GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Water Pump Replacement

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Looks like I will be needing to do this sooner rather than later. Hey kern417, I checked with some online VW stores and they don't sell just the water pump. They only list the entire housing instead. Did you happen to get yours from Urotuning? They have it listed as a FSI water pump (2006-2008). I don't want to get the wrong part. Mine is a '12 BTW and yes, I am a tad past 60K mile warranty.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
like i said, it depends on what you really need. i don't know that you'll know until you pull the assembly off. if it's cracked, you'll have to replace the whole thing. and you can't just buy the housing.

To find the pump, go to ECS and put in your car. Then on the left hand side choose Engine ---> Cooling ----> Water Pump ----> OE and a bunch of options will be available. This was the cheap one: http://www.ecstuning.com//ES2535364/. You might find better pricing elsewhere by searching the part number in google.

danham

...A lot of people shit on flat-rate techs and dealer techs for no reason. There are a lot of hacks out there, but there are also plenty of shade-tree mechanics that don't do much better. Not trusting someone to do their job because of how they get paid does not seem fair if you have not had work done before. I'm a flat-rate tech and while there are plenty of short cuts taken to save time - doing the job incorrectly wastes more time than doing it right in my experience. Time is made by knowing what to do, how to do it and where to do it correctly.

Well said. I don't know how VoA does it these days, but when I was a Porsche-Audi tech back in the '70s, any come-backs were charged against our accumulated flat rate time. So if I did it wrong, I ate it big time.

As my dad, who used to race a supercharged MG used to say, never hurry, but move quickly.

-dan

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
like i said, it depends on what you really need. i don't know that you'll know until you pull the assembly off. if it's cracked, you'll have to replace the whole thing. and you can't just buy the housing.

To find the pump, go to ECS and put in your car. Then on the left hand side choose Engine ---> Cooling ----> Water Pump ----> OE and a bunch of options will be available. This was the cheap one: http://www.ecstuning.com//ES2535364/. You might find better pricing elsewhere by searching the part number in google.

I was thinking about getting just the water pump but decided to go with the entire housing. I didn't want to open it up and having to need the housing. Downtime during the week sucks in my situation. Ended up spending $256 including s/h from vwpartsvortex. :thumbsup:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
not bad. check out getvwparts.com, you can get it even cheaper. if you put in the coupon code "vmo" (stands for vortex members only) you get an additional 5% off.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
** UPDATE: got the damn water pump replaced today. WOOHOO!!! Now I can sleep easier knowing it's done. This guide was very helpful. For those who are planning to tackle this job on your own, don't rush it. If you are mechanically inclined, this would be about a 5.5 on a scale of 1-10...1 being easy and 10 being difficult. Just make sure you have the proper tools to work with.

I didn't put the screws in any ziploc bags because honestly there weren't that many. Just keep track of the intake manifold screws and nuts. Other than that, the water pump was easy to remove and re-install. Cleaning the valve chamber didn't take that long either in my case. For some odd reason, only #3 valve chamber had the most gunk in it. The other 3 weren't that bad. Good o' carb/choke cleaner, old toothbrush and screwdriver did the trick. As for the intake port "flaps" (that slide into the intake ports), brake/parts cleaner and a scraper is what you need to get those grime off.

Overall impressions:
- the throttle is more responsive (even with AC on)
- the sound of the car is much quieter (had radio/cd player off)
- doesn't smell that bad any more (I have a catless DP)

Last edited:

Ryyyyyy

Ready to race!
** UPDATE: got the damn water pump replaced today. WOOHOO!!! Now I can sleep easier knowing it's done. This guide was very helpful. For those who are planning to tackle this job on your own, don't rush it. If you are mechanically inclined, this would be about a 5.5 on a scale of 1-10...1 being easy and 10 being difficult. Just make sure you have the proper tools to work with.

I didn't put the screws in any ziploc bags because honestly there weren't that many. Just keep track of the intake manifold screws and nuts. Other than that, the water pump was easy to remove and re-install. Cleaning the valve chamber didn't take that long either in my case. For some odd reason, only #3 valve chamber had the most gunk in it. The other 3 weren't that bad. Good o' carb/choke cleaner, old toothbrush and screwdriver did the trick. As for the intake port "flaps" (that slide into the intake ports), brake/parts cleaner and a scraper is what you need to get those grime off.

Overall impressions:
- the throttle is more responsive (even with AC on)
- the sound of the car is much quieter (had radio/cd player off)
- doesn't smell that bad any more (I have a catless DP)

I am looking to tackle this with a friend this weekend.

So just to confirm, you DID take off the intake manifold? I read from previous comments that it isn't necessary but why did you decide to remove it? I am trying to limit the work as much as possible. If I don't really need to remove the IM, I won't do it.

Also, do you think you can specifically let me know where and what you ordered? Were there additional things you had to purchase besides the entire water pump and housing? I have a 2012 GTI, manual transmission. I am afraid to order the wrong parts and/or not order needed parts!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I am looking to tackle this with a friend this weekend.

So just to confirm, you DID take off the intake manifold? I read from previous comments that it isn't necessary but why did you decide to remove it? I am trying to limit the work as much as possible. If I don't really need to remove the IM, I won't do it.

Also, do you think you can specifically let me know where and what you ordered? Were there additional things you had to purchase besides the entire water pump and housing? I have a 2012 GTI, manual transmission. I am afraid to order the wrong parts and/or not order needed parts!

Yes, I did remove the intake manifold off to get to the water pump housing. I know GTiProject mentioned you don't have to but I did so because I wanted to clean the crud off the valve chambers. With the manifold off, you have SO MUCH ROOM to work with. If you know how to wrench on cars, you can definitely do this by yourself. Another person may get in the way since you only go under the car to remove the belly pan cover and charge pipe.

If I'm not mistaken, there may be a difference in water pumps from a CCTA and CBFA engine. Don't quote me on it. Remember, the tensioner for the belt is reversed thread 12mm bolt. Make sure to have a #10 triple square bit to remove the intake manifold bracket. It is easier to get to this bolt from on top...underneath the throttle body.

Here's a list of the parts I ordered:
06H121026CQ --- water pump housing (comes with new water pump, thermostat, engine coolant temp sensor and gasket to mount to engine)

06H121131C -- union seal (between engine oil cooler and w/p)

06H121605E --- water pump belt

(2) bolts that surround the engine coolant temp sensor -- Sorry, I forgot the part number. Might want to call them to verify.

www.wvpartsvortex.com is where I bought my stuff from.

Last edited:

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
great diy the only other writeup i've seen for this is on the mkv forums and a bunch of the pictures were hosted on fb and are no longer available

and you can never be too wordy for a DIY, just makes it easier for the less mechanically inclined to follow.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i know ): i had the stuff at home but waiting for it to soak and scrub etc. didn't seem appealing at the time. i just wanted it back together.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I let the carb/choke cleaner set for about 5-7minutes on each chamber before scrubbing them. They weren't as bad as those I have seen from other's pics online. Then again, for the past month and half, I have been using ethanol free gasoline. I believe that has helped a bit with minimzing carbon buildup.