GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG or stick?

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
STICK ! , if I can do it all over again with the knowledge I know now ..
STICK ... ever since I have join this forum I had learned so much more about
my car ... because DSG in my TDI will cost me 800-1000 @ 40K maintance _ - _

AlphaGypsy

Ready to race!
Hey all this is my first post, I am soon going to be a 2011 GTI owner. Just test drove one today and wow it was fun to drive, i was hellbent on getting a stick but after driving the dsg i just dont know.

I know how to drive stick I just have never owned a stick car.

My girlfriend and father are trying to convince me that i will get bored of stick and it'll be fun for the first 6 months then get boring.

Do any of you stick drivers have any input here?
Are you guys bored of driving stick?

I'm basically torn between the stick or DSG.
:bellyroll:

For me it came down to traffic. I live in Phoenix and while our traffic isn't as bad as LA or Chi town, it's still bad enough to piss me off everyday. I won't even drive manual in a DSG in traffic let alone having to shift AND clutch in a manual. If you're driving manual in traffic, 6 months is a far too conservative estimate. If you're driving in daily traffic, I give it a week before you wish you would have gone with DSG. It may not be as much fun and sure if I was a young kid in high school or college or retired, I would definitely go with stick. But if you're like most people and have to put up with the worst abomination on the face of the planet otherwise known as rush hour, def go with the DSG.

dbest6808

Ready to race!
Manual if you want big performance, dsg for basic chipped gti's

You must be meaning to say a rebuilt upgraded manual for big performance cause stock compnents are going to fail much much quicker than the DSG would with the same level of mods. Just sayin

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
DSG is nice because you sort of get the best of both worlds. You get the ability to control when you change gears (obviously up to a point) and you can give it a fanging when you want and also you have auto to just relax cruise. Ultimately, you shouldn't let other people dictate what transmission you choose. Which ever you choose makes you no less of man than you are and it's DSG, one of the best automatic transmissions in the world.

I wouldn't really consider that the best of both worlds. DSG is NOTHING like driving manual. Sure it's the same concept as changing gears but it's no where near close.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
get the manual all real sport car should be. even tho autos are geting really good think pdk, dsg...... theres just something about having all the control that u get with the manual. thats y Porsches best cars are manual gt2,gt2 rs,gt3,gt3 rs,gt3 rs 4.0

ghostwind

Passed Driver's Ed
get the manual all real sport car should be. even tho autos are geting really good think pdk, dsg...... theres just something about having all the control that u get with the manual. thats y Porsches best cars are manual gt2,gt2 rs,gt3,gt3 rs,gt3 rs 4.0

Most "real" sport cars that race are not manual, but have either sequential gearboxes or dual-clutch. The reason Porsche's GT cars have a manual, is for weight savings and the clutch - not because you have "more control" with a manual. Valid reasons, but not for why you think.

UrFoolishness

For me, not having to reach for the long clutch travel, allows for a much more comfortable seat steering wheel position. But ive got freakishly short legs and long torso, so the dsg allows the perfect driving position. If they had adjustable pedals , i might have had the mtx. We should be gald that vdubs offer such a high performance "auto". really it comes to personal choices, and choosing a VW was the most important decision! After that its just small stuff.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just picked up my DSG GTI yesterday (my GF isn't comfortable driving manual and this will be a shared car). Here are some thoughts, having driven stick exclusively the past 10 years.

First, I thought I'd miss rowing my gears more, but so far so good. The DSG is satin smooth and lightning quick on upshifts, and I'm enjoying the uninterrupted turbine-like acceleration. It's also fun slowing for corners, flicking the paddle twice and getting two quick rev-matched downshifts, and flying out of corners.

Some annoyances of driving the DSG gearbox in manual mode: 1) have to remember what gear you're in, 2) downshifts are somewhat abrupt (I can downshift more smoothly in a true manual), and 3) slight lag off the line, whereas in a manual, you can slip the clutch to avoid bogging the engine. Also, I have to agree with those above that shifting in a DSG is nowhere near as involving as shifting in a manual.

Anyway, DSG and manual both have their advantages and disadvantages. Just have to try them both and see which you like better. No regrets here though, DSG is much better than I thought it would be.

Geo1

Passed Driver's Ed
Just picked up my DSG GTI yesterday (my GF isn't comfortable driving manual and this will be a shared car). Here are some thoughts, having driven stick exclusively the past 10 years.

First, I thought I'd miss rowing my gears more, but so far so good. The DSG is satin smooth and lightning quick on upshifts, and I'm enjoying the uninterrupted turbine-like acceleration. It's also fun slowing for corners, flicking the paddle twice and getting two quick rev-matched downshifts, and flying out of corners.

Some annoyances of driving the DSG gearbox in manual mode: 1) have to remember what gear you're in, 2) downshifts are somewhat abrupt (I can downshift more smoothly in a true manual), and 3) slight lag off the line, whereas in a manual, you can slip the clutch to avoid bogging the engine. Also, I have to agree with those above that shifting in a DSG is nowhere near as involving as shifting in a manual.

Anyway, DSG and manual both have their advantages and disadvantages. Just have to try them both and see which you like better. No regrets here though, DSG is much better than I thought it would be.

You can tell what gear you're in next to the clock on your MFD.

The kick-down mechanism is fantastic and so much fun when you're weaving about traffic.