GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick poll: Who has their Mechatronic unit replaced?

dcarony

Ready to race!
2013 TDI - 6600 miles - no mods - DSG made a loud bang on upshift from 3rd to 4th in D, lost on control of trans, only had 1st and 3rd gear, no reverse either. Wasn't fun to have this happen during rush hour on highway that uses breakdown lane as travel lane during that time - no where to go.
Dealer has car and plans to replace Mechatronic unit - Part is on backorder and he wouldn't even give me a guess at timeframe.

Mechatronics is getting replaced on my MY10 GTI.

It's been some time now than my car jerks, do false neutrals, and even once went Forward when shifted in R....

We were pissed off, and documented the complete history since we got the car.
After 2 years, and 40k km (26k miles) that was enough. We should have complained more before but they were always saying it was normal (jerks).

We got a Corrola with completly worn winter tires (very dangerous in 1st snow), we complained and got a brand new Kia Rondo with new winter tires...sounds like a nice upgrade compared to the old Corolla, but is isn't lol. It is dangerous on highway (doesn't go in straight line easily).

It's been almost 2 weeks they got our car and we miss it.

It gets us wondering about the future. We are not sure we want to keep the car as long as we planned. Time for an S4 soon maybe...if only Audi could bring the Avant.

Both of you have symptoms exactly like my car had. They say its the mechatronics unit, but inevitably they're gonna change your entire transmission. It's gonna take over a month before its all said and done, and its a temporary fix. I believe something is wrong with fitment and it fucks up the tranny, welcome to the club.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
Maybe you're right.

I wanted to be optimistic, but let's realistic, plenty of people have no problem with the DSG tranny. But I read many stories that when they start to fudge up, VW begins to change the mecha, then the clutch pack, then the whole thing.

Question : To those who had the mechatronics changed, did VW change the oil of the whole DSG ? I was about to do it soon, but since they play with it under warranty, I wondered if they could change the oil for free.

Thanks,

EDIT : Just called the dealer : After 1 week and a half of waiting, the mechatronics is still not there (up to 14 business day from Germany). I think I'll go visit them to change the Kia for something better. Sorry, but we paid for a fully equipped GTI, I'm expecting a little more than a Kia. I could have a regular Golf and be happy (or even a Jetta...).

Last edited:

dcarony

Ready to race!
How'd it work out?

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
How'd it work out?

Asking me ?

After 3 weeks of waiting, we got our GTI back. The DSG/Mechatronic is working superbly since then! It's like a new tranny.

Apart from the fact that it was a long wait, it was totally worth it !

If you have some complaints about the reaction of the DSG, document it over time, and try to make them correct it. With good documentation, I would have gone to VW Canada (VWAmerica for you...) to assess the issue.

Cheers :D

dcarony

Ready to race!
Asking me ?

After 3 weeks of waiting, we got our GTI back. The DSG/Mechatronic is working superbly since then! It's like a new tranny.

Apart from the fact that it was a long wait, it was totally worth it !

If you have some complaints about the reaction of the DSG, document it over time, and try to make them correct it. With good documentation, I would have gone to VW Canada (VWAmerica for you...) to assess the issue.

Cheers :D
Good to hear :)

zsm722

Ready to race!
2010 GTI / <15K miles / 2 days

For others that are lurking this thread, the way my dealer handled the changing the mechatronics unit was very smooth. got it changed at around 23K miles, they said they were going to drain the DSG fluid, but keep the same filter. I though that was dumb so I paid to have them change the filter. ~$160 dollars at the end. Cheaper than a DSG service out of warranty + free maintenance, so I'm happy at the end of the day. Problem fixed and DSG good till 60k!

-Z

Last edited:

formul8

My GLI farts
Replaced on my previous MkV GLI at 38k. Trans would slam from 2nd to 1st gear when decelerating. Covered under warranty, which included the 40k trans service.

So far, MkVI GTI fine at 37k.

alludc

Passed Driver's Ed
fyi.... even tho the mechatronic unit was replaced under warranty, I had to ask & pay for the filter to be changed even tho they were already in there

zsm722

Ready to race!
fyi.... even tho the mechatronic unit was replaced under warranty, I had to ask & pay for the filter to be changed even tho they were already in there

yup exactly what I said! It didn't make sense to change the fluid and not the filter so I paid anyway

-Z

finallyamused

Ready to race!
Mine was downshifting very rough from 3-2 and 2-1 and when coming to a stop, it would almost stall out. I took it to VW to get it checked out. They called and told me that there was nothing wrong with it (after they apparently put it through a diagnostic test, test drove it, tested it again, and drove it again). I told them that I knew in my gut something was wrong with it, and I was 99% certain that the Mechatronic needed to be replaced. I contacted an acquaintance of mine that works at that particular dealership and a few hours later, I got a call saying the tech took it out for another drive, and was able to duplicate what I was explaining. He further told me that my Mechatronic was bad and they ordered a new one. When I went to pick up my car, the invoice had the same mileage in and out, but actually had 10 additional miles on it. I personally think that they closed out the ticket, and after I contacted my friend actually drove it. It's been 6 business days since they ordered the new one. They say they don't know what was taking so long, but it was a priority to them. I'm sure it's not, as it's warranty work....I also think that because of the fact I'm a girl, they think I don't care as much. It was a bit irritating, but at least I'll be getting a new one, hopefully sooner than later.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
Girl or not, they should listen to customers. If you know something is wrong because you feel it, then they should care.

That's exactly what happened on my car. DSG is a very tricky transmission and it's a matter of feeling ! Dealership was telling me everything was OK, so I began to write everything. At last, the car reversed one time when on D so....that was the right time to go to the dealership.

It took weeks to get the parts and get them installed.

But you'll see, it will be worth it ! New tranny !

PS Ask for a DSG oil filter change. I'm pretty sure they have to drain the DSG oil to change the mechatronic, so be sure to make the whole oil change even if you have to pay extra for it. DSG oil change is quick expensive ! So an amost free one is pleasant.

finallyamused

Ready to race!
I called VW today to see if they had any word on the ETA for my Mechatronic and didn't get great news. The service person that I was working with wasn't there, so I spoke with a gentleman in parts. He told me it won't be in until the 1st or 2nd week of October. I would be completely fine with it taking that long, if they would've just told me that from the beginning.

The first guy that I talked to (when I originally dropped it off and he looked straight past me to my boyfriend and asked "How can I help you?") told me IF the Mechatronic was the problem, they'd order it on Friday and have it on Monday.

The second guy that I talked to (the one who called to tell me there was no problem and then called back to say there was) told me 3-5 days and it comes from Jacksonville. He's also the one I called on Friday and he said he had no idea what was taking so long, and he was checking everyday, as this is a priority for them.

The parts guy today told me it takes 3-4 weeks because it comes from Germany.

Dumb Question: If there is a plant in Chattanooga, why would it come from Germany?

I called VW today to see if they had any word on the ETA for my Mechatronic and didn't get great news. The service person that I was working with wasn't there, so I spoke with a gentleman in parts. He told me it won't be in until the 1st or 2nd week of October. I would be completely fine with it taking that long, if they would've just told me that from the beginning.

The first guy that I talked to (when I originally dropped it off and he looked straight past me to my boyfriend and asked "How can I help you?") told me IF the Mechatronic was the problem, they'd order it on Friday and have it on Monday.

The second guy that I talked to (the one who called to tell me there was no problem and then called back to say there was) told me 3-5 days and it comes from Jacksonville. He's also the one I called on Friday and he said he had no idea what was taking so long, and he was checking everyday, as this is a priority for them.

The parts guy today told me it takes 3-4 weeks because it comes from Germany.

Dumb Question: If there is a plant in Chattanooga, why would it come from Germany?

cos they only assemble cars in Chattabooger....

They make VW Engines/ trannies/ Electronic units all over the world. Just not in the US of A.

zsm722

Ready to race!
mine took about a week to come, I was told it is special order from Germany too