GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

doofoo's 2013 Golf TDI Build

doofoo

Go Kart Newbie
So I figured I would track this in a journal style here as things progress.

Apologies early on, I always take a lot of pictures..

First, the specs on the car:

2013 VW Golf TDI 4 Door DSG (Blue Metallic)
Tech Package

Plans for the car, kind of up in the air on some of them but we'll see how it goes.

1) 20% Tint all around (Completed)
2) GTI Exhaust (50% Completed, Waiting on rear valance)
I already picked up the exhaust, you can see the pics below. Waiting on the other parts from VW. I love the look of the dual exhaust on the MK6's.
3) Weathertech Floorliners (Ordered, Waiting for package)
Can't live without these, order them on every car I get.
4) VAGCOM Mods (Pending)
Already have the cable from my MK5 and setup with my Surface Pro (Makes a great car computer for programming and datalogging btw). Just haven't had time to go outside and perform the updates.
5) HAM Radio Install (Ordering Phase)
Will either install a Icom 880H or Icom 7100, I will only be using it for 2M in the car, HF in the house so it will be a quick swap install. Powerpole connectors, Thru-Glass 2M Larsen antenna, etc.
6) RNS-510 Retrofit (Research Phase)
Looking into what all is required to replace RNS-315 w/ RNS-510 - Probably need new harness, 9W7 Bluetooth Module and RNS-510. Could be spendy.
7) GTI Plaid Seats (Pending - Finding suitable donor seats)
Like the Plaid more than the Golf stock seats, really liked them in my Mk5 GTI
8) Chipped (Research Phase)
Still trying to figure out if I want more power or what - Ultimately I'm sure I'll pull the DPF and everything out once I go out of warranty. I'll probably hold off on the chip for a while, hoping APR will release something but will consider the other tuners
9) Lowering Springs or Coilovers (Research Phase)
I don't want to lower it much, I like the ability to not destroy the frontend when I pull over a curb, but I want the suspension to be a little tighter. Suggestions?
10) LED Taillights (Research Phase)
Not sure yet on this, love the look but not the price

I'm sure I'll think of some other stuff later.. :)

Pics for now:

Exhaust and Lift Pics:

doofoo

Go Kart Newbie
Oh yeah.. A few more.. From the time I picked it up.

Traded my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 w/ Track Package & Recaro seats for the TDI.

The color goes great with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee though.. It's listed as being Maximum Steel Metallic.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Whoa...im thinking about a mustang equipped exactly like that. Why did you trade it ?

doofoo

Go Kart Newbie
Whoa...im thinking about a mustang equipped exactly like that. Why did you trade it ?

I just didn't drive it. I have other cars and work from home. I put 2600 miles on it over a full year (I purchased it July 4th), traded it last week.

I got a killer deal on the car new, and a great deal on trade so basically only paid a couple grand to "rent" it for a year. :)

It was a great car though.. Lots of power, but I always wanted to drive it hard and fast. So that probably wouldn't have worked out for me with tickets. It was a pain to put my daughter in the back seat as well.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Since you don't drive much why go with the tdi?

doofoo

Go Kart Newbie
Since you don't drive much why go with the tdi?

Sorry I should have been more specific.

It's a 3rd car, weekend car.

I had 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2006 Civic LX 4 Door, 2013 Mustang GT Track Package.

When we go on trips to visit family in upstate NY or in Myrtle Beach, SC (we're in the DC Metro area) - we only took the Jeep. It was racking up miles way way too quickly and it costs a lot more at 25mpg highway than a TDI does at 42+.

The Civic was too small, and older for me to feel comfortable driving those long distances. The Mustang was well.. Just a Mustang, no way I'm driving to Myrtle Beach with my wife and daughter with the lack of space and I hate sitting in traffic with a 6 speed.

In that respect, it made sense for me to get rid of the Mustang and get the TDI. I had a 2009 Jetta TDI before and missed the mileage. Funny, I actually traded my 2009 Jetta TDI in on my 2013 Mustang. Should have never traded it I guess, but I wanted a faster car.. Now I want another Hatch (had a 06 GTI which I loved - traded that for a 2010 Tiguan, which I traded on the 2014 Jeep).

Now I'll probably sell the 2006 Civic since I don't need it anymore (it was the around town car). I have a Factory Five Project 818 I am building right now as well (uses WRX Drivetrain) - 300-350hp @ under 2000lbs. Should be a fun fast car. I can do without the Mustang after I get that built.

That should give you a good full picture of my crazy car buying habits. :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Makes a lot of sense :) golf is much more enjoyable than the Civic for sure.