GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UBER-STEALTH Under Floor Sub Install

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking about going this route with my "new" setup. I will retain the spare tire, but DITCH the factory VW jack for one from a Civic. Yes, it's way safer than that widow-maker crap.

It's only a widow maker if you are foolish enough to crawl under your car. ;)

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
It's only a widow maker if you are foolish enough to crawl under your car. ;)

I have used that one time helping a friend on his A3 in his house garage and it looked flimsy. Imagine using it on the side of the road. Not safe at all. I'm worried about the car moving and falling onto the ground.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
So, my totally original ( ;) ) system is complete with the box arrival today.

Now I just need to wire it up.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Are those boxes carpet covered? I thought Nik was moving over to all black/rubber coating? Looks very good with the carpet I think.

Are the amp/LC2i mounted on a lower portion? It's hard to explain, but the raised ridges on either side of the speaker. It looks like it drops back down for the lower right leg where you have to equipment mounted to keep the trunk mat from sitting directly on top of them.

Do you have a plan in mind for supporting the trunk mat so that it doesn't sag in the corner where the amp/LOC are??

I like the combination of the two foam replacement pieces you have though. Makes me wish I wasn't so cheap!

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Are those boxes carpet covered? I thought Nik was moving over to all black/rubber coating? Looks very good with the carpet I think.

I opted into the rubber coating, but he went ahead with carpet anyway it seems. I'm cool with that though. :)

Are the amp/LC2i mounted on a lower portion? It's hard to explain, but the raised ridges on either side of the speaker. It looks like it drops back down for the lower right leg where you have to equipment mounted to keep the trunk mat from sitting directly on top of them.

Yes, that portion is lower than the area where the sub is. The amp is just lower than the ridge below the sub.

Do you have a plan in mind for supporting the trunk mat so that it doesn't sag in the corner where the amp/LOC are??

I'm going to make a stand-off or two that will keep the mat supported and level with the rest of the floor. Thinking a painted PVC tube on a flat bracket or something.

I like the combination of the two foam replacement pieces you have though. Makes me wish I wasn't so cheap!

Yes, the tool cubby/box for the left is nice, It will let me keep the jack and tools in the back.

I opted for the full plywood construction and the box is quite sturdy and still light.

hilld

Ready to race!
I'm going to make a stand-off or two that will keep the mat supported and level with the rest of the floor. Thinking a painted PVC tube on a flat bracket or something.

I just ordered some black delrin rod to make standoffs, they should be arriving via USPS tomorrow (I hope) and will center drill them and screw them into the plywood shelf. Should do the trick and look better than painted pvc. Will post pics when I have it done.

dcpppf

Ready to race!

I like the looks of it. Wish I would have talked to Nik more about that ledge to mount the amp on. Looks very clean the way you have it.

I was able to support the corner with no probs, but I skimped on the center above the spare tire. I was using the 1/2" MDF to raise the opposite foam piece up to match the box. I ended up just chucking a half circle piece of scrap directly on top of the spare tire to help support lol. Looks tacky, but easy to take out if I need the spare :p.

You'll have to post pics of the finished product when you get it all installed.

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
the GTI box with the amp mount will only fit the Fosgate PBR 300.1 That box has a larger area due to the offset spare tire in the Golf R

hilld

Ready to race!
I just ordered some black delrin rod to make standoffs, they should be arriving via USPS tomorrow (I hope) and will center drill them and screw them into the plywood shelf. Should do the trick and look better than painted pvc. Will post pics when I have it done.

As promised, using 2 different sizes of Delrin, 1.5" and 2.5" ordered on ebay.

The pieces are 2.5" long and I drilled the top about 1.5 inches with a 1/2" drillbit and drilled 1/4" the rest of the way.

using 1.5" #10 wood screws to go into the 3/4" plywood that the amp sits on, about 1/2" of screw sticking out of the bottom

Before:

After:

All flat again with the temporary (loaner) sub, the new JL Stealthbox has been ordered.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Hild: Nice. :thumbsup:

So, since my R is not quite ready with wiring yet I was sitting here this afternoon and feeling a little bored. I figured I needed to load it up with some Polyfil and screw down the sub, so I might as well do that since I had about an hour before I had to be somewhere.

Then I got the urge to cancel my plans and do the install in the R, but my wife gave me the look that every married man knows. :paddle:

So, I settled for doing a quick totally unscientific Pepsi Challenge type test. My Corvette is already setup and running a JL HD900/5 with JL C5 components and a 10W3V3 sub, so I setup an A/B swapping the sub.

I have to say I'm pretty damned impressed with this Pioneer shallow mount in Nik's box in the 15 minutes I ran it. From my quick listening back to back I would say it seemed like it keeps up with the JL fine in everything except the lowest bass. I don't really listen to music that really bumps anymore, so my selection is dated for that material. I'll just say after playing my current favorites (Punk), I did sample a song on my ipod about someone's posse being on broadway (did I just give away the secret that I'm old?). :)

With the 500 watts from the HD900/5 the sub had plenty of dB in the C6's hatch, I only hope that in the R with the XD300/1 it will complement the DynAudio OEM setup. :)

Nik: Thanks man, the boxes are awesome!

moosecall45

so i read through most of this quick question. i plan on doing a sub install and have the dynaudio set up as well, was wondering what settings you put yours at, and will i have to tune it specifically for my sub setup or will the setings you have be a starting point with tweaking as needed?