GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG or stick?

mk6-k

Ready to race!
There may be two tranny choices, but you're paying for the DSG, a lot! I always felt connected driving a manual. I guess for us manual guys, shifting whether it be in or out of traffic is no big thing!!!!

scooby103

Passed Driver's Ed
I come from a long line of manual VW's and as you get older you get tired of rowing the gears. Especially true when the DSG is faster. Why buy a slower less advanced hatch when the answer is offered?

Sent on my Atrix using Tapatalk.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Also, you may have a reliability problem with the DSG, especially if you're beating up on the car a lot, especially after mods.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
You can tell what gear you're in next to the clock on your MFD.

The kick-down mechanism is fantastic and so much fun when you're weaving about traffic.

Yeah true, I guess I'm just not used to looking at the dash for that info.

Also I love how the DSG will hold gears -- great for finding holes in traffic and I think it'll be fantastic on the track/autox.

paddypool

Ready to race!
For me it came down to traffic. I live in Phoenix and while our traffic isn't as bad as LA or Chi town, it's still bad enough to piss me off everyday. I won't even drive manual in a DSG in traffic let alone having to shift AND clutch in a manual. If you're driving manual in traffic, 6 months is a far too conservative estimate. If you're driving in daily traffic, I give it a week before you wish you would have gone with DSG. It may not be as much fun and sure if I was a young kid in high school or college or retired, I would definitely go with stick. But if you're like most people and have to put up with the worst abomination on the face of the planet otherwise known as rush hour, def go with the DSG.

+ 1...
If your going to be in traffic then manual in first gear in fits & starts = pain in the A**!
a couple of small things that annoys me in the MK6 DSG, is that the light showing what gear your in is just a tad brighter than the other gears not engauged:mad:
Should be in a different colour.....& VW also took out the 'beep/noise' that alerts you to the fact you engauged reverse....

Overall I love my first DSG:thumbup:

ghostwind

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah true, I guess I'm just not used to looking at the dash for that info.

Also I love how the DSG will hold gears -- great for finding holes in traffic and I think it'll be fantastic on the track/autox.

Actually the DSG's shortcoming is that it DOESN'T hold gears in manual mode. It will auto-upshift at redline for you. Not good for the track...

Ivoryplum

Passed Driver's Ed
My current car, which I've had for 7 years, is stick...and I'm still not bored shifting through the gears.

You're more connected to the car driving a stick, with the benefit of added control.

VEGASVWGTI

Ready to race!
I will NEVER own another DSG in a GTI. I have owned both. They are both fun in their own ways. The manual requires a better more focused driver to be driven properly. There are pros and cons to this obviously. My gripe with the DSG is as follows.

1) Purchase Cost
2) Maintenance Cost
3) Reliability Cost- Yes mine failed (stock) and was out of commision on a very expensive repair for quite some time. Took half a summer to figure out what the problem was. :mad0259: They are complex pieces of machinery. There is more stuff to go wrong. People who tune cars with DSG's are brave!
4) Terrible hot weather performance/underpowered upshifts under load.
5) Cost

I am pleased with the control I have over the car with the manual. I understand what needs to happen when under load in 115 degree weather and execute it properly everytime. The DSG does not perform with such consisitency or precision under these conditions.

So I suffer long clutch travel, reduced comfort in seating position, long shift throws and the inability to flawlessly operate all the technology in this car while eating and driving at the same time...

Is it worth the sacrifice?...

YES!

ghostwind

Passed Driver's Ed
I will NEVER own another DSG in a GTI. I have owned both. They are both fun in their own ways. The manual requires a better more focused driver to be driven properly. There are pros and cons to this obviously. My gripe with the DSG is as follows.

1) Purchase Cost
2) Maintenance Cost
3) Reliability Cost- Yes mine failed (stock) and was out of commision on a very expensive repair for quite some time. Took half a summer to figure out what the problem was. :mad0259: They are complex pieces of machinery. There is more stuff to go wrong. People who tune cars with DSG's are brave!
4) Terrible hot weather performance/underpowered upshifts under load.
5) Cost

I am pleased with the control I have over the car with the manual. I understand what needs to happen when under load in 115 degree weather and execute it properly everytime. The DSG does not perform with such consisitency or precision under these conditions.

So I suffer long clutch travel, reduced comfort in seating position, long shift throws and the inability to flawlessly operate all the technology in this car while eating and driving at the same time...

Is it worth the sacrifice?...

YES!

1. The DSG can in fact handle more power - the manual may in fact need a clutch upgrade.

2. Terrible hot weather performance in AUTO mode you mean? But why would you not use the lever or paddles in MANUAL DSG mode? So the argument fails - you have the same control. DSG in AUTO may not perform as you would, but in MANUAL mode, it does the same as a H shifter manual. Again, the "control" argument fails each and every time. You don't see race car drivers that race GT cars that use sequential gerboxes or dual-clutch complaining about lack of "control". Hogwash..

3. Sounds like you mostly drove your DSG in AUTO/D mode. Why would you say you need to be more focused driving a manual then? A good driver is focused and involved regardless of transmission choice.

4. Again, DSG or MANUAL, is STRICTLY a preference.

Last edited:

VEGASVWGTI

Ready to race!
4. Again, DSG or MANUAL, is STRICTLY a preference.

Hmmm, I see. I have owned both transmission types in this car... have you?

My goal is to add to the overall knowledge base providing each reader the opportunity to choose what is most appropriate to their needs.

Where in the "USA" do you live? If it was a place with extreme summer temperatures, you would understand what I mean by the choices of shift points the computer makes while under load when not driven manually. This is obvious to most manual drivers even ones that are not subjected to the poor performance in extreme weather conditions.

This vehicle paired to a DSG performs poorly in extreme temperatures period. It is not negotiable, it is not an opinion, it is reality and that will never be repeated at least not by me.

I wish you the best of luck as you are apparently quite positively passionate about your decision.

ghostwind

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmm, I see. I have owned both transmission types in this car... have you?

My goal is to add to the overall knowledge base providing each reader the opportunity to choose what is most appropriate to their needs.

Where in the "USA" do you live? If it was a place with extreme summer temperatures, you would understand what I mean by the choices of shift points the computer makes while under load when not driven manually. This is obvious to most manual drivers even ones that are not subjected to the poor performance in extreme weather conditions.

This vehicle paired to a DSG performs poorly in extreme temperatures period. It is not negotiable, it is not an opinion, it is reality and that will never be repeated at least not by me.

I wish you the best of luck as you are apparently quite positively passionate about your decision.

I think you need to re-read my post again, especially my point #2. It's very logical, and now you agree that in fact you meant DSG in AUTO mode behaves/shifts "poorly" (whatever that means anyway..) in extreme temps. And I don't see the point of that comparison as I pointed out clearly.

I have a lot of experience in both race and street cars - you can read my post history if you like, especially in this thread. I have nothing against manual cars, my 911 is manual. I have nothing against any transmission or car even. I was just correcting and clarifying some of your statements. People are free to choose whatever transmission they like. But when I see bold statements like yours, I step in.

I have driven all types of trannies - H, sequential, dual-clutch, auto, etc. Some in race cars (Formula Ford 1600/2000 and 911 RSRs) and some in street cars (too many to list, but both GTIs to answer your question). You can make all the bold statements you like, but back them up logically. Cost factor against DSG? OK. I didn't disagree. The rest ("control", etc.) I pointed out clearly where I found your statements to not hold water.

BTW, I live in the North East, but have raced all over, including in extreme temperatures at Sebring, VIR, and Road Atlanta in different cars. I know a bit about how transmissions work. Sounds again like you are basing your arguments against DSG solely based on how DSG behaves in AUTO mode.

Last edited:

ghostwind

Passed Driver's Ed

Complete rubbish and BS, unless you are strictly talking about DSG in AUTO mode. Again, read my posts.