Go Kart Champion
My current head unit settings:

Treble -1
Mids 0
Bass -1

I'd guess you'll land close to this.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
so i read through most of this quick question. i plan on doing a sub install and have the dynaudio set up as well, was wondering what settings you put yours at, and will i have to tune it specifically for my sub setup or will the setings you have be a starting point with tweaking as needed?

If you're talking hardware settings vee's setup is in here somewhere. As for mine I turned the HU bass down a bit further than -1. I love bass but like overpowering mids/highs for some reason.

Paul_R

Dynaudio with 8" sub:
Treble -9 (max down)
Mid 0 or + 1 depending on recording
Bass -4
Volume mostly 14 but can go up to 20 if recording quiet.

Remote for sub hardly ever touched. Some tracks have too much bass so need a touch of attenuation.

Pre sub:

moosecall45

hahaha that i can tweak by ear but my question was in regards to the lc2i what setup are your running in regards to the dials on the lc2i, etc. etc. thanks again in advance

moosecall45

If you're talking hardware settings vee's setup is in here somewhere. As for mine I turned the HU bass down a bit further than -1. I love bass but like overpowering mids/highs for some reason.

just saw this a page number would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to say thanks again for the science around the LC2i and for the excellent guide. I got mine wired up this weekend and it pounds!

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Veedoubleme - what did you set the crossover and lp slope filter at on your xd300? I still need to fiddle with it, I was just wondering what conclusion you came to. I don't want to set it up like a home theater sub (ie like 60hz) because the door speakers don't have that much oomph at those frequencies..

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
LP slope is at 24 dB and crossover was initially set at 60, but I think I turned it up a little bit. You'll have to play with that one to see if you like the sound.

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Veedoubleme thank you for such a detailed how to! I was saved by your B pillar wiring information for tapping the rear speakers on my Golf R. Everything worked on the first try!!! Thanks again!!!!

Philimon

Ready to race!
When I tried the sub out of phase with HPF removed, I could tell right away that the sub was hitting much harder, however the mic says that its not playing as low as I was expecting. Can anyone explain?:

Sine sweep out-of-phase (no HPF):

out of phase - no hpf by philimonmon, on Flickr

I have the sub crossed at 60Hz @36db, and the mids at 60Hz @24db. I have tried a crossover @80Hz, but the bass felt missing (I could measure that previous setup quickly if anyone's interested ;)). I'm using aftermarket speakers (no rears) and a DSP by the way. Before I got the sub, I felt like my aftermarket door speakers could play satisfactorily low, but I was worried about damaging them, and my door would resonate and sound ugly. I'm trying to let the sub carry the low frequenies, but I didn't realize that it would be such a narrow band (35Hz-60Hz) for such a cost ($250enclosure+$80sub+$250amp+$100install).

Last edited:

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
I would cross at at least 80, as that's still low enough not to be localized. Also, does your amp have infrasonic protection? It cuts off the really low frequencies?

Also, how many hours on the sub? they will free up after 100 hours or so and play lower.

Philimon

Ready to race!
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/pad1000_1

I've checked and the settings on the amp are correct. I would also guess that I have about 50hrs on the sub. Playing down to 35Hz is plenty and excellent considering its a shallow mount sub and was only $80.

Here is a new graph with 80Hz crossover applied, and all EQ settings reset. I am anxious to start EQing, so I'm just going to use these plots of L vs R to try and EQ each speaker. I'll stop hijacking now.

left side blue, right side purple by philimonmon, on Flickr