GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 IC or SPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
also, as I've said before, I tell the "story" of my friend with his APR Stage 3 MKV GTI with APR IC on a hot and very humid night, and we did some runs in his car, then runs in my car K04 APR setup, S3 IC. And both seemed to be equally heatsoaked after a few runs.

HSTuning

Ready to race!
This is good info. What's the stock IC weight?

Does anyone have any kind of performance data for any IC upgrades on this engine whatsoever? I have not seen anything in any review thread, vs thread, or product advertisement. The engine has been in use in our cars for 4-5 years now - has no one done any kind of objective test in all that time?

GTI = 6.7 lbs
GLI = 4.8 lbs
Golf R = 7.4lbs

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
wow^

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Besides anyone with a shop, its a bit unrealistic to do any sort of independent testing since the install is so labor intensive. Having helped installed 5 and doing my own....I will say I'm not willing to do that over and over again.

I have logs around the forum that show massive drops in 100F+ weather.

Yeah I am mainly looking at shops/vendors/manufacturers. Surely these companies did some sort of research when developing their products or choosing which ones to carry/install - Why not share exactly how good their product is? When they don't do that, I assume it's not actually that good and am much less willing to purchase it.

All I know for sure is that the $1000 APR IC will add 17.7 lbs to the nose of my car :lol:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yeah I am mainly looking at shops/vendors/manufacturers. Surely these companies did some sort of research when developing their products or choosing which ones to carry/install - Why not share exactly how good their product is? When they don't do that, I assume it's not actually that good and am much less willing to purchase it.

All I know for sure is that the $1000 APR IC will add 17.7 lbs to the nose of my car :lol:

APR did a study a while back (~2007-2008) PLUS a recent study with comparisons to IC's such as CTS and THS. Data hasnt been released.

HSTuning

Ready to race!

Extensive testing has been performed, just hasn't been released yet as Grambles said. Hold on to your pennies for a little while and you'll get the data you're looking for.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I plan on getting R rear brakes to offset the weight on the front end of my car :lol:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Does anyone have any kind of performance data for any IC upgrades on this engine whatsoever? I have not seen anything in any review thread, vs thread, or product advertisement. The engine has been in use in our cars for 4-5 years now - has no one done any kind of objective test in all that time?

Yes. I do.

There's a lot of data, photos, videos and text to write.

I can compare quality, fitment, features, weight and share data about our cores performance.

Comparing the APR intercooler to an very-well-regarded similar-looking core in back to back torture tests we saw a clear divide. This data can be represented in several different ways as there are quite a few different test conditions to analyze.

One interesting example is the difference between the starting temperature on run one at redline vs the ending temperature on run 6 at redline on the dyno. The APR Intercooler did exceptionally well. In this test the temperature only rose just under 10°F with the APR core while the other rose 35°F. Lesser quality cores will not stand up to this test with good results.

It's quite nice to know our intercooler can take pre intercooler temps in the 340°F range and reduce them down to the 100°F range after 6 consecutive pulls on the dyno while the other core struggles with far higher temps. This results resulted in consistent power pull after pull, which is the exact design intent of the the APR intercooler.

Stay tuned for more information in the near future.

HSTuning

Ready to race!
:lol: I was thinking about relocating the battery (and probably replacing with a smaller one) to the trunk next to the spare tire, but that works too.

I welcomed the weight. With all the 2nd gear corner exits, I figure it aids in traction!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Arin, thanks, but this IC has been available for how many years now and we don't have direct comparisons, etc? its still just "talk" for now, honestly.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It also didn't have 7 competitors until just recently.

true. But its gotta be losing sales now to these competitors, solely based on its price point. If you can show data that proves how superior it is, more people will pony up the additional cash, until then, the other options look very enticing.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
true. But its gotta be losing sales now to these competitors, solely based on its price point. If you can show data that proves how superior it is, more people will pony up the additional cash, until then, the other options look very enticing.

What would you consider superior?

Status
Not open for further replies.