GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It finally happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Just went and picked up my GTI from the dealership, it turned out to be a faulty disc which was replaced under warranty. The service advisor said that there were no signs of scorching or abuse, that it was simply a case of manufacturer defect. The dealership was fully aware of the fact that I was tuned (I don't know exactly what Serpico thought he was emailing them :lol:), and they also knew that this was not a normal incident as they deal with other tuned GTIs on a regular basis. Some of you guys are way too much, so close minded and stubborn to even consider the possibility that I got a faulty part from the factory, AND I'm tuned. Of course tuning would exaggerate any issues and cause them to wear out more quickly, but that doesn't take away from the fact they supplied a faulty part from the factory on a brand new car. If I had just gone out and bought an aftermarket disc and assumed it was just because of the tuning, VW would never be aware of the fact that they supplied a bad part and would do nothing to fix it in the future. The faulty part was replaced, you guys can send apologies to my inbox for your ignorant and immature remarks. :thumbsup:

You just said your car has been handling stage 1 for over 40,000 miles, yet mine can't even make it to 6000 miles of stage 1. You got a better quality clutch than I did. We bought the same car, this is BS.

For those of you who are claiming it's 100% the tune and there isn't an issue, read Bender's clutch thread: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30954

61% occurred at stock

61% of a tiny group of people on this forum.

And I am one of the 39%. My clutch and power level is stock and I have zero power transfer issues.

Mantooth

Ready to race!
Glad to hear it worked out for you OP.

I wonder many people have had legit bad factory clutches replaced not under warranty that were blamed on abuse/tuning? Not a large number I'd bet but nevertheless the tune gives them a great out if they simply don't want to do warranty work.

Someone with a good clutch assumed the same thing in another thread when I brought up that I was having clutching issues. This was my response:

"If I were in your shoes, I would assume the same thing. But you're wrong, I've owned multiple manual cars and beat the crap out of them, and never had any clutch issues or shortened lifespan. I used to drift my 350z to the point where I would change the rear tires about every 2-3 months (at $250 each :eek:), and I didn't start to experience slippage until about 40K miles. Even my very first car, an 02 maxima with a 6-speed, I didn't have to change the clutch ever, and I owned that car for over 50K miles used. I had my GTI for all of 2000 miles before I started experiencing clutch issues."

Did you tune either of the Nissans' V6's though? Were you pumping 25% more torque to their clutches than what Nissan had designed those units to handle?

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
I think we're done here. Good luck OP.

Edit: Re-opened for technical discussion, keep it civil. If you have any issues with the way OP handle's business handle it outside of this forum. Pay him a visit, punch him in the face, I don't care, just don't go crazy on the keyboard.

*I'm not actually advocating forum members to conduct violence, it was a joke.

I guess some people really can't read...... :rolleyes:

serpico

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you tune either of the Nissans' V6's though? Were you pumping 25% more torque to their clutches than what Nissan had designed those units to handle?

Quit using logic.

All VW vehicles should be able to handle the increased power of a stage 1 tune from the factory. If not, the failing part in question is a manufacturing defect and is in no way related to the tune... :lol:

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
So much fail in this thread.

Actually a big difference. Guy walks into a store and grabs a ham and runs out. Theft.

Guy goes into a grocery store pays money for a ham, goes home, seasons it, let's it marinate then smokes it with cherry and applewood and sits down to eat it and it tastes like SHIT. Same preparation and spices used that everyone else does. Takes it back and demands a replacement ham.....store looses money because of a defective product.
loled so hard, but in all seriousness take the car to the damn dealer and get a quote. see whats wrong.

edit:nevermind

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion

I had both tuned with full bolt-ons, but they were NA so the power increase wasn't as drastic. I fully broke in the stock clutch that came with my GTI, which isn't something the guys who have bought a tuned GTI brand new do, and they don't have an undrivable car after 4 months. There was nothing normal about this situation.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Quit using logic.

All VW vehicles should be able to handle the increased power of a stage 1 tune from the factory. If not, the failing part in question is a manufacturing defect and is in no way related to the tune... :lol:

Could somebody please ban this troll already? It's obvious most GTIs don't have a clutch failure this quickly with stage 1 tuning, that has been beaten to death in this thread. On top of that, the clutch was shown to be unabused and a defective part, yet this guy is still trolling around here talking about modified cars when he doesn't even have one. Plus he tried to stalk me outside of the forum and track down where my car was located. Is that considered acceptable behavior on here? :sm3:

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Could somebody please ban this troll already? It's obvious most GTIs don't have a clutch failure this quickly with stage 1 tuning, that has been beaten to death in this thread. On top of that, the clutch was shown to be unabused and a defective part, yet this guy is still trolling around here talking about modified cars when he doesn't even have one. Plus he tried to stalk me outside of the forum and track down where my car was located. Is that considered acceptable behavior on here? :sm3:

^
Scary shit right there. Glad you got your car fixed.

:sm3:

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
You are a lucky man! Did they explain what exactly on the disc was faulty?

No, I asked the service advisor but he didn't know, and the tech who worked on my car was out on lunch when I picked it up. I'm going to call back tomorrow morning to ask exactly what the issue was. All they told me was that there was no scorching or signs of abuse, and that the transmission showed no signs of being damaged.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
No, I asked the service advisor but he didn't know, and the tech who worked on my car was out on lunch when I picked it up. I'm going to call back tomorrow morning to ask exactly what the issue was. All they told me was that there was no scorching or signs of abuse, and that the transmission showed no signs of being damaged.

Interesting... I wonder if its just the material of the clutch disc that can be faulty. Maybe inconsistency of the organic material it's made of can make the friction of the disc very low. Because the Southbend drop in disc works as well as it does simply because of the feramic that they use on the one side. And that's enough to hold as much as K04 with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.