online.

Are you seriously going to argue the semantics behind allowing me to use the term "a lot"? :laugh: My point is, every time someone mentions two different cars on this or any forum, someone always says "no one compares the two anyway"... and there are ALWAYS several people in that thread who did just that. The choices are not that easy if you are open to either choice and willing to weigh the pros and cons individually.

For a lot of people... oops... for some people, picking a car is not like picking a Presidential candidate. There are always more than two options to weigh: 2,3,4,5 door; 4,6,8cyl; mpg; transmission options; electronic gizmos; most people don't even stick to a budget when buying a new car. You may know exactly what you want from researching the interwebz, but I doubt that even today, that is absolutely typical.

In my case, if the Mustang V6 had had a slightly more roomy back seat for my taste (info not on the internet), had I liked the upholstery a little more (info not on the internet), and had the last dealer I went to not tried to screw me around (info not on the internet), I would have bought it, because it is cheaper, faster, quicker, better handling, and arguably better looking than a GTI, and RWD. I could write a similar description that applies to two dozen other used and new car and truck models... In the end, the GTI was a good balance of all of the things I took into consideration, and I could not have really known that without comparing it first hand to some dissimilar vehicles.

But hey, maybe there really aren't "a lot" of people who do that... who knows... :)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The interior space is on the internet, as are interior pictures, as are pricing capabilities/knowledge and negotiating with dealers. As for actual comparisons, yes you are right, we can compare on the interwebz or think about it, I'm just saying from my experience on the webz and in real life with hundreds of car people over the last 10 years or so, I've never seen someone too seriously cross shop such different vehicles like that. But yes, point taken on "a lot", its like arguing what the meaning of "is" is ;)

rondocap

Ready to race!
The Golf R is a wonderful car - top notch interior, feels special from the outside and inside.

But it is not on par performance wise with the new Mustang GT - power and handling wise. You may mod it to get closer, but out of the box, the GT is faster. Now, you have to see if that is really important to you - the Golf R may be a better balanced car when you take into account all facets of daily driving, but no doubt the Mustang is a bigger kick in the back.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Krausen

Ready to race!
the blue dress!!! :bellyroll:

This thread is now about Monica Lewinsky.