GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well damn ....

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Not much to worry about with the e9x M3s. They are very reliable and built to be abused. Having said that if something does go wrong it could be expensive but that is a gamble you take with most cars these days major problems for all newer cars can get expensive. The 08 CCC iDrive blows compared to 09+ CiC iDrive. With the 09+ cars you can add the modules for the newer iDrive features like BMW apps etc the only thing that is different is the comp package. I miss mine everyday.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
If you want it and can afford it, go for it. Golf R is cool, but it ain't no Em Three. Make sure you check the car thoroughly, all the service history, etc. Be sure to reserve some $$ for the maintenance just in case.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Do you like hatchbacks or sedan/coupes better?

Or is that not a consideration?

Hatchbacks are clearly more utilitarian. But M3=M3, I'd prefer 4 doors but I dunno its crazy to think that I could drive an M3 instead of a Golf R which will cost roughly the same and everyone will just think I got the same car I already had if got with the R :laugh:
If I could get an R for 25k with <30k miles I would. But those deals are not around.

Not much to worry about with the e9x M3s. They are very reliable and built to be abused. Having said that if something does go wrong it could be expensive but that is a gamble you take with most cars these days major problems for all newer cars can get expensive. The 08 CCC iDrive blows compared to 09+ CiC iDrive. With the 09+ cars you can add the modules for the newer iDrive features like BMW apps etc the only thing that is different is the comp package. I miss mine everyday.

Yea I also really prefer the 09+ sedans over the 08s.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
damn. i really am in the wrong state lol

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
^ This. For the price I would take this one over an R.

I am kinda torn... I like that the Golf would be a nicer Daily... I don't know if I can daily a car that gets 15mpg haha I drive 15-20k miles a year still.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Women don't get wet when they see the VW badge but they sure do when they see the Roundel :laugh:

barische

Go Kart Champion
i was looking at M3s in the past and still want one.

keep in mind everything is gonna cost more..

the only brake rotors available cost ~250$ each so u you would blow $500 just for rotors.. its all relative. gonna cost you more for oil changes since it takes like what 7-9 quarts!!

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Hatchbacks are clearly more utilitarian. But M3=M3, I'd prefer 4 doors but I dunno its crazy to think that I could drive an M3 instead of a Golf R which will cost roughly the same and everyone will just think I got the same car I already had if got with the R :laugh:
If I could get an R for 25k with <30k miles I would. But those deals are not around.

There's a 2-door TR Golf R with 10k miles in Nashville, TN and they're asking 28.9. I know that's far from you, but I mention it to illustrate that the deals are getting better.

RGGTI41510

Ready to race!
It would be hard for me to find places where i can push an m3 hard enough to enjoy it. It being used would always be on the back of my mind. It's already 5 years old' how old will it be when you're done paying it off? Gas, maintence and insurance is gonna cost a lot more every single month.

Somebody mentioned the girl getting factor. I dont know your marital status, but this used to be something I (kind of) considered when i was single. But really if a girl gives you attention for driving a BMW that she wouldn't give you for driving a VW, what does that say about that girl? Does that sound like someone who's company you would even enjoy?

But it's DAMN SEXY and for some f'd up reason, people seem to get more respect for driving nice luxury cars.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I love car shopping

Noize

Go Kart Champion
There's a 2-door TR Golf R with 10k miles in Nashville, TN and they're asking 28.9. I know that's far from you, but I mention it to illustrate that the deals are getting better.

Max, if by some crazy notion you'd be interested in that car, I'd be happy to check it out for you, and even put ya up for a night if you ended up flying out here to drive it cross country back West.

I bought a car once and drove from LA to Nashville in two days, and it was a friggin' blast.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
M3.... easily.

RE: Free maintenance - I'd still ask for records as you don't know if the brakes were done within that time period or not, do you? that would be a huge expense when done with oem parts/dealer.

Otherwise, there really is no "maintenance" on these from what I understand. The engine is considered bulletproof and if anything, money would just go towards tires, brakes... and gas ;)