GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whiteline Endlink Clunk?

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Has anyone had any experience with Whiteline end links making popping noises? Sounds like a knuckle knocking on a heavy door. It's not a click, rather a thump.

About 15,000 miles on them, corner balanced upon installation and torqued to spec.

Is this normal wear and tear, or is this a known issue?

Went through the front suspension this weekend and everything was torqued within spec. Checked the sway bar bushings too, no abnormal wear anywhere I could find.

Thought it could be the pillow ball mounts on my coilovers transferring more noise to the cabin (based upon previous experience) but that wouldn't explain the 6k miles I drove without any abnormal noises.

Anyone?

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
I would agree. most likely need to retorque/retighten the nuts.

had that happen to my endlinks. retightened and the noise disappeared. it was loose by maybe 1/8 of a turn too.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it's probably the locking nuts. Had his happen to me. Don't even bother torquing them, just tighten them up REALLY good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I installed whiteline fronts about 5 months ago and have had clunks every since. I've adjusted them probably 6 times and it does improve/worsen each time. I ended up selling the new set of rear endlinks because I didn't want to deal with them any more. Ordered 034 front/rears and will be selling the whiteline fronts shortly after. Performance wise they do fine, just too clunky for me.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Mine clunk as well. Had mine adjusted while getting corner balanced and aligned so everything is on proper but I usually get clunking at low speed when turning tight on a bit of an incline or decline. I also have a feeling its not the links but possibly the sway rubbing the control arm, it's pretty close to it.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
I'm going to check everything out again today and make sure I didn't miss anything- though I did re-torque them when I checked everything out the first time.

I'll check for the sway bar hitting the control arm, though it'd be weird that it starts happening quite some time after I installed them.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
I'm not surprised these types of endlinks clunk. I did some google research and most endlinks with "spiracle metal bearings" end up clunking after a couple of thousand miles. Even Neuspeed states that their rear swaybar endlink bearings will wear out and start making noise.
After doing the research I opted to buy/install the Hotchkis adjustable front sway bar endlinks which have "OEM+" ball links. I have about 4000 miles on them and they're working great with no clunks. :thumbup:

Last edited:

jshay

Go Kart Champion
I'm not surprised these types of endlinks clunk. I did some google research and most endlinks with "spiracle metal bearings" end up clunking after a couple of thousand miles. Even Neuspeed states that their rear swaybar endlink bearings will wear out and start making noise.
After doing the research I opted to buy/install the Hotchkis adjustable front sway bar endlinks which have "OEM+" ball links. I have about 4000k miles on them and they're working great with no clunks. :thumbup:

Jesus.