GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update

Cwinne

Ready to race!
How do I get the dealer to replace this. It's at the dealer now for general maintenance, brake fluid change, intake manifold replacement, and water pump replacement.

Can I just tell them to replace the tensioner while its there cause the updated part or it has to come in with the problem?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
How do I get the dealer to replace this. It's at the dealer now for general maintenance, brake fluid change, intake manifold replacement, and water pump replacement.

Can I just tell them to replace the tensioner while its there cause the updated part or it has to come in with the problem?

You can ask them to do it. It's not standard maintenance, they'll charge you labor. It is being covered under warranty after failure, but there's no recall covering it.

Cwinne

Ready to race!
I tried, they told me its rare when it happens, but is covered up to 60k miles.

They said they found a trend of failures on tuned cars stage 2 and up. The dealer I goto is mod friendly, so it seems they know a bit about it.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion

They said they found a trend of failures on tuned cars stage 2 and up. The dealer I goto is mod friendly, so it seems they know a bit about it.

So they refused to perform the service at your expense, with the explanation that your power train warranty covers that failure up to 60k? I mean, they're not wrong - but it's very odd they wouldn't just do it for you if that's what you wanted.

How many miles on your car? I think most people who are doing this preemptively (myself included) are nearing the end of, or passed, their power train warranties. So maybe this is just a bunch of good guys trying to save you cash until you have a reason to spend it?

Cwinne

Ready to race!
I tried to get it done under warranty. I'm about to hit 36k.

I'd rather just do it myself, it looks pretty straight forward.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion

That sounds like they are talking out of their ass in an effort to make it easier to explain why they AREN'T covering you under warranty later.

Tune has nothing to do with this.

Gino936

Ready to race!
So just for clarification, if we have the startup rattle as illustrated in the video, we should be changing the tensioner?

Would the rattle be enough to have the maintenance item be covered by the 60k warrenty?

Counter Hold Tool Soon For sale

I just want to throw this out there I purchased this tool last week right now it is sitting in my basement in its un-opened box.

I am going to do the timing chain tensioner Job this week and after I am done with it I will pass it on to the next person who needs it.

I can save everyone the trouble on this, when I purchased its a silly process.

When I purchased it it cost $41.00 but they do not include shipping or tax on the, a few days later I got 2 charges on my account for this item one for $57 and one for $55, 4 days later after everything cleared the ends price was $55 and the $57 was put back into my account.
Being that I will only use this one time after I am done with it I will sell this for exactly how much I payed for it $55 shipped to your house. I don't want to make any money on this and I would rather not loose anything I just want to pass the tool along and I would say the next person who gets it do the same.

Let me know if any one is interested I will make sure to post it on here when I have the payment from that person. As it stands right now I will have it shipped out either Sat or Mon.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
I would say you either let the timing get off by a tooth when you did it or proper tension wasn't applied by the new tensioner which let it skip a tooth when you started it (The only way I see that happening is if you didn't pull the retainer pin to release the tensioner.)

The only answer now is to pull it all apart and set your timing which will include quite a bit more than this DIY covers.

1. I would start calling around for labor estimates
2. I wouldn't drive my car until I knew for a fact that it wasn't going to get off timing more and destroy the engine.