GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership just said my engine is worse than quoted...

cevil203

Ready to race!
TL: DR Originally quoted $4200, now cylinder head is warped and they're saying its $6800....they said cylinder head was good after diagnosis

So recently my 70k mile 2013 GTI had idle shake and CEL. I paid $280 to have a local VW dealer diagnose the issue, and the car has been with them a week now.

Their diagnosis was camshaft screen broke and went into the camshaft, timing chain jumped. They said I need to replace the camshaft, camshaft bridge, timing chain and tensioner and misc bolts etc. I am told there are no bent valves, and the head/cylinder is in good shape. Total quote was $4200+tax.

After debating, I decided it would be best to just have them do the work and i'll put in a claim to VWoA, even though i'm just out of warranty. They're looking into it. I spoke with VWoA today and they requested I provide some records, which I did, though the car has been split maintenance between VW and another shop. They advised they may be able to help with the camshaft, but not the timing chain? I need the records first though. This sounds funny...

I went back to the VW dealer today to drop off some parts, and they tell me there is an update. I'm told when they removed the camshaft to replace it, they noticed damage to the cylinder head, as its suppose to be smooth, but i'm told its warped. The quote is now $6800 for parts/labor... WTF...

What should I do? I'm currently waiting on VWoA's decision, but I feel misled by the dealer and VW entirely....Had I known it would be so much, I could have just done an engine swap or just sold the car entirely. Had I known a catastrophic engine failure would happen that is outside of my control, i'd never have bought a VW, or i'd only lease. This whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
What the actual eff. I know this guy near me that paid $1900 for a gently used TSI engine. I'd tell them to shove it, google some engines and swap that beezy. That being said, I would wait for VWofA to see what their response is. Additionally, I wouldn't go off on the dealer yet, because they still might end up fixing it via VW of A.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
What the guy above me said. Go to an indy shop and find a used engine.

Uberryan

Banned
Dealer is always going to be more expensive, and they're always looking for a way to make more money off a repair. VW is aware of a timing chain issue, however which needs to be addressed by the NHTSA. Catastrophic engine failures are the new VW norm, where as 10+ years ago, it was electrical issues. The value of your car can't be anymore than $12k with that mileage, so you're talking about half the value of the car to repair, and likely out of your pocket since VWoA is butthole tight on extending "goodwill" repairs after they cost themselves billions with the whole TDI scandal. You could talk to a lawyer as well since there's enough reports and complaints on the timing chain issue to warrant a suit against the manufacturer. I've never seen this many drivetrain recalls and problems on any other platform for any other brand aside from the one off issues here and there.

cevil203

Ready to race!
What the actual eff. I know this guy near me that paid $1900 for a gently used TSI engine. I'd tell them to shove it, google some engines and swap that beezy. That being said, I would wait for VWofA to see what their response is. Additionally, I wouldn't go off on the dealer yet, because they still might end up fixing it via VW of A.

I'm waiting on VWoA say before moving forward. I'm worried the dealership will say they already started the work and put me on the hook for the $4200....i'd have done an engine swap already had it been more...so mad...

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
If i were you i would call them immediately and tell them to stop all work. Your insane man, $4200 just for camshaft, camshaft bridge, timing chain and tensioner and bolts? Most indy shops would charge $2500 to put in a new (used) engine. Sounds like the dealership is out to make a pretty buck.

cevil203

Ready to race!
If i were you i would call them immediately and tell them to stop all work. Your insane man, $4200 just for camshaft, camshaft bridge, timing chain and tensioner and bolts? Most indy shops would charge $2500 to put in a new (used) engine. Sounds like the dealership is out to make a pretty buck.

not sure where you are getting your numbers from. buying a used engine is 2200+ the labor which looks to be anywhere from 14-20 hrs.

cevil203

Ready to race!
14-20 hours is really high. It's more like 8-10.

Idk, I called two german auto/performance shops that aren't VW, and I was quoted 14 and 20 hrs. From what i've read, its probably a 10 hr job to just do the swap, but getting all the electrical stuff to work is where the extra hours come in. If its an engine swap, does it make sense to have a mom and pop shop do the job? I was just worried that they might mess up the electrical.

I can't seem to find any cheap indy places up in Connecticut that have good reviews. Excelerate isn't usually cheaper than VW...

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Idk, I called two german auto/performance shops that aren't VW, and I was quoted 14 and 20 hrs. From what i've read, its probably a 10 hr job to just do the swap, but getting all the electrical stuff to work is where the extra hours come in. If its an engine swap, does it make sense to have a mom and pop shop do the job? I was just worried that they might mess up the electrical.

I can't seem to find any cheap indy places up in Connecticut that have good reviews. Excelerate isn't usually cheaper than VW...

Tow the car to chicago, I'll do it for 12 book hours no matter how long it takes. I really don't see how the electrical can get messed up. You're not replacing the wiring harnesses with an engine swap.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Damn man, sorry your having this much trouble. Was the original culprit the timing chain tensioner or was it a different issue?

cevil203

Ready to race!
Damn man, sorry your having this much trouble. Was the original culprit the timing chain tensioner or was it a different issue?

The timing chain had jumped and tensioner needed to be replaced, but the camshaft screen apparently broke in half and went into the engine. I'm not sure which led to the other.

But now the head is warped...which they told me was not the case after diagnosis...so that pisses me off.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Could insurance total the car? Or is that out of the question?