GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 IC or SPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Oh man..

Are there any cons to the Godspeed one? For that price and that big of a core. I don't see why anyone wouldn't get their IC..

I think there's more to IC's than core size. While they certainly do have a large role the internal structure plays a large roll as well. For example the revised plastic cap Golf R/S3 intercooler is more efficient than the metal cap S3 intercooler.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I think there's more to IC's than core size. While they certainly do have a large role the internal structure plays a large roll as well. For example the revised plastic cap Golf R/S3 intercooler is more efficient than the metal cap S3 intercooler.

Oh thank God............SOMEBODY FINALLY GETS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bender1

Banned
If the APR unit was somehow able to be priced at like $850, I think they could easily sell twice as many of them, imho. Its just the $1060 or whatever normal price, and then the $9xx sale price is still quite high. I was shocked to see their cores for older VAG cars are also very expensive.

While I think this is true, I also think there is a very strong business case (beyond their obvious quality and productions costs) to keep the price high on them (IMO).

What I really think this thread emphasizes is how critical it is to really carefully consider intercooler choice in a context above and beyond price. Location, as I have mentioned for some time, is really really critical. For some it may be better to buy more IC than you need than not enough.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I also have the Godspeed. It fit PERFECT. I put it in myself, in a driveway, in under 3 hours. I was shocked when everything lined up, but it did. I've been running it for about a year and a half with absolutely no issues and I picked it up brand new off ebay for around $400 shipped!

Lou Maiuri

Banned
no prices on APR unit production cost no care.

BTW still upset that you guys promised free flash upgrades afterwards and I got charged 80$ for stage II installation by one of your "top north american distributors" 4 out of 5 years running and then I find out that a k04 flash is 300. Has been anything but free upgrades. Inb4 graph showing other company upgrade pricing.

A_Bowers

BTW still upset that you guys promised free flash upgrades afterwards and I got charged 80$ for stage II installation by one of your "top north american distributors" 4 out of 5 years running and then I find out that a k04 flash is 300. Has been anything but free upgrades. Inb4 graph showing other company upgrade pricing.

Sorry...been on website for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Just currious...if you had no issues on track with the S3, wouldn't that be a better choice for me since it is lighter? To be honest, the price difference between the two is not a major difference for me. I know I am in the minority on this, but I do think 10 to 20 extra pounds on the nose of the car is a factor on track especially on an already nose heavy car. Isn't the SPM near 30 lbs while the S3 is about 13 lbs?

On our scale the SPM was 30.1, the S3 was 15.2, and the APR was 24.4. And for what's it's worth a started weighing the S3's and APR for consistency and they are always dead on.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!

I'm pretty sure Apr has no control of distributors labor pricing. if your an existing Apr customer the Apr ko4 fully loaded price is 300. if your a new customer it's 800 for one program... that's a decent price in my eyes. good enough for me to buy it a couple months after it was released.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
On our scale the SPM was 30.1, the S3 was 15.2, and the APR was 24.4. And for what's it's worth a started weighing the S3's and APR for consistency and they are always dead on.

This is good info. What's the stock IC weight?

Does anyone have any kind of performance data for any IC upgrades on this engine whatsoever? I have not seen anything in any review thread, vs thread, or product advertisement. The engine has been in use in our cars for 4-5 years now - has no one done any kind of objective test in all that time?

A_Bowers

Does anyone have any kind of performance data for any IC upgrades on this engine whatsoever? I have not seen anything in any review thread, vs thread, or product advertisement. The engine has been in use in our cars for 4-5 years now - has no one done any kind of objective test in all that time?

Like 5 lbs?!

It's stupid light

A_Bowers

No and that is a problem. It's all here say and subjective. No empirical data.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

Besides anyone with a shop, its a bit unrealistic to do any sort of independent testing since the install is so labor intensive. Having helped installed 5 and doing my own....I will say I'm not willing to do that over and over again.

I have logs around the forum that show massive drops in 100F+ weather.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Oh man..

Are there any cons to the Godspeed one? For that price and that big of a core. I don't see why anyone wouldn't get their IC..

No problems with it so far.

While I think this is true, I also think there is a very strong business case (beyond their obvious quality and productions costs) to keep the price high on them (IMO).

What I really think this thread emphasizes is how critical it is to really carefully consider intercooler choice in a context above and beyond price. Location, as I have mentioned for some time, is really really critical. For some it may be better to buy more IC than you need than not enough.

True. But with anything, and esp with my experience in the subie world and true FMIC vs TMICs, etc,, bigger isn't always better. But yes, it does seem the APR is one of the highest quality units, as well as being very large.

I also have the Godspeed. It fit PERFECT. I put it in myself, in a driveway, in under 3 hours. I was shocked when everything lined up, but it did. I've been running it for about a year and a half with absolutely no issues and I picked it up brand new off ebay for around $400 shipped!

:w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.