GOLFMKV

Brunkel's Build Thread - '13 United Grey GTI

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Giggity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I remember when I got my Koni's. They ride nice, but they don't go very low haha. Your engine bay is so clean!

How's the clutch been for you? Can you describe the "gear lash" you hear? Does the clutch "stutter" more getting going from a stop in first? Does the pedal feel film? Does it feel too stiff?

I'm stuck between this and a DMFW kit like the RSR.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
I remember when I got my Koni's. They ride nice, but they don't go very low haha. Your engine bay is so clean!

How's the clutch been for you? Can you describe the "gear lash" you hear? Does the clutch "stutter" more getting going from a stop in first? Does the pedal feel film? Does it feel too stiff?

I'm stuck between this and a DMFW kit like the RSR.

That's why I got the konis. I'm all about the ride and don't care too much about stance. I have ST's now and I don't have them that low. Just a bit below stock works for me!

The clutch is great! It's broken in now so I did some pulls and it holds SOLID! The gear lash is a friction sound you hear if you listen for it. If you didn't know anything you wouldn't hear it. It happens in low RPMs getting started in gear, and then when you release the throttle still in gear.

There's absolutely no chatter from this clutch.

No stutter at all. It's very smooth getting started. Much easier to dive than oem and my other kit.

Pedal fee is perfect IMO. It's snappier than stock, meaning it returns back quicker when you take your foot off it. A bit stiffer than stock as well but BARELY. It feels great!

In my experience though pick a clutch that has a warranty and get it done at a shop that warranties their work...

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Lovely engine bay. Love what you did with the battery cover and fuse box. You're giving me ideas lol. I like to keep mine clean as well, really completes the package IMO.

How are you going to run your Koni's rebound wise? I just adjusted mine to 60/60, they're were 60/40 before that.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Lovely engine bay. Love what you did with the battery cover and fuse box. You're giving me ideas lol. I like to keep mine clean as well, really completes the package IMO.

How are you going to run your Koni's rebound wise? I just adjusted mine to 60/60, they're were 60/40 before that.

Thanks! Really happy with how it turned out. Not sure if there's anything left to do for the engine bar now!

No idea on the konis. I haven't looked into it yet and they're sitting in my living room. I've been detailing cars like crazy and haven't had time to think about my own the past 2 weeks :/

Also, is that the Porsche or Audi engine oil cap?

Audi baby. Coolant is Porsche...I wanted the Audi, but $80 for a coolant cap? Psh...please...

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
That's why I got the konis. I'm all about the ride and don't care too much about stance. I have ST's now and I don't have them that low. Just a bit below stock works for me!

The clutch is great! It's broken in now so I did some pulls and it holds SOLID! The gear lash is a friction sound you hear if you listen for it. If you didn't know anything you wouldn't hear it. It happens in low RPMs getting started in gear, and then when you release the throttle still in gear.

There's absolutely no chatter from this clutch.

No stutter at all. It's very smooth getting started. Much easier to dive than oem and my other kit.

Pedal fee is perfect IMO. It's snappier than stock, meaning it returns back quicker when you take your foot off it. A bit stiffer than stock as well but BARELY. It feels great!

In my experience though pick a clutch that has a warranty and get it done at a shop that warranties their work...

Damn you've nearly convinced me. I want my car to maintain "OEM" refinement and everyone says the single mass flywheel takes that away. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Stage 2 Daily! Gear lash is the on;y think I'm not looking forward to, but you make it sound like no big deal.

Thanks for the reply man, car looks great! You make me want to spend a full day detailing my engine bay.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Damn you've nearly convinced me. I want my car to maintain "OEM" refinement and everyone says the single mass flywheel takes that away. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Stage 2 Daily! Gear lash is the on;y think I'm not looking forward to, but you make it sound like no big deal.

Thanks for the reply man, car looks great! You make me want to spend a full day detailing my engine bay.

Thanks! Yeah you will love the South Bend! Gear lash is a factor but like I said I don't mind it. The revs do go up a bit quicker too but that's a plus! It's not a big change but it's noticeable. Plus, for the same price as the kits the use the the original dmfw you get a brand new fly wheel! I also did some more pulls close to WOT and it holds like a champ on stage 2.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Yes on the oil cap. Simple to do. Just needs to be realigned. I think there's a vortex DIY.

Is there no way to align the Porsche coolant cap so it sits in the same orientation as the oil cap? I thought I remember seeing the Audi coolant cap sits inline the same way the oil cap does.