GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Body Upgrade

jkells

Ready to race!
my stratified tune is boss and i dont have any issues with the DSG.
That is the other thing that I have to consider unfortunately, is changing from my crap APR tune. I'm actually in the market for a different tuner right now. I'm in talks with HPA because I also want to get their intake manifold. But as previously said that $600 tuning cost is really going to hurt. LOL.

As for the throttle body upgrade, from what Im told that it may not even through a code that the ECU will adjust for the improved air quality/quantity (as with TMD, IC, Intake, Charge/Throttle pipes).

I am glad their are so many interested in this topic though[emoji3]

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

jkells

Ready to race!
APR is all about getting power and torque NOW. Which is great and all on launch, but the significantly drop in the higher RPM ranges where as other tuners (in this case HPA) continuously gains power throughout the RPM range even on the stock K03. And HPAs torque doesnt drastically drop after 3000 rpms like APR does. And APR offers VERY little to any custom mapped files, it seems they specifically want to use their own products/builds. Other tuners allow you to deviate and experiment.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Sick. Stock turbo? Stratified is on my shortlist, I just hope I wouldn't miss dat 325 ft-lbs.
Yeah stock turbo. I didnt do the data log revisions so its basiaclly just a "raw" file they sent but it works really well i could do the revisions and probably get a some more power out of it as they actually spend a little more time catering to your car.

But i did the v-dyno with some logs and i was coming in around 240whp and 280wtq.

Thats not a real dyno so take that however you want lol.

jkells

Ready to race!
Once I get a FULL reply from ECS and Gremm I will post what they say about the ECU interacting with this throttle body

drakore

Ready to race!
Apparently you can use the 3.2L A5 TB which is 75mm. Part number is:

06e 133 062 c

Although people are saying that it doesn't help much in the BT thread.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

jkells

Ready to race!
Verdict from ECS and Gram is that it WILL NOT throw any hard codes and will work with my APR tune. "The Grams 70mm Throttle Body for the Volkswagen GTI MK5/MK6 is designed in mind for either a completely stock or heavily modified engine. The Throttle body provides a precision-honed oversize bore to allow more air into the intake, thus allowing for greater breathability of your GTI. This will have a slight increase of horsepower and torque with a tremendous noticeability in throttle response. To ensure the best performance, throttle response and driveability, each TPS sensor is calibrated to meet the exact requirements of the vehicles engine management system."

I will definitely follow up with a review after purchase and installation.

Chris659

Ready to race!
my cars rather responsive.. how unresponsive are your guys cars that you are looking to make it that much quicker

I've got a ported and polished K04 with HPA intake manifold with pretty much every other known bolt on. Figured if I can get a lil more out of it and it not cost much than I'm all for it!

Especially if it revises how responsive the throttle by wire system is. I was about to spend the same amount on a pedal box.

Im happy with my tune but there's always more, right? Isn't that why most if not all of us are on here? MoPowah!

Chris659

Ready to race!
APR is all about getting power and torque NOW. Which is great and all on launch, but the significantly drop in the higher RPM ranges where as other tuners (in this case HPA) continuously gains power throughout the RPM range even on the stock K03. And HPAs torque doesnt drastically drop after 3000 rpms like APR does. And APR offers VERY little to any custom mapped files, it seems they specifically want to use their own products/builds. Other tuners allow you to deviate and experiment.

I've been happy with my HPA tunes so far! Daryl and Marcel are both extremely knowledgeable but be patient with them! When they tell you a date, add a few days to a week or so to it. Be patient but the end result is very nice! Very smooth reliable power. Not the MOST powerful though and hey won't build a custom high octane tune nor a tune specifically for WM so depending on what you want they may not be the company for you.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Without custom mapping i feel like this would lean out thecar a little bit. Depends on how much air the car currently actually needs to suck in, and if the stock TB is actually a bottle neck. That said i do recall doing a different tb on a previous car and remember the throttle response was nice. Hiwever the actual gains may have been marginal. It may seem to be the best route to have no bottlenecks and a straight through system, but i cannot comment for this car in particular; some cars benefit having a small bottleneck on the intake or exh side.