GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Engine and Trans into a MK6

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
The MK7 GTI platform isn't that much better than the MK6 that it justifies the headache. The only real benefit of the MK7 GTI is the IS38 is a tad quicker than a MK6 KO4. It's like a 20ish HP/TQ difference (according to APR).

I disagree, there are definitely compelling differences. The factory LSD on the mk7 is a major difference, and I get the sense that the Gen3 motors will be much more reliable than our Gen1 motors, but time will tell. Also, stock turbo to stock turbo is not even close, stage 1 Gen3 absolutely smokes a stage 1 Gen1.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I disagree, there are definitely compelling differences. The factory LSD on the mk7 is a major difference, and I get the sense that the Gen3 motors will be much more reliable than our Gen1 motors, but time will tell. Also, stock turbo to stock turbo is not even close, stage 1 Gen3 absolutely smokes a stage 1 Gen1.

There's been pages and pages of debate on that "factory lsd" I'm of the opinion that while it's a huge improvement over the mk6 diff, it's still not a real mechanical lsd and doesn't behave as one.

Stock turbo no doubt is a huge gain over the mk6. There's no questioning that at all. Those stage 1 numbers are very impressive and gets you a quick enough car for very little money.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
There's been pages and pages of debate on that "factory lsd" I'm of the opinion that while it's a huge improvement over the mk6 diff, it's still not a real mechanical lsd and doesn't behave as one.

Def fair point and I agree. Better than mk6 for sure, and a major selling point for people (like myself) who wouldn't consider a mechanical LSD upgrade for either mk6 or mk7.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Def fair point and I agree. Better than mk6 for sure, and a major selling point for people (like myself) who wouldn't consider a mechanical LSD upgrade for either mk6 or mk7.

I hear you on that, it's an expensive part and even more expensive labor to install it. That said it's been one of the best mods I've done to the car.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I hear you on that, it's an expensive part and even more expensive labor to install it. That said it's been one of the best mods I've done to the car.

I can see that it would be, and if I was smart I would have done it much earlier on. At 146k miles now, I feel like it'd be a pretty strong commitment considering it's not something you can unbolt when selling the car to recoup some of the cost.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
...going back to the original post. I think swapping a mk7 engine into a mk6 would prolly go easier than expected. Most likely you'd have to do some massaging of the engine bay and reroute some stuff. However, making the engine talk to the ECU is another story. I don't know if this is something you could achieve with vagcom but you'd definitely struggle to make the car talk to the engine.

A few years ago, someone got a hellcat engine to run in an old muscle car without all of the fancy electronics that dodge said HAD to be there for the engine to run. If that's possible, I'm sure you could run a mk7 engine in a mk6.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
...going back to the original post. I think swapping a mk7 engine into a mk6 would prolly go easier than expected. Most likely you'd have to do some massaging of the engine bay and reroute some stuff. However, making the engine talk to the ECU is another story. I don't know if this is something you could achieve with vagcom but you'd definitely struggle to make the car talk to the engine.

A few years ago, someone got a hellcat engine to run in an old muscle car without all of the fancy electronics that dodge said HAD to be there for the engine to run. If that's possible, I'm sure you could run a mk7 engine in a mk6.

If I remember correctly the only reason they had trouble starting the hellcat is that it was looking for a KESSY signal and they’d omitted to include the controller! Otherwise it worked just fine, however it was not trying to integrate into an existing system like the MK7 would be, I too though don’t believe it would be as difficult as it appears to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Is it possible? Of course, anything is possible with enough time, money, and expertise (and standalone engine management).

The big question is what is the metric for whether it's worth it? You go through all the time and effort and money to do the swap, and you're still into a Mk6 with the same amount of wear on the suspension components at the end of the day.

Getting the engine itself into the car probably wouldn't be too hard. Getting it to actually run is probably way harder than its worth.

Fitting might be not too hard if you're good with custom fabricating axles, engine/trans mounts (look it up, they are SUPER different), downpipe, charge piping (not too bad), and probably a whole host of other pieces.

ben_m

Ready to race!

Wasn't that on Fast n loud (Richard Rawlings shop)??