GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow on Intake

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Noticed the other day that a little bit of snow gets into my APR intake on very snowy drives, not enough to cause immediate issues or make me worry about hydro locking or anything crazy, but wondering if come spring time I should replace or re oil the filter, could the melting snow have damaged the filter or its filtering abilities in any way?

And a quick photo of the car after playing in some powder for you southerners who dont believe there could possibly be enough snow to get in my engine bay like that! I dont worry about driving her in the snow until its high enough that all the snow flies over the hood and covers the window blinding me! Those days I stay home...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You actually opened the air box & saw snow on the filter itself and/or in the air box?

If snow gets in, it usually just melts from the engine bay heat & pools at the bottom of the air box and eventually evaporates
(I noticed a small water line on my Carbonio after a winter)

You're most likely fine though. It'll all dry out

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
You actually opened the air box & saw snow on the filter itself and/or in the air box?

If snow gets in, it usually just melts from the engine bay heat & pools at the bottom of the air box and eventually evaporates
(I noticed a small water line on my Carbonio after a winter)

You're most likely fine though. It'll all dry out

Yeah I poked a flashlight through and saw that it was collecting in and around the filter a little bit.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
It's normal and won't harm anything. Definitely good practice to at least clean the filter once a year if not just replace it. The k&n replacements are fairly cheap.

Yeah I might just get a replacement in spring as a maintenance item. Sadly once you pay all the shipping and import duties and such the cheapest one I can find is over $100 to get to Canada

Edit: I Take that back ^ I just found one for $70 on Amazon Prime! Going to order one and probably throw it on in spring because I dont trust myself to try clean it and not over oil it and mess up sensors.

Last edited: