GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

juhaniengelberg

Passed Driver's Ed
Are all the winter tires fresh at tire rack (produced this fall)?
How can I make sure that I get the freshest possible tires when ordering from tire rack?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Are all the winter tires fresh at tire rack (produced this fall)?
How can I make sure that I get the freshest possible tires when ordering from tire rack?

Though we can't guarantee the DOT dates on the tires you will receive, our inventory is first in/first out and I can check the dates on the tires we have shipped most recently to give you an idea.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Year: 2011
Make: VW
Model: GTI
Tires only or winter package: package

Two questions:
1) Must I go down to 16 in? I like the rim choices at 17 in better, and also wonder about any effects on mileage of going smaller.
2) Performance snows vs regular studless? My highway/city commute is usually plowed, though often badly. Unless it is a really bad winter, though, I'm much more likely to be dealing with cold and wet. Further, there is a good chance I may move to Denver while I own these tires, where it is either snowy or dry.

Was thinking moda md11's with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's. Do you like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's better? The closeout version looks like a good deal. FWIW, my car is new as of July, and I will keep it at least 5 years.

No, you do not have to go with 16's, you can do 17's if you prefer. If you are dealing mostly with cold and wet, you will likely be served better with a performance winter tire. You will still have good winter traction for Denver, just not quite as good for the deep stuff. The Pilot Alpin PA3 and the Wintersport 3D are very similar, but in your case I would likely opt for the Dunlop due to slightly better deep snow traction for when/if you make the move to Denver.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
I recently moved to Indianapolis, IN, and this is the first time I will be driving in snow. I drive 40 miles each way to work on 95% highways, which I was told are frequently plowed. My wife drives 4 miles each way to work on what we were told are frequently plowed roads. Since we just moved, I have no idea how much snow falls in Indianapolis, but my 40 mile commute is straight north, which gets (I was told) more snow than Indianapolis. Which package would you recommend for the vehicles below:

Mine
Year: 2011
Make: VW
Model: GTI
Tires only or winter package: Package

Wife
Year: 2009
Make: Nissan
Model Altima SL (which BTW, is not listed in your website)
Tires only or winter package: Package

Welcome to the Hoosier state! Indy has an average annual snowfall of 27". For the GTI, I would probably go for a performance winter tire. Since you are doing a majority highway, I would consider the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (which currently has a $70 mail in rebate for a set of four making the net less than the Dunlop in 205/55R16) and either a steel wheel or any of our alloys such as the ASA GT1 which is on closeout at the moment for $99 each.

For the wife, I would probably go for a studless ice and snow, either the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 or the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (I will be getting my wife the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70). Though the handling on these tires is not the most precise, I would want to have the best traction possible for the wife and kids (if there are any). For the wheel, again, the steel wheel, or maybe the Elbrus I02 (has wider spread spokes for ease of clearing ice and snow build up).

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
I figure I'll just ask here. I just got a set of steelies 16" 5x112 6.5" ET50, and I'm looking for a set of winter tires. I live in Queens NY, and commute to Long Island NY every day. Streets around my house don't get plowed very often (usually we are left at the end), and last winter was terrible for me (got stuck two blocks from my house and couldn't move the car for 3 days). What do you recommend? Not looking to go crazy on tires. I'm mostly interested in good traction, not looking to speed during winter, but would like a comfortable ride. Another question, is there any special care I would have to give to my Detroits and stock wheels, to prevent them from drying out while in storage? And last but not least, I have rubber stems on my OEMs, I know the metal ones had the built in TPMS, but how do the rubber ones work?

PS: Its a 4 door.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
I figure I'll just ask here. I just got a set of steelies 16" 5x112 6.5" ET50, and I'm looking for a set of winter tires. I live in Queens NY, and commute to Long Island NY every day. Streets around my house don't get plowed very often (usually we are left at the end), and last winter was terrible for me (got stuck two blocks from my house and couldn't move the car for 3 days). What do you recommend? Not looking to go crazy on tires. I'm mostly interested in good traction, not looking to speed during winter, but would like a comfortable ride. Another question, is there any special care I would have to give to my Detroits and stock wheels, to prevent them from drying out while in storage? And last but not least, I have rubber stems on my OEMs, I know the metal ones had the built in TPMS, but how do the rubber ones work?

PS: Its a 4 door.

From the sounds of things, I would recommend the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. It will give you the best winter traction and a comfortable ride. For storage on the Detroits, just wash them thoroughly and apply a nice coat of wax. I would recommend a storage unit like our tire garage or tire totes. In the alternate you can use a garbage bag to keep them dust free.

STORAGE OPTIONS LINK

The rubber stems means your GTI monitors tire pressure using the ABS braking system to measure tire rotation.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
From the sounds of things, I would recommend the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. It will give you the best winter traction and a comfortable ride. For storage on the Detroits, just wash them thoroughly and apply a nice coat of wax. I would recommend a storage unit like our tire garage or tire totes. In the alternate you can use a garbage bag to keep them dust free.

STORAGE OPTIONS LINK

The rubber stems means your GTI monitors tire pressure using the ABS braking system to measure tire rotation.

Thanks for the quick response. Now, what should I do to protect the actual tire, from drying/cracking while in storage.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Thanks for the quick response. Now, what should I do to protect the actual tire, from drying/cracking while in storage.

There is nothing I would put on the tread of the tire itself, and in general I am not the biggest fan of tire dressing. However, you can dress the sidewall with a non-petroleum based product to help prevent cracking.

We do carry a product by Griot's Garage that would be as good as any:

GRIOTS TIRE CARE LINK

Tat1067

Passed Driver's Ed
No, you do not have to go with 16's, you can do 17's if you prefer. If you are dealing mostly with cold and wet, you will likely be served better with a performance winter tire. You will still have good winter traction for Denver, just not quite as good for the deep stuff. The Pilot Alpin PA3 and the Wintersport 3D are very similar, but in your case I would likely opt for the Dunlop due to slightly better deep snow traction for when/if you make the move to Denver.

Thanks, Sonny, for your reply! Two more questions: I notice there are two versions of the Dunlop Wintersport 3D on the site. One is a closeout for $155, and the other is fully priced. What's the difference?

Second, when I pull up the shipping screen, I notice that the warehouse given is near me. Can I just go there and pick up my purchase and save $80 in shipping?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Thanks, Sonny, for your reply! Two more questions: I notice there are two versions of the Dunlop Wintersport 3D on the site. One is a closeout for $155, and the other is fully priced. What's the difference?

Second, when I pull up the shipping screen, I notice that the warehouse given is near me. Can I just go there and pick up my purchase and save $80 in shipping?

No problem! The closeout is an H speed rated standard load and the other is V speed rated extra load. Yes, you can pick up in Connecticut. You would not be able to do a pick up order over the website, but you can call me to set up.

zecpull1

Ready to race!
I went with Powder coated Aluminum wheels in 16s and Pirrelli 210s.. and it was a Night and day difference. My car was so good in Ohio.. and I gave up nothing in handling. Tire Rack was awesome. ..

TWill

year: 2011
make: VW
model: GTI
tires only or winter package: package

I note that 205/50-17 is not a recommended size, though the diameter matches stock and I would think the narrower tread would help in slush. I plan to go with the WS70 -- I've gone through many winter tires and the WS Blizzaks are easily my fav -- on cheapo alloys, and I'm thinking a 17" diameter would be a decent compromise between a taller sidewall for winter potholes and not *quite* as much Buick-like steering response as 16". Thoughts?