GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 with downpipe, worth it?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
I searched, could not find, I'm sure this has been discussed though.

Currently I'm APR Stage 1 fully loaded and have been for 4 years with no issues. Wanting a bit more sound from the exhaust and a bit more power, thinking the 3 inch catless downpipe would be perfect (probably eBay $100 one).

Not necessarily wanting to go stage 2 for fears of having to do a clutch job in the future, right now my clutch has 40k miles (warranty replaced the entire thing) and catches hard, no slippage, no issues at all.

Is just going with a downpipe worth it staying stage 1? Would I get CEL's? Should I just go stage 2 with the downpipe?

Thanks

tofuD01

Ready to race!
If you have downpipe then may as well go stage 2, if you just want sound and stage 1 then get an exhaust.

Laimface

Ready to race!
You can get a low torque stage 2, so the clutch will survive!

BlueE30

Ready to race!
You can get a low torque stage 2, so the clutch will survive!

I didn't know APR offered that for the mk6's... I see they offer a low torque tune for the new R's but didn't see one for ours. Thanks!

JKoehle

Ready to race!
On TaT so i'm not sure how to link threads, but the consensus seems to be that the power in stage 2 comes from the DP itself and that the flash is really only there for the test pipe file to prevent a CEL.

I'm Stage 1 with full turboback and haven't had a CEL (CBFA)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Hmmm. Ok then, good news.

Think I will throw the downpipe on, hope that I don't get a CEL, if it happens I'll go get flashed to Stage 2 and call it a day.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

BlueE30

Ready to race!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Im not sure about those. I used these guys...
http://belugaracing.com/product/bel...-gti-2-0t-mkvi-3-ccta-downpipe-down-pipe-mk6/

looks like they have upped their pricing when i bout it from them it was only $120.00

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
a good thing to note is almost every one of these Ebay downpipes are built for CCTA so if you are CBFA there are modifications to the bolt pattern and you need a bung welded in as well to use them.

Ebay brands i know about are Manzo and Godspeed.(plus beluga but i bought from their website not ebay).

BlueE30

Ready to race!
a good thing to note is almost every one of these Ebay downpipes are built for CCTA so if you are CBFA there are modifications to the bolt pattern and you need a bung welded in as well to use them.

Ebay brands i know about are Manzo and Godspeed.(plus beluga but i bought from their website not ebay).

Cool, thank you for that. I'm CCTA so won't have to worry about the CBFA downpipe challenges.

Also, fortunately, we don't have emission testing or vehicle inspections up here whatsoever so I won't need a cat.

dkg010

Passed Driver's Ed
On TaT so i'm not sure how to link threads, but the consensus seems to be that the power in stage 2 comes from the DP itself and that the flash is really only there for the test pipe file to prevent a CEL.

I'm Stage 1 with full turboback and haven't had a CEL (CBFA)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no CEL? what you using spacers?

dkg010

Passed Driver's Ed
CBFA engine also, figure eventually want to k04 it but would like to not have to deal with failing inspection