GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick poll: Who has their Mechatronic unit replaced?

MikeGTi1

Ive had my mechatronics unit replaced twice. does anyone know what i should to prevent having to fix this once a year? im apr stage 2. maybe a tranny upgrade?

McQueen77

Banned
Ive had my mechatronics unit replaced twice. does anyone know what i should to prevent having to fix this once a year? im apr stage 2. maybe a tranny upgrade?

wait but i thought DSG was supposed to be able to hold so much more power than the manual gearbox?

I know my noob is going to show with this question but... what is Mechatronic?

JP

humor me: how can you have 1400+ posts and all the mods in your sig and not know what the Mechatronics Unit is? i have a manual and know what the mechatronics unit is and does. just leads one to think that you have no idea what all those other mods actually are that you did to your car; what they do. was it just like, you made a list of mods people do having no idea what they actually are or how they function in relation to the operation of the vehicle and then just paid to have them done? sorry, it just blows my mind. if you were stock i could understand, but all those mods and one would think you'd be a little more interested in the mechanical workings of your vehicle.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion

Did you pay out your own pocket for the replacement mechatronic units?
Or is it still a warranty item even with the tune?

Andyman

Ready to race!
I took my 2010, (43K miles)in last week to get the DSG service that is suppose to be done at 40K. They said the car lurches forward and bucks sometimes when starting from a stop, they test drove after servicing it.... Mechatronic unit is on order and will be replaced for free next week. Oh and they do know my car is tuned APR.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
humor me: how can you have 1400+ posts and all the mods in your sig and not know what the Mechatronics Unit is? i have a manual and know what the mechatronics unit is and does. just leads one to think that you have no idea what all those other mods actually are that you did to your car; what they do. was it just like, you made a list of mods people do having no idea what they actually are or how they function in relation to the operation of the vehicle and then just paid to have them done? sorry, it just blows my mind. if you were stock i could understand, but all those mods and one would think you'd be a little more interested in the mechanical workings of your vehicle.

Umm....this thread was back in Feb 2011. He joined in Nov 2010.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I took my 2010, (43K miles)in last week to get the DSG service that is suppose to be done at 40K. They said the car lurches forward and bucks sometimes when starting from a stop, they test drove after servicing it.... Mechatronic unit is on order and will be replaced for free next week. Oh and they do know my car is tuned APR.

Interesting. Nice one.
Did the tune even come up?
Is it normally a part dealers don't cover under warranty and blame on a tune?
If you are at that many miles, maybe 2012 cars have a more robust mechatronics unit.
Seems like the only thing to worry about on the DSG.

MikeGTi1

i thought this two queen, but i dont think power is the issue, think its more of a electronical thing? and
Data the first time i got it replaced under warranty, didnt have the tune then, was acting up in rev. now i have the tune but out of warranty period but i was told they woulda fixed it under warranty even with the tune if i had been under 60k. my cars still at the shop waiting for more 'programing' had mechatronics unit replaced for little over 2g.

Still looking for an answer to my previous question, cant find anything on mechatronic upgrade?

Andyman

Ready to race!
Interesting. Nice one.
Did the tune even come up?
Is it normally a part dealers don't cover under warranty and blame on a tune?
If you are at that many miles, maybe 2012 cars have a more robust mechatronics unit.
Seems like the only thing to worry about on the DSG.

My dealership knows I'm tuned and it didn't come up, they replaced the unit and said the newer ones are more robust.... I'm driving a 2010. I had no idea I even needed the unit replaced, I can really tell a difference.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
My dealership knows I'm tuned and it didn't come up, they replaced the unit and said the newer ones are more robust.... I'm driving a 2010. I had no idea I even needed the unit replaced, I can really tell a difference.

Thanks for the info. Looking like ill have to go for it.
Giac or APR is now the question. I like that the Giac one seems to have better throttle response from dead stop.

Gdubster

TDI MK5 pacific (Australian Model)

I have MKV TDI 2009 model, My warranty just ran out 1 month ago. I have just serviced my car 45 K service even tho its 37K at the moment. Coz car was msg me to get it serviced...had to shut it up...anyways, I was called by the dealer saying that I have a problem with DSG mechatronics, its failed when they checked. Needs to be replaced. He also mentioned that my warranty ran out 2 months ago. BUT they had a talk with the Managment and they decided to replace it but I have to pay only 310 dollars (50% of the installation charge) thats all.
I agreed and I think I made a good decision.
One way to know if ur DSG feels funny is that, when u slowing down, u can hear it thru from 3rd to 2nd, heavy clunk noise , it doesnt feel right, always thru 2n n 3d...it feels heavy.
otherwise car is great , awesome tourqe, I even love the sound of diesel accelerating better than GTI.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Don't you have the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty (in addition to the 3yr/36K bumper-to-bumper) Down Under?

Wayne0

I have just serviced my car 45 K service even tho its 37K at the moment

evilempire

2013 TDI - 6600 miles - no mods - DSG made a loud bang on upshift from 3rd to 4th in D, lost on control of trans, only had 1st and 3rd gear, no reverse either. Wasn't fun to have this happen during rush hour on highway that uses breakdown lane as travel lane during that time - no where to go.
Dealer has car and plans to replace Mechatronic unit - Part is on backorder and he wouldn't even give me a guess at timeframe.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
Mechatronics is getting replaced on my MY10 GTI.

It's been some time now than my car jerks, do false neutrals, and even once went Forward when shifted in R....

We were pissed off, and documented the complete history since we got the car.
After 2 years, and 40k km (26k miles) that was enough. We should have complained more before but they were always saying it was normal (jerks).

We got a Corrola with completly worn winter tires (very dangerous in 1st snow), we complained and got a brand new Kia Rondo with new winter tires...sounds like a nice upgrade compared to the old Corolla, but is isn't lol. It is dangerous on highway (doesn't go in straight line easily).

It's been almost 2 weeks they got our car and we miss it.

It gets us wondering about the future. We are not sure we want to keep the car as long as we planned. Time for an S4 soon maybe...if only Audi could bring the Avant.